Preparing to make the upgrade

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
They put out the par with little to no heat. I have 2 qb 288 v2 setups in 4x4 which is definitely over kill. One QB 288 will cover a 4x4 in veg and 3x3 in flower. Each setup pulls 288 watts from the wall . I add C02 to my setup. Just 2 hugs with sugar water and yeast .
Yet another thing I want to mess with, co2. After the upgrade to good LED though. Probably another thread I can check out.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Good analogy. It's a lot like that. Lol. That's part of what makes it fun. The variables and figuring out a good working system.
There was this Athlon xp that was intended for laptops so the silicon cut needed to be good and handle high temps. It had a J or K code (kinda like how the "good" toyotas and Hondas have J code VINs). I OC'd that to the max and it still ran cooler than a stock chip. I need to find me that cob cut. Or qb cut. Or strip cut

WebstersBallSack

European Bean Flicker
Thank you I will definitely check these out. Sometimes I wish I could make payments or put some of this shit on layaway hahah
Still on page 1 so this may have been said but cutter.au do all sorts of strips and boards of their own and offer a payment system , buy now pay in instalments.
They actually have some good value strips which perform well.

I would probably be looking a 600-650w in a 5x5 with high end LEDs.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Checked out cutter.au and their kit selection for 5x5. Saw this

I'm thinking 3000k and maybe a bit more wattage? I think I need to get more than just this kit like drivers, heatsink? I'm still window shopping. Cob / qb / strip still up for debate.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Nice build.
Says it only does a 4x4 though flower.
Haha, says max power 550 watts too. Lol. On a 480 A model that maxes at 540. Lol. Down in the fine print though they correct themselves saying 500 max. Lol.
Am I correct in thinking that one would need to buy more than just this kit for all the parts?
I looked on cutter mainly for the payment option. However if I could build something better and save money I am willing to find alternative means.

WebstersBallSack

European Bean Flicker
That's a fucking good deal that is. I mean the HLG550 is a fuck ton more than that and essentially the same thing. Though warranty may be different . The HLG600 from growers lights uses the same set up as 550 but has a 600h driver to pump 600-620w so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing with this cutter set up.
Should also be possible to run two meanwell hlg320-54 drivers instead of the 480 driver to get 320w per two boards and 640w total.
I would imagine Mark would let you customise the purchase to do that.
Also you can customise the light with added rails or use that light as a base and add more to it with simple L shaped aluminium frame and some added strips.

It does say in the contents lower down the page the driver is included btw, so as it is its the whole kit ready to go, though you might need to assemble.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thanks for the reply amd insight. I like the uniform design for coverage.

I cheked out the 5x5 strip builds on this link (thanks @Highsince76 )

- the wiring diagram for all 3 builds don't have them in a square pattern, can they be configured in a way to fit the square 5x5 like the board design?
- they are using only Samsung, could an equivalent bridgelux be about as good and cheaper?
- I have a 15 amp outlet but I could run extensions to run other the other equipment such as pumps, fans etc if needed. Can the 15 amp handle it?

WebstersBallSack

European Bean Flicker
You can lay them out how ever you want, that's just to show the wiring easier.

If you go further down that page and click on the bit that says 5x5 grow space builds, it first shows the parts list for various Samsung strips, then after it shows the bridgelux

Bridgelux Gen. 2 BXEB-L1120Z 4′ LED Strip Build – 5’x5′
Parts list:

18x BXEB-L1120Z 4′ Strips ($253)
1x Mean Well HLG-480H-42B Driver ($115)
1x Mean Well HLG-240H-42B Driver ($64)
1x 50K Ohm Potentiometer for Dimming ($7) Note – wire driver dim leads in parallel to potentiometer for simultaneous dimming of both drivers. Pot must be 50K ohm.
1x Resistor for Potentiometer ($6) Note- resistor is only required if your potentiometer measures less than its rated resistance. Use a resistor in series to bring the pot up to its rated resistance.
~72 Feet of 1″ Heat Sink ($144) Note – this length is an estimate only… make sure to measure your space so your heat sinks are cut short enough that they’ll fit.
~25 Feet of 3/4″ x 3/4″ x 1/8″ thick Angle Aluminum for Frame ($60) Note – this length is an estimate only… make sure to measure your space to properly size your frame.
2x Rolls of Thermal Tape, 30mm x 25m ($32)
1x LLT L20 Waterproof Power Connector for Driver AC Connection ($10)
Hookup wire cut to whatever length you need ($10) Note – I use 18 gauge to connect my wagos to my strips. I use minimum 14 gauge for wago-to-wago connections.
14x 5-Conductor Wagos ($20)
1x 6-Pack of Ratcheting Hangers ($19)
Total Price Estimate (USD) = $740 + Shipping
System Specs:

Type: C.V./Parallel
Diode Count: 4,032
System Voltage: 39.2V
System Current: 17,100mA (11,400mA on the 480H-42B + 5,700mA on the 240H-42B)
System Power: 670.2W
Lumen Estimate (3000K): 116,928
Efficacy: 174 lm/W
Wiring Diagram:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
What else is on the circuit? A 15 amp outlet can handle a working load of 12 amps. Remaining amps are for power spikes and safety overhead.
Yes on the orientation of the strips or boards. Just a matter of more wire.
Yes, could sub in any strips you wanted, just make sure they are compatible with the driver.
If running extension cords run a heavier duty one for any high powered items. Light duty cords can overheat under high load and lose power over longer distance. IE my saws on a light cord get quite warm and don't get full power. 50 + feet of light duty ext cord drops enough voltage to cause a high powered tool or light issues.
I'll have to check. I believe mainly room lights. The room has a bunch of outlets but all tied to the one 15 amp circuit.