Off the shelf unit worth it's price?

• Thread starter Deleted member 60
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60

I know nothing about these lights.

Starting some seeds for a friend. He's asking if i have a spare light he can buy/etc. I'm an HID guy...so you know that means ventilation and other fun stuff he might not get...and i don;t really wanna try to explain long distance-like. Seems like a LED would serve him well for his needs.

He'll just be using it..mostly...for veg for less than 6 plants that will eventually go outside. Anybody have any recommendations on a decent light for the $$$ that he may be able to waltz into a hydro shop and walk out with?

Anything to completely avoid? I know building stuff is most of you guys prefered way to go...but in this case...nope.

Thanks

Opie1

Master Grower
Most of the blurples that are on eBay or Amazon are really good at vegging, really good. They’re better than HID’s because there’s almost NO stretch between nodes, they keep plant compact. The Mars Hydro, Meizhi and Viparspectra are the better blurples. I WOULD NOT recommend any of these for flowering. But yeah, they’re great for veg.

Opie1

Master Grower
Blurples WILL make frosty good looking buds, but I never could get any weight out of them. The best way I can explain it is- You know how a golf ball and a ping pong ball are the same size, with the golf ball weighing a great lot more? That’s the blurple buds- ping pong buds, lol. They’ll look good and are even hard sometimes, they just won’t weigh shit. IME.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Having good luck with a fifty dollar amazon one, supposed to be comparable to a 600w, got as a gift, 2 yr warranty. I had a 2 ft 8 bulb cfl but one bank of bulbs didn't work, I returned it and they asked no questions, I figgered they had many returned. Anyhow, Its a tad more white looking than blurple, I also have a 400w blurple in the closet I use to get the seedlings up. I found there is a sweet spot in distance on seedlings, then you can get it closer, they get a lil warmer than you might figger. The big one in flower tent def pulls more frost out of plant, but when only putting 1-3 under it, Im getting same density as 6-9 under the 400w HID in one gallon smarties in a 2 x 4 x 6 tent.

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
Having good luck with a fifty dollar amazon one, supposed to be comparable to a 600w, got as a gift, 2 yr warranty. I had a 2 ft 8 bulb cfl but one bank of bulbs didn't work, I returned it and they asked no questions, I figgered they had many returned. Anyhow, Its a tad more white looking than blurple, I also have a 400w blurple in the closet I use to get the seedlings up. I found there is a sweet spot in distance on seedlings, then you can get it closer, they get a lil warmer than you might figger. The big one in flower tent def pulls more frost out of plant, but when only putting 1-3 under it, Im getting same density as 6-9 under the 400w HID in one gallon smarties in a 2 x 4 x 6 tent.
is this the one you are referring to. Thinking about getting a couple of these. good price and reviews.. @stiickygreen you might want to check it out. https://www.amazon.com/BLOOMSPECT-600W-LED-Grow-Light/dp/B07MJ5MS81/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=led+grow+light&qid=1559578747&s=gateway&sr=8-5#customerReviews

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN