New tent in grow room, which light to use?

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
My 2 x 2 veg tent will be here soon. Here's what I picked up

vegtent.pngvegtent2.png

$44 on Amazon. What I liked about this tent was that it has lots of duct holes, in this case 4 x 7" and a 1 x 9"! This is the same reason I chose my 4 x 2 tent over the literally hundreds just like it, better hole options.

I'm growing in a small space, with pitched sides, about 6'L x 8'W x 7.5'H

room.png

I may actually look into replacing the 4 x 2 with a 3 x 3 in the future, just to have a little more room in there. But I have yet to setup the 2 x 2, so we'll see.

For heat, I've been burning my 250w dual hps/mh outside the growroom, and pulling that into the tent, along with ambient air from the house. Both ducts are being pulled by a 6" fan, plenty of power for my small setup.

I'm scratching my head whether I want to just move the 250w mh into the veg tent for the winter, or keep it where it is, and use the cute little qb65 I picked up. Is the qb worth burning an extra 65w?

Attachments

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
You're right, makes sense. Would a cool tube fit in there? I think it's pushing right up against 23-24" long. I'd basically have to run the ducting straight through the top, glad it's got those 7" holes though! 😁

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
HLG did have the V1 288’s on sale for $29. You could grab one of those and a driver for less than $100, it’d be great for that space.
That's a friggin steal, but I already have both lights. didn't know about the 288's until after I picked it up :_(

I'm also piecing together my next flower light. qb132's in a DIY build. I bought the LRS-350-36 already, boards hopefully soon. Probably won't start a frame for it until I know if I'll stick with the 4 x 2 for flower, or need to go with a 3 x 3. A matching 3 x 3 from the same company would look pretty dope :unsure:

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
That's a friggin steal, but I already have both lights. didn't know about the 288's until after I picked it up :_(

I'm also piecing together my next flower light. qb132's in a DIY build. I bought the LRS-350-36 already, boards hopefully soon. Probably won't start a frame for it until I know if I'll stick with the 4 x 2 for flower, or need to go with a 3 x 3. A matching 3 x 3 from the same company would look pretty dope :unsure:
U will love that qb132s setup. If u need help wiring i got pics from when i did the ones i owned b4 they got taken.. But kept pucs cause my memory isnt well at times..lol. They work perfectly for either 3x3 or 2x4 to flower.. What kelvin u going with? I had 2700k and 3000k. They worked quite well. 1 pac of 132's and lrs-350-36 driver can get u a lb in either space.. Hmu if u need anything

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
U will love that qb132s setup. If u need help wiring i got pics from when i did the ones i owned b4 they got taken.. But kept pucs cause my memory isnt well at times..lol. They work perfectly for either 3x3 or 2x4 to flower.. What kelvin u going with? I had 2700k and 3000k. They worked quite well. 1 pac of 132's and lrs-350-36 driver can get u a lb in either space.. Hmu if u need anything
Thanks will do! Yeah I probably will need some help with the wiring. Read something about needing to jumper V- to ground, which is cool, but how the hell would anyone know that?!

I'm going with the 3000k, I think Amazon only carries the 3000k and 4000k. I also have my 2 COB's that are 3500k. Not even sure what I'm going to do with that light :LOL: , but it's really not enough to cover a 4x2 or 3x3 IMO, but I do like them... I'll find a use for them later!

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Thanks will do! Yeah I probably will need some help with the wiring. Read something about needing to jumper V- to ground, which is cool, but how the hell would anyone know that?!

I'm going with the 3000k, I think Amazon only carries the 3000k and 4000k. I also have my 2 COB's that are 3500k. Not even sure what I'm going to do with that light :LOL: , but it's really not enough to cover a 4x2 or 3x3 IMO, but I do like them... I'll find a use for them later!
What u will need also to wire the driver up is a cord for driver. U wil havta make ur own. Easyest and cheapest way was to buy a 3 pronged extension cord from walmart or wherever u want. Any wil work i just went with a new one so i new all was good. Just cut the end off of extension cord ud plug into wall.. There shud b 3 wires at end u cut. Those 3 wires go to driver. But will explain it better when time comes and ur ready if u need my help. U will b glad u went with that setup for ur space.. 👍

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
My 2 x 2 veg tent will be here soon. Here's what I picked up

View attachment 45410View attachment 45411

$44 on Amazon. What I liked about this tent was that it has lots of duct holes, in this case 4 x 7" and a 1 x 9"! This is the same reason I chose my 4 x 2 tent over the literally hundreds just like it, better hole options.

