Organic nutrient/ammendment Ideas for next run. Coast of Maine Soil.

VAHomegrown

I will be putting this together within a month as soon as tent space opens. I would like to try the Coast Of Maine, Stonington Blend. I hate to admit it but I've ever actually done a true organic indoor grow. I have experience hydro, coco and soil using non organic nutes. I've gotten some great ideas by using the search function, but would like to know what organic amendments/nutrients you have had success with or are currently running.
Here is my proposed set up. I can make adjustments based on your input. I would be happy to run tester genetics if anyone would like to provide some. I'm on a tight budget as I just started my own business in May.
-Genetics
COPA Ancient Chocolate (Ancient OG X Chocolope)
-Pots, 3 gallon Air Pots (x4) (start in 1 gal clay pots, transplant after 3 weeks in veg)
-Tent, 3x3x72
-Lights, ViparSpectra P1500 x2 (Total of 300w. 1.79umol/w each)
-Ventilation, 6" AC Infinity with fan/humidity controller.
-Grow style, top em & SCROG em.
-Misc, could also do a similar setup in a 4x2 under 400w led & set up supplemental c02.
Grow room is fully climate controlled; mini split ac, dehumidifier, humidifier, carbon air/ozone scrubber.
Using well water : comes out of tap @7.8-8.4 and between 92 and 105 ppm, depending on rainfall.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
If you want to go full organic then 3 gallon pots really aren’t going to cut it. Most organic gardeners will recommend growing in pots that are a minimum of 7 gallons. I grew my contest plants in 7 gallon pots but I normally grow in 10 gallon pots. There are a ton of great organic lines, or you can basically mix up your own, if you want to. I haven’t gotten into mixing my own, because buying premixed fertilizers is affordable, and they last quite awhile. I started out using the Fertile Valley line from Elevation Organics, but they ran into production issues this year and were hard to get locally, so I switched over to Roots Organics dry amendments line, and I like it better. Just keep in mind that you don’t have to top dress as often as you are used to feeding bottled nutrients. The stuff I’m using now ply requires around 1-2 tablespoons added to the top of the soil once every week or two.

VAHomegrown

If you want to go full organic then 3 gallon pots really aren’t going to cut it. Most organic gardeners will recommend growing in pots that are a minimum of 7 gallons. I grew my contest plants in 7 gallon pots but I normally grow in 10 gallon pots. There are a ton of great organic lines, or you can basically mix up your own, if you want to. I haven’t gotten into mixing my own, because buying premixed fertilizers is affordable, and they last quite awhile. I started out using the Fertile Valley line from Elevation Organics, but they ran into production issues this year and were hard to get locally, so I switched over to Roots Organics dry amendments line, and I like it better. Just keep in mind that you don’t have to top dress as often as you are used to feeding bottled nutrients. The stuff I’m using now ply requires around 1-2 tablespoons added to the top of the soil once every week or two.
Thank you!! Good fucking point about running out of nutrients with the smaller pots. I will grab at least the 7 gallon pots, do you think will be pushy it for space in the 3x3 with 2, 7 gallon pots?
I would love to mix my own soil, but recipes I find are for producing 5x the amount of soil I would need as a hobby/personal medical grower; not sure how to scale it properly (not sure if cutting the recipes in 1/4 would work) I'm getting prices on the Root's Organics line right now.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Most organic gardeners will recommend growing in pots that are a minimum of 7 gallons. I grew my contest plants in 7 gallon pots but I normally grow in 10 gallon pots.
With the larger pots, if you aren't going for large yield, having 2-3 plants in the same pot is fine right? I mean, it's still the volume of soil you need to maintain a living soil environment. Or am I misunderstanding that?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I ask because I am doing a fem run for @J.James testers next, and also just starting the living soil. If I can run either two or three plants in the same size pot that I would with one huge shrub that would be a great way to accomodate limited floorspace with maximum small plants.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Thank you!! Good fucking point about running out of nutrients with the smaller pots. I will grab at least the 7 gallon pots, do you think will be pushy it for space in the 3x3 with 2, 7 gallon pots?
I would love to mix my own soil, but recipes I find are for producing 5x the amount of soil I would need as a hobby/personal medical grower; not sure how to scale it properly (not sure if cutting the recipes in 1/4 would work) I'm getting prices on the Root's Organics line right now.
I’ve done four 7 gallon in a 32” x 32”, and I do 2-3 of them in a 2x4, so you will be fine with three in a 3x3.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
With the larger pots, if you aren't going for large yield, having 2-3 plants in the same pot is fine right? I mean, it's still the volume of soil you need to maintain a living soil environment. Or am I misunderstanding that?
I honestly don’t know. I’ve heard everything from “multiple plants in the same pot cause them to strangle each other out” to “nothing bad happens when you put multiple plants in the same pot”. I’ve never tried it myself.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I use Buildasoil’s Nutrient Craft Blend to reammend between grows. I also use plenty of compost and frass throughout the grow, cover crop in between, and I’ve got worms in all of my containers. During flower, I also use buildabloom occasionally, getting ready to start really getting into KNF but no experience there yet.

