s1's or f1's

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
I got some tissue culture clones that I want to breed/preserve and was wondering what you guys prefer better S1's or F1's. I will be starting a tissue culture thread as well. but I am starting this project first... Here are the strains, let me know what you guys think
Garanimals - Grape Pie x Animal Cookies
Slurricane - Purple Punch x Dosidos
Cuvee - Space Queen x Pinot Noir
Meat Breath - Meatloaf x Mendo Breath
Rockstar - Rockbud x Sensi Star

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
If you truly want to preserve this genetics. And be able to come back to them some day and find a certain pheno or even something new. I would recommend an open pollination. Handful of males and females, and let the pollen fly. A lot of people refer to this as opening the treasure chest.

SCJedi

Synergist
If you truly want to preserve this genetics. And be able to come back to them some day and find a certain pheno or even something new. I would recommend an open pollination. Handful of males and females, and let the pollen fly. A lot of people refer to this as opening the treasure chest.
While I agree with the open pollination aspect if you truly want to preserve the genetics of a specific phenotype then do tissue culture. I practice both. I think that my next full OP will be two full packs of Hazeman's 88g13hp.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
While I agree with the open pollination aspect if you truly want to preserve the genetics of a specific phenotype then do tissue culture. I practice both. I think that my next full OP will be two full packs of Hazeman's 88g13hp.
I'll be getting around to some tc in the future. Pretty straight forward stuff from what you've seen?

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
Nice! That is something to be excited about. I'll be watching to see how it turns out. Let w know if you need a tester when they're done. ;)
will definitely keep you in mind. a couple people on this site have some of my s1 crosses, but i think they have a lot going on right now and cant get to them just yet, which is totally understandable. BlueBerry Muffins X Wedding Cake, THC Bomb X Wedding Cake, Jelly Pie X Wedding Cake and Forbidden Fruit x Wedding Cake. excited to see how they turn out under another talented growers touch. I will make more of those as well because i am running very low. here is the BBM x WC in veg. im training her to be a good girl = )

Attachments

P

PosenOS2.0

That's some fine looking grass, S1's get you very close to the original and so will running a Cube on them.

There are advantages to either system.

Running a cube on them is fun because you also get to see all the crazy recessives that pop up before you can get them crossed back into original form. Still it's never exactly the same as clones, but that's ok too, some great strains have come out of people taking the time to backcross and getting "close" to the original. Sometimes close can be even better, depending on what you are looking for exactly. (I did a series of back-crosses once and left everything the same except for the nodal spacing being even tighter)

S1's get you close (maybe closer), quicker, though, it takes at least 15 months to run a full cube, plus who doesn't like having a whole bunch of fem seeds to play around with?

Any way you go it's all fun and it's hard to get it too wrong when you start out with killer strains to begin with.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Good stuff. Learning more about genetics. I've read that S1 are "weaker" (less vigorous) than hybrid F1. Any truth in that?
With f1's the plants will have what's called hybrid vigor. That's really the only difference. Hybrid vigor is just like it sounds. Kinda like hitting the refresh button when creating a hybrid. The following generation has a high level of vigor because the genetics have been crossed to something different, creating a new strain. It's not just cannabis, you see it all over in agriculture.