I'm growing in a small space, with pitched sides, about 6'L x 8'W x 7.5'H

View attachment 45413

I may actually look into replacing the 4 x 2 with a 3 x 3 in the future, just to have a little more room in there. But I have yet to setup the 2 x 2, so we'll see.

For heat, I've been burning my 250w dual hps/mh outside the growroom, and pulling that into the tent, along with ambient air from the house. Both ducts are being pulled by a 6" fan, plenty of power for my small setup.

I'm scratching my head whether I want to just move the 250w mh into the veg tent for the winter, or keep it where it is, and use the cute little qb65 I picked up. Is the qb worth burning an extra 65w?
Def the halide

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
What u will need also to wire the driver up is a cord for driver. U wil havta make ur own. Easyest and cheapest way was to buy a 3 pronged extension cord from walmart or wherever u want. Any wil work i just went with a new one so i new all was good. Just cut the end off of extension cord ud plug into wall.. There shud b 3 wires at end u cut. Those 3 wires go to driver. But will explain it better when time comes and ur ready if u need my help. U will b glad u went with that setup for ur space.. 👍
Hey @Big Terps thank you 🙏 that's some solid info. A pound?! I grow personal meds, maybe smoke some homies out every once in a while, but if I can pull a pound I only need to grow once year, and I'd probably have enough to throw bricks of it in the fire pit out back :LOL: Not that I'm complaining!

But growing from seed has been a bit of a crap shoot, and if I don't have a great yield, or I'm not a fan of the smoke/effect, then I risk running out of meds. No bueno, because I will not be able to sleep, ever.

I've been flowering 2 plants in a Scrog, that's been my go-to for years. For the most part, it's been enough, but just barely. I'm one shitty grow away from not having meds. So I gotta up my game. Can't wait to start a journal when I get all this situated.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Hey @Big Terps thank you 🙏 that's some solid info. A pound?! I grow personal meds, maybe smoke some homies out every once in a while, but if I can pull a pound I only need to grow once year, and I'd probably have enough to throw bricks of it in the fire pit out back :LOL: Not that I'm complaining!

But growing from seed has been a bit of a crap shoot, and if I don't have a great yield, or I'm not a fan of the smoke/effect, then I risk running out of meds. No bueno, because I will not be able to sleep, ever.

I've been flowering 2 plants in a Scrog, that's been my go-to for years. For the most part, it's been enough, but just barely. I'm one shitty grow away from not having meds. So I gotta up my game. Can't wait to start a journal when I get all this situated.
No problem dude. Im glad to help u and others that wanna listen..lol
When i grow its allways from seed and have found it alot easier to manage if i keep my plant count low but train the fuck out of em so i get as much as i can outta each plant.
With the qb132s and sum skills that lb shudnt be to hard to do if all goes as planned.
For the price of equipment u will b buying itll b a investment u will be quite happy with once u get that first harvest under ur belt using them. And u and buddys will b able to tell your game is stepped up once u see the quality they can produce and ur electric bill will b better than if u used the old tech of hps/mh.
What is ur thoughts on where ud want to place ur driver? On light fixture or a wall outside of ur tent? Did u get the v1's or v2's? Personally they are pretty close in overall light output just the v2's are little more efficient.
Also sumthing thatll make it easier on u as far as fine tuneing them quantums is a cheap multimeter.. With one of them u can see how many volts ur using and in return u can tell how many watts ur pumping out threw the boards. The v1's will flicker around 37 volts and v2's will flicker at around 35.5 volts. The flicker is a safety feature built into lights to prevent over powering them.
Just things i member when i owned and built my setups.
I will gladly pull up a chair to watch ur journal once u get everything going.. It b kool to watch bro! Hit me up if u got any questions with them or driver wiring pics.

