Seed storage

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
So you guys who keep your seeds in the fridge, how do you do it? I used to vac seal them before putting them in the fridge to keep moisture out but that’s a huge pain in the ass every time I need to get seeds out I have to reseal it. So I just put them in a jar this time and stuck them back in the crisper. Same concept it’s air tight and a lot less hassle. Anyone see a potential problem with that?

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
All the beans I've had/have I've always just kept in a jar, in a paper bag, in a drawer in my garage.
Temps stay between 70 to 85 in the summer and down to 40 to 65 in the winter. And it's always pretty dry here, sometimes exceptionally dry.
I've had many a 5 to 10 year old bean pop just fine, have had more germ issues with newer seeds than the old ones. Some of the beans I've popped had been collected over a decade ago before I ever grew anything, was just collecting for when I had a spot to grow. For reference I usually have a 9/10 successful bean germ rate on average.
Damn dude that’s pretty surprising you still have that good of germ rates after those summer temps. Crazy. I guess like most other things, I’ve always been overthinking it lol

Cindysid

I keep mine in a dedicated fridge. I have a fairly large collection that is very precious to me. Before I started refrigerating, I had declining germ rates after 2 years. Since refrigeration, I have managed to germ seeds 10 years old plus. Maybe the humidity here is bad for them. Anyway I have just started using 60 slot storage boxes from ebay and they are great for organization and storage. They are small don't take up much space in the fridge.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
A whole dedicated refrigerator? Respectable lol Ive been thinking about grabbing a mini fridge lately. Gonna wait till after I move tho, so it’s one less thing to move. Yea I have always kept mine in the fridge, I don’t really let shit get older than 2 years tho. Humidity can def fuck seeds up so I bet that’s the difference between you and @Jesselikes2Grow with his everlasting beans lol

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Well i think you can also do this, get your seeds in an eppendorf tube with silica and a thin cotton ring between them to keep the seeds from touching the silica then put the individual vials in a jar, fill the jar with DE to the top, shake it so there are no air pockets left, fill it to the brim and then just close the lid and put the jar into the fridge. I’m sure no moisture will reach the seeds and all that DE will keep them isolated pretty well from any environmental changes. And its pretty cheap.

I don’t know i have never tried this. I vacuum sealed before when i was buying them but now i’m making seeds so i’m not that worried about losing a couple. But for 10-20 bucks for a seed i get the urge to save each and every one of them.

18B

Master of Mayhem
Banned
I keep mine in a dry cool drawer of a dresser...no problems with germ rates etc...I use rice in a large bag with the packs in the rice.
I used to use a fridge but years ago we had a power outage of 2 weeks..."this was before I had a whole house generator"...I didn't get them alternative housing...lost a lot of collectables.