New York legalization

Peacehead

Looks like this may finally be the year for New York. What do you guys think of cuomos current plans? It looks like he’s on the right track but I’m concerned it is for the money one hundred percent.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Looks like this may finally be the year for New York. What do you guys think of cuomos current plans? It looks like he’s on the right track but I’m concerned it is for the money one hundred percent.
Do you really think any of the states that have legalized it have done it for the people? It's always been about the money and tax revenue. If it weren't then it would be as easy for us to get into the industry as it is for those who brew beer to get into the craft beer industry.

D

Deleted member 60

Folks are gonna be crawling along very slowly when they log in here if they keep the political shit up.

Yup...you guys got it right.......legalization is all about the tax dollars....and a tiny bit of personal freedom as well.

The BIG difference between the alcohol/craft beer analogy and the weed industry....IMO.... is that alcohol is FAR more accepted....so there's far more reservations and scrutiny from the general public about weed on the whole. And the government...well..they know now how much money can be made via weed....so you know how that always plays out.

But you can grow in your house (maybe your yard) and not worry...other than about rippers......if >growing< is truly what you love...and not the $$$. A lot of folks here in CO have hung it up because there's no real money in it anymore......so it's easy to tell who is who. Most of the people who moved here to make $$$ moved elsewhere when they saw things changing.

but nobody should go to jail for growing their own stash....so even with the changes....I sleep better @ night than I did 'back in the day".

But make it while you can....believe me...if you can.....cus as the very old song went "All good things have to come to an end..it's the same with the wildwood weed..." Yup.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Folks are gonna be crawling along very slowly when they log in here if they keep the political shit up.

Yup...you guys got it right.......legalization is all about the tax dollars....and a tiny bit of personal freedom as well.

The BIG difference between the alcohol/craft beer analogy and the weed industry....IMO.... is that alcohol is FAR more accepted....so there's far more reservations and scrutiny from the general public about weed on the whole. And the government...well..they know now how much money can be made via weed....so you know how that always plays out.

But you can grow in your house (maybe your yard) and not worry...other than about rippers......if >growing< is truly what you love...and not the $$$. A lot of folks here in CO have hung it up because there's no real money in it anymore......so it's easy to tell who is who. Most of the people who moved here to make $$$ moved elsewhere when they saw things changing.

but nobody should go to jail for growing their own stash....so even with the changes....I sleep better @ night than I did 'back in the day".

But make it while you can....believe me...if you can.....cus as the very old song went "All good things have to come to an end..it's the same with the wildwood weed..." Yup.
I really don’t want to run a grow op as a business but it sure would be nice to be able to legally sell some of what I grow to friends to help offset the cost of growing.

D

Deleted member 60

I agree with that viewpoint @TreeFarmerCharlie ......but it isn't realistic at all. Think about alcohol again. Can you brew beer or make wine at home and sell it to the public (or even friends) without licensing/testing/all of the other protections in place to keep others safe from those who would profiteer without care about anything but profit?

And then there's taxes. Colorado makes a ton of $$ on taxing weed/weed related products via a @20% sales tax. (Rec sales...med folks only pay state/local taxes at the same rate other things are taxed) How many folks selling individually to friends would pay ANY taxes? Now that the States are getting a tastes of drug dealing....oppps....we are all out.

Like many other things...you have to love what you do enough to absorb the cost of your 'hobby". I had to rewire my head from those really nice profits to "well..i am saving hundreds per month growing my own...and I likely won;t go to jail foir any of it."...so at least there;s that....

but I do hear ya, Sad that we went from totally illegal to a fuckin retail/regulated/licensing situation.....but it is what it is...

@High kev ....yup.....ANY laws that don;t include a right to grow should be shot down....because it truly isn't "legal" if you can't grow some at home.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I really don’t want to run a grow op as a business but it sure would be nice to be able to legally sell some of what I grow to friends to help offset the cost of growing.
That would be my kind of farmers market.

Unless it's one of the big markets you gotta fill out the tax paperwork. Then it's like everyone says here with the state.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Cuomo is an asshole on this issue.................nothing back to communities, no homegrow, he want's 10 1/4% tax and he palns on pricing weed by it's THC content..........he's an ass. He thinks by him talking about legalization...........that means everybody is going to be buying pot from him or NY. How does no homegrow help folks with little money? The senate and the legislature have a super majority right now and there is a decent plan/bill in the house. The super majority can over rule the governor on this and I hope that is what happens. If Cuomo has his way it will be years undoing all the shit he puts into it.
So, in my opinion he's not even close to being on the right track on legalization.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I agree with that viewpoint @TreeFarmerCharlie ......but it isn't realistic at all. Think about alcohol again. Can you brew beer or make wine at home and sell it to the public (or even friends) without licensing/testing/all of the other protections in place to keep others safe from those who would profiteer without care about anything but profit?

And then there's taxes. Colorado makes a ton of $$ on taxing weed/weed related products via a @20% sales tax. (Rec sales...med folks only pay state/local taxes at the same rate other things are taxed) How many folks selling individually to friends would pay ANY taxes? Now that the States are getting a tastes of drug dealing....oppps....we are all out.

Like many other things...you have to love what you do enough to absorb the cost of your 'hobby". I had to rewire my head from those really nice profits to "well..i am saving hundreds per month growing my own...and I likely won;t go to jail foir any of it."...so at least there;s that....

but I do hear ya, Sad that we went from totally illegal to a fuckin retail/regulated/licensing situation.....but it is what it is...

@High kev ....yup.....ANY laws that don;t include a right to grow should be shot down....because it truly isn't "legal" if you can't grow some at home.
I’ll have to check with my buddy who home brews, but I know he has sold his craft beer to local places, and was also legally permitted to ship his beer to Sam Adams for a contest where they manufacture and sell the winners beer for a season. Try doing that with home grown weed!

D

Deleted member 60

You can still sell to your friends here in CO. It just isn't legal to do so. :ROFLMAO: However, you can legally gift someone up to an OZ here.

Private sales undercut the State and rob them of tax $$$. Definitely a no go here in CO on a statewide basis and there are counties here that don't allow any weed-related businesses in their midst. My county only allows Med sales from a select/small number of shops. Rec sales aren't allowed on a retail basis....much less in an unlicensed scenario.

It will be interesting to see how other states approach it all.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You can still sell to your friends here in CO. It just isn't legal to do so. :ROFLMAO: However, you can legally gift someone up to an OZ here.

Private sales undercut the State and rob them of tax $$$. Definitely a no go here in CO on a statewide basis and there are counties here that don't allow any weed-related businesses in their midst. My county only allows Med sales from a select/small number of shops. Rec sales aren't allowed on a retail basis....much less in an unlicensed scenario.

Then DC has that wierd law where it's legal, but you can't buy t or sell it - but you can give it away. Don't know if it's still like that but at one point people were selling expensive T-shirts - with a free bag-o-weed... 🤣 🤷‍♂️

NY has it legal now, so the devil will be in the details. Not expecting much from NY except enriching the gubmint.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

We have the same rules here in MA. Undercutting the state shouldn’t be a concern if they put limits on the quantity you can sell. MA also makes us declare how much we spend each year on things bought in the internet from other states where MA didn’t get their grubby little hands on sales tax. Because they know nobody is going to track that, they have a “get out of jail free card” option where you just pay a fixed tax fee for the year for at least trying to be honest. They could do something like that too.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Then DC has that wierd law where it's legal, but you can't buy t or sell it - but you can give it away. Don't know if it's still like that but at one point people were selling expensive T-shirts - with a free bag-o-weed... 🤣 🤷‍♂️

NY has it legal now, so the devil will be in the details. Not expecting much from NY except enriching the gubmint.
When it was first legalized in MA some plugs started selling $300 ziplock bags on Craigslist that came with a “free” zip of weed. The state caught on in about a week and rounded them up.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
We have the same rules here in MA. Undercutting the state shouldn’t be a concern if they put limits on the quantity you can sell. MA also makes us declare how much we spend each year on things bought in the internet from other states where MA didn’t get their grubby little hands on sales tax. Because they know nobody is going to track that, they have a “get out of jail free card” option where you just pay a fixed tax fee for the year for at least trying to be honest. They could do something like that too.
In any rec-legal state your best bet for a small business is to sell go-withs. Not weed. Sell lights, bongs, fans, whatever - but the regs and fees will kill small business on actual weed sales. Maybe if you grow for a dispensary, but there's still licensure and fees, product testing, etc.