Newbie chuckers stupid questions

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
Good info man..
Had a quick question for u..
Why on your list, (#6) did say that hollow stems was a good sign?
Just curious?
Thx✌
IME the offspring of hollow stemmed males produce a higher thc count, I also think they are partly responsible for the distance between trichomes, or trichomes per sq/cm on the male leaves, this is something I’ve been keeping track of for a while. That’s the only evidence I have of course, the males that jack thc count up dramatically have more trichomes on the fan leaves and more often than not they possess a hollow stem, the ones I really get excited for are the ones with hollow stems and four leafs per node 👍

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
IME the offspring of hollow stemmed males produce a higher thc count, I also think they are partly responsible for the distance between trichomes, or trichomes per sq/cm on the male leaves, this is something I’ve been keeping track of for a while. That’s the only evidence I have of course, the males that jack thc count up dramatically have more trichomes on the fan leaves and more often than not they possess a hollow stem, the ones I really get excited for are the ones with hollow stems and four leafs per node 👍
Thanks man.. Not sure why i just now seen u replied back to my questions.. Lol.

I thought what u claimed was interesting bout hollow stalks , cause my dad is almost 70 and still grows a couple each year outdoors, i can member him saying back when i started growing like 25 yrs ago that he always thought his most potent n prized plants had hollow stalks..?
Not sure why he thought that.. Didnt ask him at time why he believed that..? Will ask him next time..
Ive had both hollow n solid stemd plants. And both have produced good bud so kinda stumpd why he said that all yrs ago.. Lol

Thanks for info, u might b on to sumthing with ur observation..✌

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member

I thought what u claimed was interesting bout hollow stalks , cause my dad is almost 70 and still grows a couple each year outdoors, i can member him saying back when i started growing like 25 yrs ago that he always thought his most potent n prized plants had hollow stalks..?
Not sure why he thought that.. Didnt ask him at time why he believed that..? Will ask him next time..
Ive had both hollow n solid stemd plants. And both have produced good bud so kinda stumpd why he said that all yrs ago.. Lol

Also the ones that report first in veg tend to reduce flowering time, the ones that are shorter tend to increase thc and the taller ones usually put more production into fiber and not chemical production. But still, only testing them can show you what they can do, like watching their clusters and if you want to, you can reverse them and they’ll make a few small buds that’ll show you the profile they might pass on, when looking through males I like to take 5 cuts, 1 to cross with a known strain, 1 to reverse, 1 to flower out and collect pollen, 1 to inspect the root zone and 1 keep just in case the father has problems, one of my most prized possessions is a Violator Kush Male that only passes on his recessive genes, which kinda means he’s a blank slate so he’s very handy for preserving genetics.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member

Hollow stalks is sometimes an indicator of calcium deficits in other plants.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member

Here is a pic of one of my 3 Blue Grape Fuel males. He makes things greasy and adds a bit of stretch. But most important is his pungent aroma and high thc count, I can get about 5g hash in the tumbler from 100g of his leaves and his trichome profile is very special, its too bad it doesn’t transfer over like that in crosses. I need to find a double recessive female and use her, but that’s for later days. His stems are hollow, and my Blueberry Sinmints #5 male is also like that.
That pic is a clone that just recently donated 4 cuts for a homie, he likes the plant a lot and decided to make him the father for his next project. I’m using it to cross a tested Dinamed 1%thc / 12% cbd and a OG Kush CBD from cbd crew.
I’ll find my keepers in there and get them tested around oct/nov 2022 with my normal annual testing. I actually just started doing this 2 yrs ago, I guess about a year and a half so 2 x but I’m I’m thinking of doing it bi annually now. With people that want med grade bags it sure helps things, plus I like to know myself as well.

Attachments

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Here is a pic of one of my 3 Blue Grape Fuel males. He makes things greasy and adds a bit of stretch. But most important is his pungent aroma and high thc count, I can get about 5g hash in the tumbler from 100g of his leaves and his trichome profile is very special, its too bad it doesn’t transfer over like that in crosses. I need to find a double recessive female and use her, but that’s for later days. His stems are hollow, and my Blueberry Sinmints #5 male is also like that.
That pic is a clone that just recently donated 4 cuts for a homie, he likes the plant a lot and decided to make him the father for his next project. I’m using it to cross a tested Dinamed 1%thc / 12% cbd and a OG Kush CBD from cbd crew.
I’ll find my keepers in there and get them tested around oct/nov 2022 with my normal annual testing. I actually just started doing this 2 yrs ago, I guess about a year and a half so 2 x but I’m I’m thinking of doing it bi annually now. With people that want med grade bags it sure helps things, plus I like to know myself as well.
Hell ya that is sure got sum hollow stems dont he.... I dont clone much but i dont think ive cloned any hollow stemd plants in past... Does it take longer /quicker for roots to form on hollow stemd clippings?
Kool stuff man!

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
Hell ya that is sure got sum hollow stems dont he.... I dont clone much but i dont think ive cloned any hollow stemd plants in past... Does it take longer /quicker for roots to form on hollow stemd clippings?
Kool stuff man!
Not that I’ve noticed, but I always do an IAA tonic soak for 3 mins after I cut the stems at the node in the tonic cup.

Sativa Kid

Working with male plants is basically trial and error. Find yourself a male using stem rub, vigor, and structure. Pair it with a female plant that YOU have experience with and see what you get. To work males you need to keep males alive for years. Pollen is not viable for very long no matter what you do with it.
I like the stem rub, I usually grab a few leaves and wad them up and tear it and smell. I do this often when I'm trimming. Certain breeds have certain smells. GG#4 has a distinct smell that is different from it's diesel smell. My landrace Thai has a spicy smell mixed with extremely fresh smell. Maybe my nose will help after it gets trained .I've already tossed a few strain reviews because they lacked smell.