Question about DWC...

Quick question for a DWC grower.....I just popped 4 seeds in seperate rock wool cubes. Root was already coming from the seed. Is it better to leave the cubes on a tray with water until the roots start growing through the cube or should I put them into their buckets now?

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I wouldn’t let the cubes sit in water but you’re fine letting them root further in a dome or partial dome until you feel they’re fully established for the open :)

I wouldn’t let the cubes sit in water but you’re fine letting them root further in a dome or partial dome until you feel they’re fully established for the open :)
It would have only been barely enough water to cover the bottom just so the rock wool does not dry out. But then again I can just water the cube a little if need be. So weird growing in soil from day one then throwing what you know out the window because DWC is so much different. Thanks!

I AM

Dwc from day one ...going to straight coco.

I use to start in wool cube...til roots show.
Then fill the 5Gal. Right up to the bottom of the net pot lid. Run my air line through the bottom an cover just up to the stem OR the cube with those lava pellets haha.

I got better with time & started running a 10" net pot lid filled with coco. Ran it just like soil til roots popped out the bottom. Badass. At first i went full on dwc an washed the coco clean through the net...fucked up.
So i started to bubble with 2Gal. of water. Shallow.

Worked like a charm. I get the best of both worlds. I can use great white shark in the coco part & still get DWC growth in the bucket. 50/50 bucket.

Be mindful though coco holds water...i used only 1gal. Per bucket now. Because the water in the bucket can keep the coco over saturated!?

Im gonna switch to all coco this next run because 32+ buckets is a lot to tote around. So im going fabric 5gal pot bags.
Im freaking out low key...i never ran soil to finish.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I put my seeds straight into Rockwool cube, or rapid rooters. As soon as I have a seedling sprout, and growing out of the Rockwool cube, I will stick it in the bucket. Usually there is a root sticking out by then.

Put a layer of clay pebbles in the net pot and fill just enough water so the pebbles are laying in it. Set the Rockwool cube on top of them so it gets water and oxygen from the bubbles bursting under it. Then fill up more clay pebbles around it and you're good to go.