Payload

Jewels

Bon~Fire
First things first. I need to send a shout out to everyone who made this possible.

Firstly, gravity- you've always been there for me.

Also, a Gerhard Baumann who ( with a time machine - called a book) taught me the ins and outs of Hydroponics.
20190804_124916(1).jpg

Also Daniel Bernoulli, for capitalizing on the Venturi effect- even though unbeknownst to him,,, how important it would become in the future of cannabis production.

Venturi.gif

Perhaps most importantly, @gwheels and @Jesus.
Made this all happen.

So here is what is all the hubub.

If necessity be the mother of invention, then poverty be the uncle of theft.
He is a collection of stolen ideas - that ( like any clever marketer) I will call my own.
20190905_094900(1).jpg

Last edited:

Jewels

Bon~Fire
The blue fitting, under the lid in the photo is a "venturi" valve /pump / mixer.
It allows air to enter at some magical tight spot where there is vacuum>> in the pressured water supply line. Somewhat like the aerator in your sink.
Each site has a jet of water that drags hella air down with it.
For the action to happen high volume and pressure is needed. I am using an Iwaki wmd-40. Without head it is rated for 1.5 L/s -metric conversion ~ double it add 30 ~ ,,,and (without head) it would fill a oil barrel in 2 mins.
But enough of that talk; who wants to live in a world with no head ?

The only drawback I can see is: the drawn air has the potential to influence water température.
I say - "bring it"
I will have an endless supply of frozen air by the end of the month.
If I manifold the air intake with outdoor makeup, I can throttle the water temp with my fresh air mix.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
It is odd stuff. I had a few "store bought" blue pumps. They were marketed as waterbed fill-drain kits. I was using them to empty my central AC sump. With city water pressure the valve can pull water six six out out my basement , up to ground level. If you put your skin nearby it has the force to kiss a hicky on 'ya.
I am all about the free. I figured I could harness this phenom , pull some bubbly (at no charge) and phat up some buds.
I did hand build the valves for the rest of the sights.
Kinda odd - you get enough water pressure in that black valve, and it starts sucking air - nonshit.
20190905_235929.jpg
There is a few more sly slants on this thing, I cant wait to tell you about it. All low-tech. I am not even using a powerbar. Plugged in the light, plugged in the pump,done!
I am going to be toe tapping for some time,,,there is nothing to do !

This system runs silent. My fan is driving me nuts, it is all I can hear.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Although not a comprehensive guide, I will walk thru and justify some of the decisions I have made.
These poor eyes have seen almost every circut on the interwebs. I study them, steal the good ideas, and leave the rest.

First and foremost - my HUGEST pet peeve.
DO NOT RESTRICT INTAKE.
Pumps are built to PUSH.
Any restrictions on intake has dastardly diminishing logarithmic returns.
Your pump has an intake opening of measurable size - this is to be the smallest orafice in that circuit. If you have a 1 inch intake - you better have 1 inch ( or bigger) feed tonthe pump
No bends, no reducers, no head - nothing.
Almost every system I see makes this error.
Restrict intake for
- reduced output
- increased heat
-increase power consumption
- increase heat production
-increase pump wear and tear
20190906_090635.jpg
Photo shows standard firing position. With an extension tube, I can suck the reservoir dry.

Also I am a farm kid,, I would rather go to church with Gramma than prime a pump. Hell, I would rather pull start a Brigs , rather than prime a pump.
Church is finite and only a couple hours, Brigs&Strat a life sentence !
As such , lets work smart here; there are many clever devices to prime pumps - gravity being the most reliable. When I plug in a pump I exspect water - now.
Put the pump below the water level - live a long happy life.
20190906_090549_HDR.jpg

Jewels

Bon~Fire
20190906_094655.jpg
Water enter pump - lower black hose
Water exit pump - black T-fitting
The clear hose goes unrestricted to bucket supply, it is T-'d further down the line to bust up the series induced pressure chain drain. Supplied from both end , the outputs function equally , like in parallel.

The white PVC pipe with red valve is a recirculation path.
20190906_095958.jpg
I had concerns the pump would overpower the (restrictive) venturi jets, and blow off my supply lines. I can open the valve to reduce supply pressure. This recirc. stream also not only agitates my res. for increased evap/cooling and oxygenation, but also is a handy "out" for changing waste water from the system.
At the moment, I am using the bypass as a "swamp cooler"
20190906_100231.jpg

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
First things first. I need to send a shout out to everyone who made this possible.

Firstly, gravity- you've always been there for me.

Also, a Gerhard Baumann who ( with a time machine - called a book) taught me the ins and outs of Hydroponics.
View attachment 20655

Also Daniel Bernoulli, for capitalizing on the Venturi effect- even though unbeknownst to him,,, how important it would become in the future of cannabis production.

View attachment 20653

Perhaps most importantly, @gwheels and @Jesus.
Made this all happen.

So here is what is all the hubub.

If necessity be the mother of invention, then poverty be the uncle of theft.
He is a collection of stolen ideas - that ( like any clever marketer) I will call my own.
View attachment 20656
I think i'm too dumb to understand this but it looks fucking awesome bro!

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Thanks You, @SCJedi -
I need all the eyes I can get on this, not only b'cuse I can miss the most obvious stuff, also I makes shzts up as I go along.
Pool noodles on deck for the tubing.
As for the sump?
,,,and if you'll forgive the Rasberrypatch massacre,,,
,,,and if you promise not to tell the wife,
20190906_132255.jpg
My tests temps stayed chill during 30 + °C days.

No, @Uncle Romulus , it is not a bear trap.
It is a summer resivior.
My res can find a cool spot indoors, during the winter. The "geothermal" res will allow me to grow indoors through summer - with out AC.
You told me to FthisShtup, this Albertan is getting his own pipeline.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
More good news20190906_130302_HDR.jpg
It is the unknown Indica leaner. Very happy.
20190906_130517.jpg
I have a few good clones of this unknown Sativa leaner. I really hope female. I have never grown a plant with leaf so narrow.

I assume Sativa, but not experienced in that are.
Help me out,,,
Does a very narrow leaf always tell me there is NO indica in there,,or not necessarily?

Last edited:

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I currently have a really thin leaf plant this run that I've never seen before. Was curious about characteristics too.
I have always found that the EARLY leaves of the plant basically don't mean squat. I have had plants start out with thick, fat leaves, but by the end they are slender, sativa looking. But I've had some pretty skinny leaves before even on what was supposed to be an indica leaner too... just my limited experience