Retail pricing

Jewels

Bon~Fire
I have noticed that retail cannabis retail pricing very closely follows THC percentage. The higher the THC the more you pay.

Some indicas will flower for 12 weeks. Why is the price exactly the same as an Indica that came off before week 8 ?

The only economical sense I can make out of it, is that the production cost is actually so low that it doesn't factor into the retail price.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
*Edit
Sativa will flower forever.
An indica could flower on half the power.

Well put.
If people are shopping for the higher numbers the higher percentages would command more expensive pricing.

Conspiracy theory:
Indica's may garner more commercial development ( to increase thc), because of quicker turn around times.

RolandBurnem

Manufacturing cost per individual unit has no direct relation to the retail consumer purchase price. Manufacturer unit isn't the same unit as a customer unit. There are a lot of eighth units in a 100 pound box unit. Merchants are murky, and they make money on this difference. Charge as much as what the market will tolerate, pay suppliers as little as possible at all times. Margins all tighten when the real costs of overhead are eventually included. Number anything makes it seem "real" and of course a higher number means stronger which is always better thus way more valuable so it costs more to buy. Customers enjoy items more if they spent more on item, how Ultra Luxury Brands still exist and why commercial weed still sucks.

RolandBurnem

PLEASE IGNORE HUMAN ERROR HIGH + DATA ACCURACY LOW.
biased data + non-representative data + biased data + non-representative data
The problem
Bias in machine learning imposes serious costs on both individuals and society as a whole by unfairly denying people opportunities while perpetuating stereotypes and inequities.
Representative but biased data is in some sense a more problematic issue than non-representative data since fixing the former would require addressing biases that are inherent in society.

RolandBurnem

( article is about the dangers of using bad data while training machine learning models but this also could help explain this weed price vs THC content bias)
Wide-ranging applications of data science bring utopian proposals of a world free from bias, but in reality, machine learning models reproduce the inequalities that shape the data they’re fed. Can programmers free their models from prejudice?
The Myth of the Impartial Machine

"Bias can also be perpetuated through a feedback loop if the model’s own biased predictions are repeatedly fed back into it, becoming its own biased source data for the next round of predictions."

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
In Canada that logic doesnt work. I am not sure what they are thinking really and the cost should drive people to grow their own. I bought those small tents JUST to prove you can grow 6 to 8 oz in 5 square feet so do it yourself.
The cheapest OCS weed is 10 dollars a gram. The greedy bastards have 1 gram going for 28 bucks on some strains (2 joints prerolled 1/2 gram each). And we are not talking exotic. Its Chocolope for goodness sakes.
Even their sativas are indica leaning for bud weight so they can max their profitablilty.

Once i hit 75 cents a gram total grow cost i stopped caring. I grow for less than 10% of market cost and that is the best hobby ever. Growing tomatoes for example is stupid. You can now get a bushel for 10 bucks so what did you save.

Cannabis is a unique plant...:D

GetOffMyNutes

CBD Yoda
Alot is also based on hype as with any industry. Alot of people only want the latest and greatest and your going to pay for it if you want it. Higher prices doesn't mean your always getting the best quality. To always come out on top, be well informed of the product your buying.

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
In Canada that logic doesnt work. I am not sure what they are thinking really and the cost should drive people to grow their own. I bought those small tents JUST to prove you can grow 6 to 8 oz in 5 square feet so do it yourself.
The cheapest OCS weed is 10 dollars a gram. The greedy bastards have 1 gram going for 28 bucks on some strains (2 joints prerolled 1/2 gram each). And we are not talking exotic. Its Chocolope for goodness sakes.
Even their sativas are indica leaning for bud weight so they can max their profitablilty.

Once i hit 75 cents a gram total grow cost i stopped caring. I grow for less than 10% of market cost and that is the best hobby ever. Growing tomatoes for example is stupid. You can now get a bushel for 10 bucks so what did you save.

Cannabis is a unique plant...:D
Yup, that's why I started growing. Could not afford to keep buying meds from the dispo, plus its a roll of the dice if the shit even works. 75% of the time the shit was so weak I couldn't even catch a buzz, let alone have any pain relief.

So far I've grown a bit over a pound (not counting the gallon bags of trim and larf I give away lol.) , and I haven't even had a full 4x4 harvest yet. I've spent around $1000 on equipment. Plus everyone that has tried my shit says it's some if the best they have ever had.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
And that is how i started too @badmofo529

In a 4 x 4 because all the gear was paid for in round 1. And for my present room all my gear was paid for in round 1 too. Because that is the difference in cost.
75 cents a gram vs 15 dollars.

And now that I can harvest 75 cent a gram epic buds i can actually make rosin for myself for a couple bucks a gram. Not 35.

D

Deleted member 60

I made so much in the old days that I'm still ahead on the curve on the "paid for" thing....no matter what. LOFL. So-long-ago.

However....in today's legal market....I can probably get more for my heirloom tomatoes than my weed... cus someone might actually buy tomatoes....heehee

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Big Industry and the demand for dollars forces them to create ways to shave pennies off of nickels. It's just the way things are. They have it mapped out to the day, to the gram, to the dollar. They know the cost of producing each unit.
I faced the math on my very first grow. I did not know what was what. I expected plants to flower somewhere between six and eight weeks. Three months later I am looking at all clear trichs, and the power metre is still just spinning.
As a homegrower, electricity is my largest expense.
Yes, my alpha plant had a retail value of over 2 grand, and yes, she was sexier than Halle Berry's 53 birthday selfie. - but still , that plant took twice the electric over an auto.
Eventually, there will come a time when weed is so cheap that it will become more convenient and economical to just buy it at the store.
That tipping point will call sooner on the Sativa.

D

Deleted member 60

I dunno...I don't think I'll ever buy weed again. Haven't for 30 years. I'd go broke!

I enjoyed the cash it brought...but these days it does a lot for my head to be in the garden(s). To me...none of it is stupid. It's only stupid when you do shit you shouldn't....or are forced to do something. (like going to work...I now know how stupid that shit is and have permanently changed my ways.) I love my Cherokee Purps and the sauces my wife makes with our homegrown paste tomatoes...so same thing....even if they are cheap (and they get $5 a pound here..so they aren't) I'd still grow my own cus it's a huge part of what I do all summer to keep my head in check and stay too busy to think about all of the other shit in my head that haunts me.

It's certainly cheaper therapy than goin to the shrink.....

Cfeezzie

Super Active Member
I dunno...I don't think I'll ever buy weed again. Haven't for 30 years. I'd go broke!

I enjoyed the cash it brought...but these days it does a lot for my head to be in the garden(s). To me...none of it is stupid. It's only stupid when you do shit you shouldn't....or are forced to do something. (like going to work...I now know how stupid that shit is and have permanently changed my ways.) I love my Cherokee Purps and the sauces my wife makes with our homegrown paste tomatoes...so same thing....even if they are cheap (and they get $5 a pound here..so they aren't) I'd still grow my own cus it's a huge part of what I do all summer to keep my head in check and stay too busy to think about all of the other shit in my head that haunts me.

It's certainly cheaper therapy than goin to the shrink.....
And the peace of mind knowing how it was grown. Or what was add to it before,during or after it was grown.