Rosin info

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I was looking up something and found an awesome page. I copied out the best parts
Yield
• Trim: 3% - 8%
• Shake: 8% - 15%
• Flower: 15% - 30%
• Kief / Dry Sift: 30% - 60%+
• Bubble Hash / Hash: 30% - 70%+

Ideal Temperature
Temperature is key to making good rosin! A good rule of thumb to remember is:

• Lower temperatures (150°F- 220°F) = more flavor/terpenes, less yield, end material is more stable (butter-like/honey consistency)

• Higher temperatures (220°F- 250°F) = less flavor/terpenes, more yield, end material is less stable (sap-like consistency)

They stop at 90 seconds but i get all my yield from 120 to 180 seconds. 208F for 3 minutes and then again for 3 and the color is never black.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I was looking up something and found an awesome page. I copied out the best parts
Yield
• Trim: 3% - 8%
• Shake: 8% - 15%
• Flower: 15% - 30%
• Kief / Dry Sift: 30% - 60%+
• Bubble Hash / Hash: 30% - 70%+

Ideal Temperature
Temperature is key to making good rosin! A good rule of thumb to remember is:

• Lower temperatures (150°F- 220°F) = more flavor/terpenes, less yield, end material is more stable (butter-like/honey consistency)

• Higher temperatures (220°F- 250°F) = less flavor/terpenes, more yield, end material is less stable (sap-like consistency)

They stop at 90 seconds but i get all my yield from 120 to 180 seconds. 208F for 3 minutes and then again for 3 and the color is never black.

So many variables in pressing. @gwheels i am pretty close to your times , I have been getting my best results at 205 F. for 2 minutes. The time before last i tried 3 minutes and was unbelievably tacky . Very hard to collect. I have since gone back to the 2 minute mark.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
It could also be related to the density of what you are pressing. The pucks i make are hard as rocks. 10 to 15 grams pressed into 1 1/4 inch diameter and 1 to 2 inches tall.

Sometimes i press it for a while to get it flat enough i can press it. But it pays off with some of the tackiest taffy you ever saw. Like molasses from the fridge.

Shake that laffy taffy.

There is no better exemplification of the terps and flavor of a strain than well pressed rosin.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
208F for 135 seconds is where I've landed.

No pre-press here unless it's by hand to just get the puck thin enough to go between the plates.

As I said before...these days I'm pressing pretty dry material...cured for almost a year. The oil from these presses is far darker and wayyy stiff. You have to heat a knife to dig it out or it will crack/shoot everywhere when you go at it. No tacky/gooey whatsoever. LESS yield....but still very nice stuff. If I need more yield i just squish more bags. :D

Just too much fun.....
@stiickygreen can you clarify something for me. Can you explain to me exactly when you start that 135 seconds. Do you start counting the time as soon as it goes between the plates and then apply pressure or apply pressure then 135 seconds?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I was talking to a girl at the bong shop and asking about rosin rigs (i will stick to my 40 dollar pen). We were talking about rosin and she brought out her jar and opened it to smell it and jammed her thumb right in it.
Wow did i laugh. I know how sticky the shit is.
But what i noticed is how low grade it was. Black like when you apply too much heat over too long. It probably works but it wont taste like that beautiful coloruful lower temp squeeze.
I prefer flavor over yield.
And the awesome colour of beauty rosin...amber or pink or purple and tan hues...all of them smell like the strain POW. Thats some good rosin.
And it works real good.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Aye...need a rig. But I did rube goldberg a rig with a stainless screw and a flytying vice. Heat with mapp torch, apply dab, suck thru glass straw........enfuckingjoy!

It's a pain in the ass shucking the seeds, but worth it. The herb is sticky so I just squeeze it back together to make a puck. Some of the seeded weed, has no seeds, so I started setting aside, but then realize this grow is already water over the dam. It's all going to get squeezed, right about 16 zips.