quiescent

Super Active Member
I use Buildasoil’s Nutrient Craft Blend to reammend between grows. I also use plenty of compost and frass throughout the grow, cover crop in between, and I’ve got worms in all of my containers. During flower, I also use buildabloom occasionally, getting ready to start really getting into KNF but no experience there yet.
[/URL]

podcast you should listen to

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Since I already have a bunch of promix I’ll be using that but next run I’ll be using coast off main soil in combination with this newer line of liquid organic. They recommend using with the coast of main soil I’m pretty excited to try it. I’ll be watching your grow to see how it works out for ya best of luck. FB2B2056-2639-4276-9483-234B097612EB.jpegC74A6519-450F-4C72-9714-85BDF9983964.jpeg

quiescent

Super Active Member
In the end can I reuse the promix or coast of Maine dirt? Or will it be no good?
You could reuse it, for sure.

I'd recommend mixing some compost, ag lime - calcium carbonate, general dry organic nute from the hardware store and gypsum into your promix. I've mixed compost in at about 15-20% with good results if you're feeding regularly.

Wouldn't cost more than $100 to jazz up 3-4 bales of promix.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
You could reuse it, for sure.

I'd recommend mixing some compost, ag lime - calcium carbonate, general dry organic nute from the hardware store and gypsum into your promix. I've mixed compost in at about 15-20% with good results if you're feeding regularly.

Wouldn't cost more than $100 to jazz up 3-4 bales of promix.
Nice I need to start doing this.

Sativa Kid

I will be putting this together within a month as soon as tent space opens. I would like to try the Coast Of Maine, Stonington Blend. I hate to admit it but I've ever actually done a true organic indoor grow. I have experience hydro, coco and soil using non organic nutes. I've gotten some great ideas by using the search function, but would like to know what organic amendments/nutrients you have had success with or are currently running.
Here is my proposed set up. I can make adjustments based on your input. I would be happy to run tester genetics if anyone would like to provide some. I'm on a tight budget as I just started my own business in May.
-Genetics
COPA Ancient Chocolate (Ancient OG X Chocolope)
-Pots, 3 gallon Air Pots (x4) (start in 1 gal clay pots, transplant after 3 weeks in veg)
-Tent, 3x3x72
-Lights, ViparSpectra P1500 x2 (Total of 300w. 1.79umol/w each)
-Ventilation, 6" AC Infinity with fan/humidity controller.
-Grow style, top em & SCROG em.
-Misc, could also do a similar setup in a 4x2 under 400w led & set up supplemental c02.
Grow room is fully climate controlled; mini split ac, dehumidifier, humidifier, carbon air/ozone scrubber.
Using well water : comes out of tap @7.8-8.4 and between 92 and 105 ppm, depending on rainfall.
Hmmm! Sounds like you can grow any strain with that set up. Ancient OG, Hmm! Very Interesting.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I honestly don’t know. I’ve heard everything from “multiple plants in the same pot cause them to strangle each other out” to “nothing bad happens when you put multiple plants in the same pot”. I’ve never tried it myself.
In nature plants grew with their roots inter mixed granted they were not restricted in a pot but I have grown 2-3 plants (skunk) in one pot 20gal with not ill effects to their roots my intention was to cull one but damn they all looked so good 😬

VAHomegrown

Update: I purchased the Coast on Maine Stongington blend and have several plants in early veg doing well. No burn issues & they look to have plenty of calcium.
I am just finishing up a run in my own organic soil blend (BxM+EWC, lobster compost) The yield will be about 1/3 less than my runs using nutes but it definitely makes up for it in the terp & frost department. I'm also harvesting about 10 days later, which I assume is due to the nutrient availability in the soil. Never did any PH correction on the water since my mix is Promix based(well water comes out @ 8.0-8.4) the whole run. The soil stayed between 6.5-6.7 PH. The gnats were my main enemy, frequent dusting with diatomaceous earth & EWC top dressings kept their numbers down.