Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
Has anyone seen or ran one of these systems? How does it compare to other hydro systems like RDWC, Ebb, etc?

Never ran one but fuck me do I love that movie..
Cheers for the flashback, now to search Netflix lol

Also am genuinely interested if anyone's ever done or actually seen a successful spiral not set up for clones..
Has to be good use of a tall narrow space.. like my laundry 🤫

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
From the little I've read it seems to be a popular method in Europe for some reason. Space maybe? Although the ones in the movie look massive. Would love to know how it stacks up against an undercurrent dwc. Sure looks hardcore but looks aren't everything as we all know

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Has anyone seen or ran one of these systems? How does it compare to other hydro systems like RDWC, Ebb, etc?

I was seriously looking into doing that like 10 years ago when I was vertical growing with a bare bulbs hanging down on a light mover. I just ended up going with almost 300 1 gal pots in a stadium set up. You need to watch how big your plants get in that set up or the roots will clob up the pipe.

I would do a 3" tube.

I have run NFT on and off since 2005, bought some AeroFlo systems from GHE back then, sold them a few years later and from then on been building them myself, hence you save money. I have not run DWC or Ebb and Flo, so cant compare. NFT I think they works very well, especially if you have a limited space to grow in.

Here is a link to my DIY thread on RIU;

DIY NFT

Here is my current grow in it;

Indica Grow With 6 Strains In NFT

At the moment day 35 in flower, picture of this later on today on RIU...

Have a good day people and weekend...

Streetpro09

Tester
I have run NFT on and off since 2005, bought some AeroFlo systems from GHE back then, sold them a few years later and from then on been building them myself, hence you save money. I have not run DWC or Ebb and Flo, so cant compare. NFT I think they works very well, especially if you have a limited space to grow in.

Here is a link to my DIY thread on RIU;

DIY NFT

Here is my current grow in it;

Indica Grow With 6 Strains In NFT

At the moment day 35 in flower, picture of this later on today on RIU...

Have a good day people and weekend...
Do you have a grow journal here yet? Would suggest making one so we can see what your up to. I don't have a riu account and won't, so I can't view pictures there. :confused:

SCJedi

Synergist
Do you have a grow journal here yet? Would suggest making one so we can see what your up to. I don't have a riu account and won't, so I can't view pictures there. :confused:
I don't really do journals. I can show you want I did the last few times I did them though. The last time was in a very unfriendly state and I built the whole walk in closet into a sloped table. There were hinges so I could push plants back and fold the table up to get to the others. I'll see if I can find some pics.

I haven't done NFT for a long time. I am doing LOS and coco with 3-2-1 at the moment.

Streetpro09

Tester
I don't really do journals. I can show you want I did the last few times I did them though. The last time was in a very unfriendly state and I built the whole walk in closet into a sloped table. There were hinges so I could push plants back and fold the table up to get to the others. I'll see if I can find some pics.

I haven't done NFT for a long time. I am doing LOS and coco with 3-2-1 at the moment.
I'm up for seeing anyone's ideas! That sounds interesting with the closet.

Funny you should mention that in relation to a thread here, been buys all day long, with a second closet, will start a thread with it tomorrow, with clones from my other closet. Had planned making it today, but had to get the new closet up and running, plus I sadly had a bucket with 2 gallons of water that broke its handle, on the second floor, nice carpet now, damn...

WebstersBallSack

European Bean Flicker
I started growing in late 90s with nft systems but they were tables not tubes.
Great and simple system.
I can see problems with a tube system, I imagine there is a learning curve, but tables are just simple.
I personally think the right flood and drain set up can outperform nft and has the advantage of having almost no chance of root issues unless pumps fail.

If I remember right there is a guy on riu who has a similar tube nft system , he's called hotdiggitysog or something like that. That's not helpful to those who don't use RIU though :(

SCJedi

Synergist
How come you not have a decent lid, to cover the reservoir with instead of all that plastic?
It was a tight space and I had to be able to pull it out and lift the hinged part to get to the plants. As crude as it looks it worked awesome. It goes to show that shit doesn't have to be expensive and complicated. I was also working a job where I had to be able to move within 24 hours notice.

SCJedi

Synergist
Okay, perhaps you could if using it again, have some distance eg 6 inches from the table and the reservoir and then make a lid, sad if it was to be removed quickly as mentioned...
Oh, I have done it a few times where I have waterfall drains for aeration, I just posted the cob job where I converted the closet. I have used everything from 4x8 trays to 4x8 sheets of plywood, to a door from Home Depot. Simple in, awesome out.

If I were to do it again I would get rolls of the matting bed from Joanne's fabrics to allow really even coverage of the nutrient film.