Roots growing through smart pot

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Completely normal. Cloth pots are self-pruning, meaning those will die off and it's fine.

Instead of circling the bottom off a plastic pot they die on the ends, but this signals the stuff behind it to put out more secondary and tertiary roots.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
No sure what you're using for nutes and substrate but I had problems and needed to flush and it was harder with cloth pots.

It's nice to see roots popping out so fast, though! Tells you they're happy.

larf

No sure what you're using for nutes and substrate but I had problems and needed to flush and it was harder with cloth pots.

It's nice to see roots popping out so fast, though! Tells you they're happy.
I've always used coco with fabric pots, and the only times I had a problem flushing them was after compacting the coco from watering way too fast. The coco would bubble up and then sink in like a mine collapse. After that happened watering would become a super slow task. Also if the pot is tilted from scrogging. I can make adjustments to make it work, but it's annoying and slow.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I've always used coco with fabric pots, and the only times I had a problem flushing them was after compacting the coco from watering way too fast. The coco would bubble up and then sink in like a mine collapse. After that happened watering would become a super slow task. Also if the pot is tilted from scrogging. I can make adjustments to make it work, but it's annoying and slow.
I tried coco again in a small pot. Everything was perfect for a week nice white roots and happy plant than all a sudden roots turned brown all over and plant looked fuked up. Tossed it in the trash. I can never seem to get away from the bullshit using hydro style methods.

larf

I tried coco again in a small pot. Everything was perfect for a week nice white roots and happy plant than all a sudden roots turned brown all over and plant looked fuked up. Tossed it in the trash. I can never seem to get away from the bullshit using hydro style methods.
I'll never use anything other than 3 gallon fabric pots again. I'm experimenting with 1/2 gallon pots and Blumats right now and it has been a huge headache. I'm going back to rockwool slabs to pump out a decent harvest on my next rub. After that I'm not sure. I'm definitely steering clear of tiny pots from here on out. I've very sure about that.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I'll never use anything other than 3 gallon fabric pots again. I'm experimenting with 1/2 gallon pots and Blumats right now and it has been a huge headache. I'm going back to rockwool slabs to pump out a decent harvest on my next rub. After that I'm not sure. I'm definitely steering clear of tiny pots from here on out. I've very sure about that.
Tiny pots work great in flood tables... And nowhere else I've ever discovered.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I've used em with floraflex rings in soil and done really good with em. Feed every day slightly lower ec and have enough runoff to flush the pots. Done pretty damn good with that setup.

larf

In theory the tiny pots + Blumats idea seemed pretty solid. In reality I half cooked my plants and ended up hand watering them.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
In theory the tiny pots + Blumats idea seemed pretty solid. In reality I half cooked my plants and ended up hand watering them.
I like the floraflex rings cause u control the watering cycle 100 percent. I use a cycle timer that allows seconds on and hours off. My buddy is using his to feed two 4x8s under scrogs and mixing and ph all at once and hits the timer. More work but his grows are fukin flawless. Floraflex in dirt has to be the least headache less work shit I can think of besides an outdoor plant in a corn field.

larf

I like the floraflex rings cause u control the watering cycle 100 percent. I use a cycle timer that allows seconds on and hours off. My buddy is using his to feed two 4x8s under scrogs and mixing and ph all at once and hits the timer. More work but his grows are fukin flawless. Floraflex in dirt has to be the least headache less work shit I can think of besides an outdoor plant in a corn field.
I used to use the round rubber Floraflex pot toppers. I still use the square hard plastic toppers for rockwool cubes. I never got around to automating them though. I'll probably use the toppers again if I go back to three gallon pots.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I saw those and just got the rings, I like rings for pots up to 2 gallon but prob use something bigger for bigger pots. I really liked using the floraflex. Never fooled with the flow rates, just ran the pump till I filled up a solo cup and than counted the seconds. Used that as my time cause a solo cup per plant is about what I needed. Ran mine everyday 30 min before lights on. I even had mine setup so all the runoff went back to a res that I controlled the EC and PH and recycled the nutes for a week at a time. Stupid simple.

larf

I saw those and just got the rings, I like rings for pots up to 2 gallon but prob use something bigger for bigger pots. I really liked using the floraflex. Never fooled with the flow rates, just ran the pump till I filled up a solo cup and than counted the seconds. Used that as my time cause a solo cup per plant is about what I needed. Ran mine everyday 30 min before lights on. I even had mine setup so all the runoff went back to a res that I controlled the EC and PH and recycled the nutes for a week at a time. Stupid simple.
I plan on using rockwool slabs in Dutch leach trays during my next run. They would easy to flood. The draining would be a little tougher to automate. With my old flood trays I had a drainage system hooked up to an inline pump. It was finicky because the drains were 3/4" and when first tray emptied it would start pulling in air and screw up the suction. I fixed that by putting sponges over the drains, but it still took some finessing to get it started each time.

The leach trays have two 1/2" drain tubes, so I think I can hook up some sort of manifold. Now that I'll be using rockwool I could recirculate the runoff I supposed. I hadn't thought about that.

GreenGrower

Thanks guys and since I have you all here, one more question.
Should I cover the sides of this plastic jug as to not let light in?
I was gonna toss this plant because I have extra but I threw it in here and it’s thriving ( it has a lot of drainage)D0CCF4DA-566D-4A2F-A557-8E2B56D05A0D.jpeg

larf

Just my thoughts, try to mimic nature, roots don't need light and generally live in darkness.
I agree with this. I used white nursery bags this run and algae has been an issue. The partial light didn't seem to mess with the roots though. I can see them through the bag, and they look like veins of a bodybuilder. It's pretty cool in that aspect.