Plant Sex Test

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
As seen on Worlds Strongest Strains...coming soon..
FAST ACCURATE RESULTS.
GUARANTEED
Using the latest PCR technology we can sex your plants faster than any company in Canada.
What is PCR: Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a method used widely in molecular biology to make millions to billions of copies of a DNA sample rapidly, allowing us to take a very small sample of DNA and amplify it to a large enough amount to study in detail.Combined with a Gender Detection Protocol we can quickly detect Males from Females with 99% accuracy.

Will be available as one plant test or 4 plant test.

untitled.png

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It’d be great if they made it to where you had endless/numerous uses. They’ll sell a lot as is, but EVERY grower would buy one if they could use it on every plant.
It doesn't look disposable, but I am sure that there is some portion of it that is. Whether it is the solution that generated the DNA growth, the sex-testing part once it's cooked, something would probably keep you coming back to the proprietary store.

I think something to test 10-12 plants at once would be cool. But to be worth it for me it would have to cost less than the soil and nutes to just grow them out and see. For someone breeding I can see it speeding up a selection process

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
If they want $60 to test 4 plants, that isn't for the home-grower. Fuck that, I'll run fems if it's that crucial to know early.
Well, I think it's pretty obviously not for the home grower. But still, it has to be more economically viable than buying the rig linked above...how many sex tests until that thing pays for itself?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Well, I think it's pretty obviously not for the home grower. But still, it has to be more economically viable than buying the rig linked above...how many sex tests until that thing pays for itself?
Depends on the price.
At $15 per seedling from philos.bio, 67 seedlings cost $1000.
For the home-grower, I could see saving up for one if it was durable, and whatever expendable supplies didn't make it cost prohibitive.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
The mini8 thermal cycler is $650.00

Thats cheep for a PCR, But you also need to know how to detect sex after you've replicated the DNA.

Never to old to learn new things, I'll figure this out and let you all know

Last edited:
Hi Guys. Thought I'd take some time to answer some of your questions about PCR.
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) is a method for "unwrapping" and "Cutting" a small section of DNA (in this case the set that determines gender on dioecious plants) and then making millions of copies of that fragment and then attaching a colour indicator (reagent) to the copies to produce a positive or negative result. (Colour coded pink or yellow)
this is a laymen's explanation at best.
You must send in a leaf blade at least 2 weeks old. A 1cm squared sample is taken from that leaf. Please do not send cotyledons.... they reduce the accuracy rate by up to 20%.
Simply mail in the sample and within a day of receiving it you will receive results by email.
On your end you must...
-be responsible for how that sample is shipped to me.Express shipping means faster results.
-ensure the plant the sample is taken from is at least 2 weeks old.

How does this benefit the grower?
Essentially it shaves months off sexing your plants. It saves time, soil, nutrients and frustration.

What do I make off it?
My profit is between $4 and $6 per test. The "chems" involved are very expensive

Where do you get your stuff and how can i do this at home?
All our lab supplies are purchased from Medicinal Genomics. A company run by Kevin McKernan... inventor of the solid state genome sequencer and arguably, one of the world's top cannabis genetcicts.
You will need a PCR therocycler. The Mini 8 is the cheapest on the market. You will also need the "chems" (assay kit).
the total start up cost is around $5000 US. in addition to the Mini 18 and Assay chemicals you will need pipettes and a pipette gun as well as a multichannel pipette adapter, PCR reaction tubes, and....
  • Dual Rotor Microcentrifuge
  • 80 Place 1.5mL Tube Rack
  • 0.1 ml PCR 8-tube strips with caps
  • PCR Grade Nuclease Free Water
  • Ice Bucket
  • Software and lab protocol
You can view the complete process here on Kevin's youtube page.

Hope this helps.
James
WSS

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool stuff! But unless I am selling weed or seeds to recoup the cost it's just not worth it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool stuff! But unless I am selling weed or seeds to recoup the cost it's just not worth it for me.
It absolutely isn't. The test is designed for ACMPR patients who grow on a large scale and don't wish to waste time on males or, the home grower who wishes to isolate males for personal breeding of elite genetics. Its definitely not for everyone.
You'll find most newer growers are using fems. I have never seen a fem win first place at emerald cup.