Prepping for reset

Skunkle Justin

Hey guys and gals. What do you guys use to prevent roots from passing through a fabric pot while still being able to move them? I thought about using regular wooden pallets but I feel like they would invite bugs or mold on the bottom of the pots. I’m trying to think ahead for setting up next year’s outdoor grow that will have some long flowering plants. I want to have the option to move them if the weather gets cold early or a tropical storm comes.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you think about it, those pots are "self-pruning". Roots that come out the side die off. most of the roots that get through the bottom will be those same tiny roots, so breaking them shouldn't hurt.

Second answer. Rolling plant caddy's. The cheap plastic things with the snap-on wheels. I used them indoors - with plants in cloth pots. No way it could be an issue. Except that you won't get that High Times ginormous outdoor tree that you would in ground. it'll be limited by pot size.

my $0.02 :)

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Yea you wanna keep your pots elevated on some kind of grate or stand and make sure it doesn't sit in it's own runoff. That's the only way roots will grow out of these pots.

D

Deleted member 60

You can go either way. With the pots on the ground you will see the small hairlike roots come through but it's like a big piece of velcro when you go to pull it up. "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiip" Does no harm but they are there.

Elevated...the roots won't make it out of the pot. I use pallets. They keep them from (as @JohnFonda says) sitting in their own runoff...and you can see when they are running water out the bottom/are fully wet. Ditto if you want to flush them at the end of the season.

I don;t have a lot of bugs here that fuck with the ganja...but again...I think elevated pots help on that front as well...though you will piss off a few worms.

And yes..you will be limited vs. going in ground. (You get around that by growing more plants....and if it gets cold....you will be glad they are limited and you can move them and save them. In ground...yer just fucked all the way around.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
I sit mine on flat sheets of plexiglass, I was putting down landscaping fabric but I was getting ants and termites in my pots, definitely wouldn’t recommend sitting them directly on the ground, you’ll need a solid barrier if you have bad termites in your area.

Skunkle Justin

I sit mine on flat sheets of plexiglass, I was putting down landscaping fabric but I was getting ants and termites in my pots, definitely wouldn’t recommend sitting them directly on the ground, you’ll need a solid barrier if you have bad termites in your area.
I never would’ve thought of that 👍🏻