Increased my temps to 225F. Finding it easier, to press and put that piece of parchment away for later. In a day or 2, it peels off the paper easy, looks like a carmel colored piece of glass.... but it's taffy! I already got a running start, parchments are sitting there in the tin waiting. :)

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
I only pressed bubble once. When I bought my press I truly thought that would be what I used this press for but to me.....it seemed like a huge loss of product for something that I didn't see much advantage in making over what I started with. Maybe if you went on and did "Diamonds and sauce"....I dunno....haven't tried it to say/knock it/praise it. Talk about some excessive use of product and an immense investment of time. Wow.

If I remember....the bub pressed at a lower temp...190F.....and longer...3-4 minutes.

I press flower @ 210'ish for 135 seconds. I might go a bit longer if I had less flower....just to squeeze out that last drop.

Some of the guys don't use rosin bags for squishing flower. I do. Pretty sure you;ll need 45's for bub tho. Haven't talked to tons of folks about the process but hav never heard anyone doing it w/o a bag. Anyone have any experience squishing hash?
Yea I pressed bubble once on my buddies press and it didn’t turn out very well. That press is super cheap and only like 800 lbs of pressure. So not a great judgement but still, I was just smoking sticky hash cuz we didn’t use a bag and the bubble was all spread out into the rosin and impossible to separate. So bubble definitely needs bags lol that’s about the extent of my knowledge on it tho.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I was wrong about the rosin bags too. They are amazing if you want the best quality rosin. If your stash is seedy its way better too. The quality of product is the best I have made (clarity of the rosin and taste and everything). With bags you do not really need the pre-press. Bags should be inside out and the seam not on the corner of the bag (it makes sense when you do it). @stiickygreen suggested that and it works like a champ.

For a puck press i made the first one out of 2 quarters, a piece of plastic pipe the right diameter (I took the quarters to the hardware store to find it) Then a c clamp to squeeze the buds in between the quarters.

Now i use the biggest kief press i could find. 1 1/4 inch diameter. The homemade version works great and might cost you 20 bucks if you need the c clamp too.

The kief press makes bigger pucks....in a manual press you better warm up you got to really press the things. The bags are easier on the shoulders. I press the every loving shit out of it.

:D

I love the shit anyway. Rosin is Awesome. And the pressed pucks make great edibles.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I put everything in the freezer. I have my press on a freezer in the garage and slip them in there. When frozen they dab in a ball or like that last batch just come off like a sheet of glass.

Do you just fold over the end? Or is there a trick to keeping it shut without burning your fingers :D

Or maybe dont put 20 grams in the bag cheapo...just kidding.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Thanks for the advice guys. So if I’m using bags, I don’t need to puck that shit, put the bags inside out, and the seam not on a corner. So have the seam on like the bottom plate then?
im about to get the same press @stiickygreen has. Should be fun I can’t wait. I’m just gonna stash away a couple hundred bucks a week for the next few weeks so i don’t take that big of a chunk out of savings at once. Already got the green light from the mrs. so at least there’s that lol.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
That will work, lol.

As a side note....Dulytech has like 16 entity's, beside dulytech.com trying to write scripts/record info to your browser. Hmmmmm.......by comparison chuckersparadise has just the one.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
That is still a lot easier on your arm. I have the DM 1005. I would not go smaller if you want to get rosin to fill a jar.

But the jack and automated ones are a lot easier to use. It really depends on how much you want to make.

I can press enough rosin in 1 hour to last me a month and then some. I still find jars of it once in a while (stoner hide and seek). But i only squeeze maybe a dozen pucks at a time max.

I am strong like bull so i dont mind wrestling the puck into rosin...Give it up you stupid fucking puck! doooo eeeet.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
That is still a lot easier on your arm. I have the DM 1005. I would not go smaller if you want to get rosin to fill a jar.

But the jack and automated ones are a lot easier to use. It really depends on how much you want to make.

I can press enough rosin in 1 hour to last me a month and then some. I still find jars of it once in a while (stoner hide and seek). But i only squeeze maybe a dozen pucks at a time max.

I am strong like bull so i dont mind wrestling the puck into rosin...Give it up you stupid fucking puck! doooo eeeet.
So you still yield pretty well with that thing I take it? I was under the impression that you want 600-1000 psi to get the most out of it. And how hard do you really have to work at it? My buddy has a similar one from another manufacturer and it’s not too hard to press, just not a lot of pressure so you don’t yield all that much.