Scarification and Moonbeams

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
These old beans are from '09.

The seed on the left had the edges sanded down. 20210226_201140.jpg

I have a few questions for those that have done this before.

1. Does it need any more than just the edges to help open?

2. Would a barley SST be a good solution to soak the beans in?

3. If successful, would earthworm castings be too much for the seedling to transplant into?

Please share any suggestions or success stories.

I'm even trying under the full moon lol (I'm that desperate)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
These old beans are from '09.

The seed on the left had the edges sanded down. View attachment 84648

I have a few questions for those that have done this before.

1. Does it need any more than just the edges to help open?

2. Would a barley SST be a good solution to soak the beans in?

3. If successful, would earthworm castings be too much for the seedling to transplant into?

Please share any suggestions or success stories.

I'm even trying under the full moon lol (I'm that desperate)
From what I read, that is plenty if not too much. All you want to do is key the paint so it doesn't have that showroom finish ;)

I have a little pill bottle with a square of adhesive 120 grit stuck to the instide of the bottle. Suppoedly you just gently rattle the beans a few times, shouldn't be a lot of dust coming out, but there should be some.

the one time I used it it was fine - you never know if it actually did anything.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Don't remember the thread, but I am leaning more towards starting a dozen or so bag-seeds I'll never grow, letting them germinate for a few days in the water I am goint to be cracking the good beans in. Something about enzymes. They used other beans but I figured if I have a known hard-crack it should give them the energy boost they need to bust the shell.

Real good video on here recently about the whole germination thing. The beans store energy as they are being made. It goes dormant, then you add water and heat. The energy stored is what busts the shell. The longer they lay dormant the less energy they retain. So enzymes in the water boost that energy more than getting wetness to a weak plant embryo :cool: There was also a wetting agent that was recommended.

Hopefully if whoever posted that video sees this they'll link it here. Just a hoard of good weed-growing PhD info :)

Last edited:

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I saw the video on Future Cannabis Project and did a little searching and found this. Hence the barley.

The living soil podcasts are awesome.

FluffySquish

Sofa King
Don't remember the thread, but I am leaning more towards starting a dozen or so bag-seeds I'll never grow, letting them germinate for a few days in the water I am goint to be cracking the good beans in. Something about enzymes. They used other beans but I figured if I have a known hard-crack it should give them the energy boost they need to bust the shell.

Real good video on here recently about the whole germination thing. The beans store energy as they are being made. It goes dormant, then you add water and heat. The energy stored is what busts the shell. The longer they lay dormant the less energy they retain. So enzymes in the water boost that energy more than getting wetness to a weak plant embryo :cool: There was also a wetting agent that was recommended.

Hopefully if whoever posted that video sees this they'll link it here. Just a hoard of good weed-growing PhD info :)
this thread ?-->> Old Beans

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I'm calling it. The SST got one to crack and start a tiny tail but after transferring it to a root riot plug it died.

Has anyone here ever used gibberellic acid for those hard to pop beans? If so, any tips on what helped lead you to success?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The "moonbeams" had me rolling :ROFLMAO:
One of my buddies was telling me the other day that his wife had a jar of water hanging on the front porch to collect moonbeams from the new moon...some sort of Wiccan thing, I guess. He said he was pissed, because it froze and there was shattered glass all over his porch. I asked him if he was sure it froze, he asked how else it would have broke, and I said "Are you sure she didn't overfill it with moonbeams?". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: