Pump for Chillers...

inthetrees

Hey all...

So I'm going to pick up x2 1/4 HP chillers for my UC systems... I'm wondering if its possible to use a submersible rather than mag drive pumps? I know mag drives are ideal, but I already have x2 400 GPH submersibles that only cost me $35 bucks and never got taken out of the boxes. If i go the mag drive route, I'm looking at another $300.

Plan is to obviously put the sub in the epicenter, plumb in up through the lid and over into the chiller, and then pipe the return line back into the epi. I know that submersibles create heat, but I'm going to have 1/4 HP for 30 gallon systems which is overkill. The heat produced will be negated by the chiller obviously. The chillers call for a 264 - 660 GPH pump.

I've googled the shit outta this question and cant seem to find a definitive answer...

Thanks,
-itt

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The reason submersible pumps are not recommended is because they add heat back into the water and make the chiller work harder. They can be used but the operation cost of the setup is going to add up over time.

inthetrees

Yeah I figured as much... So long as there wasn't some other reason I was missing.

I have Danner 950GPH mag drives for each of my systems and those things get hot as balls if you dont have a fan on each of them. I was actually pretty unimpressed with the heat given they give off given they are inline.

Thanks for the info. I'll rock the subs for now.