Seeds from female pollinated by herm

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I’ve asked this in other forums, but I thought this would be a good place to ask since there are more breeders here. What kind of stability can I expect from seeds that come from females that were pollinated by a herm?

I had a grow last year that was 3 Kings Banner plants and one Blue Velvet. One of the Kings Banners had Some balls on the back branches that I didn’t see until it was too late And it pollinated the whole tent. When this happened I did some research and one thing that seemed to stand out to me was that self herm seeds are the most unstable...is that correct? I culled that plant based on that, but I grew the remaining 3 all the way through to use for edibles and to collect the seeds.

So now I have a few hundred seeds of Kings Banner and a couple hundred seeds of Kings Banner x Blue Velvet and I’m wondering what kind of stability I should expect with regards to them being prone to herm.

I gave some friends a bunch of seeds and they have all resulted in females with no signs of hermaphrodites, yet, so I’m really interested to see how they turn out. I started some for outside in March, but neglected them and tossed all but one. I put the one I didn’t toss on the desk in my home office as a house plant in early May, and she flowered early, but she makes a nice little office plant.

CC58AA77-D1C3-4FF7-B511-A76960FA5D14.jpeg

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
If the plant is genetically prone to hermaphroditism, then those seeds are undesirable from a breeding standpoint. Nothing wrong with growing them out though.

Did you have any Kings Banner that made it to harvest without being seeded? Just curious to hear your thoughts on the strain since I’m sitting on a pack of them myself.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The answer for breeders is going to be they don't want those seeds at all. They are trying to breed a good plant and they are not starting out with hermies just to negate the work they will put in. Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot right before you run a race.
I totally get that, and thanks for your answer, I was more curious from the perspective of home growing.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
If the plant is genetically prone to hermaphroditism, then those seeds are undesirable from a breeding standpoint. Nothing wrong with growing them out though.

Did you have any Kings Banner that made it to harvest without being seeded? Just curious to hear your thoughts on the strain since I’m sitting on a pack of them myself.
I've grown a few plants of it that finished without seeds, but those were some of my earlier grows, and I definitely didn't grow them to their full potential. The flowers were still very frosty, though, and I really liked the results. It gave me a nice couch lock type of high and has great flavor. All I have left for KB seeds, though, are the ones I got from that accidental pollination. Now that I am getting better at growing I think I'm going to get some more of those seeds to try so I can see how my "happy little accidents" compare.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Just a hillbilly thought, I always thought if you had one or two beans in the lowers etc, that was more of the plant survival mode aka s1 as opposed to a tent full, which indicates full blown Hermie. I'd yank that one and start looking to harvest soon as possible for ok smoke or let seed out and use for concentrates. But beans are worthless to use goin forward, IMHO. Gotta keep a closer eye out, it happens, I had it happen this round after never and I know it was genetics, I yanked it, I'm OCD so I'm checking em multiple times daily. And I still got a few beans, but the smoke is tits, so I know I almost got it in time. Jme and jmho

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Just a hillbilly thought, I always thought if you had one or two beans in the lowers etc, that was more of the plant survival mode aka s1 as opposed to a tent full, which indicates full blown Hermie. I'd yank that one and start looking to harvest soon as possible for ok smoke or let seed out and use for concentrates. But beans are worthless to use goin forward, IMHO. Gotta keep a closer eye out, it happens, I had it happen this round after never and I know it was genetics, I yanked it, I'm OCD so I'm checking em multiple times daily. And I still got a few beans, but the smoke is tits, so I know I almost got it in time. Jme and jmho
This happened last year and the whole tent was pollinated before I caught it. I just collected all the seeds when I harvested it and was curious about what I can expect out of them for home growing.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I totally get that, and thanks for your answer, I was more curious from the perspective of home growing.
Ahhhh.......... that's a different question. I would and have grown some hermie seeds and gotten good results. Never had one of those hermie themselves. Had a bridezilla open one sac down low and I got a few seeds from the lowers on 5 different plants. I saved those to check out later.....even if I don't, lol.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The answer for breeders is going to be they don't want those seeds at all. They are trying to breed a good plant and they are not starting out with hermies just to negate the work they will put in. Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot right before you run a race.
The answer for non-breeders would be similar - in relation to how many seeds they have on hand to grow.

I don't waste time picking balls. Plant is gone. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't still grow them if that's all I had, and hope that all weren't genetically polluted. Depends on how much space you have I guess.