P.s. im pumped seeing im in 1st place on the potm contest. Never win shit usually so this wood be quite the feat for myself.. Plus hell i definitely could use those genetics if i do win.. Or with how dry it is around here a couple nuggs wood be greatly accepted... Lol.
Thanks dude and hmu if u need sumthing!👊✌

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Oh shit @Big Terps, that was you! I was showing my buddies that pic the other day like wtf, look at this insane grow, I'm about to have the same light setup hehe. Hell yeah, job well done! I am pulling for you!

For the board, I was going with the V2's, again it's what's available to me on Amazon. I was planning on running them at 34v, I think that was recommended somewhere. I was just planning on having the driver on the frame, is there a benefit to keeping it outside?

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I think the weight will be ok, i hang that heavy ass carbon filter from the top of my flower tent. Good point on the heat. With the halide in the one tent putting off heat for the whole setup, I probably don't need the added heat of the driver, and I damn sure won't want it when it gets warmer outside.

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
I got a 400W MH/HPS ballast and cool tube w/fan and reflector just sitting gathering dust , I would run something like that in there and have lights on at night in a room You keep rather temperate. 70 or so. Or a 250 ish W LED.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I got a 400W MH/HPS ballast and cool tube w/fan and reflector just sitting gathering dust , I would run something like that in there and have lights on at night in a room You keep rather temperate. 70 or so. Or a 250 ish W LED.
Exactly what I am doing right now. I have the HPS outside putting off heat, and pulling that heat into the flower tent. Even when it's been down in the 20's outside, I've been able to pretty much maintain 65-75, give or take a little on the higher side depending on how warm it gets (it can still have warm days around here). Helps having the ambient house air being pulled-in too.

So the plan is to switch that to the MH (it's an old school dual HPS/MH magnetic ballast) and move it into the new veg tent to serve double duty as veg light and heater. When the warm weather starts to stick again, I'll swap it out with the qb65

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Oh shit @Big Terps, that was you! I was showing my buddies that pic the other day like wtf, look at this insane grow, I'm about to have the same light setup hehe. Hell yeah, job well done! I am pulling for you!

For the board, I was going with the V2's, again it's what's available to me on Amazon. I was planning on running them at 34v, I think that was recommended somewhere. I was just planning on having the driver on the frame, is there a benefit to keeping it outside?
Yes sir that pic was mine. Thx for the kind words. Sum folks have hobbies like hunting, fishing, sports, etc, besides family i just love to smoke and grow the best plants i can.

The v2's at 34volts is prolly like 65-70 watts a board. Hlg has a conversion chart saying what volts = what watts per board. I do no the v2's max volts is around 35.5 volts then they flicker. Which means ur past 75 watts a board. I ran them wide open from day 1 til end and never worried bout em getting hot .

Like @chronic wonders said bout driver being if heat is issue in tent and weight for tent frame. Also it makes it easier to mount driver just outside of tent on a wall or u can build a alum frame for drivers . just boltd to alum and then to wall. But the lrs drivers have a built in fan and the driver dont get hot at all. Barely warm to touch. But all drivers put of heat and with lrs models that heat is blown off the driver into ur tent. So u wont gotta worry bout the driver itself being hot but will raise temp in a tent. No where near a hps\mh. Another reason i suggest putting driver outside ur tent is cause it'll make it so much easier on u if u wanna adjust the brightness on lights. Theres a Philips screw on driver u turn to adjust the volts ( brightness).
Just my opinions bro. Feel free to ask anything u want on ur new boards n driver.✌

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
HLG did have the V1 288’s on sale for $29. You could grab one of those and a driver for less than $100, it’d be great for that space.
I agree with this. I have a v1 288 in 5000k running in my veg tent, a 2x2x4. It's great for the space. I have it on a 150 watt meanwell dialed to around 100 watts.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I agree with this. I have a v1 288 in 5000k running in my veg tent, a 2x2x4. It's great for the space. I have it on a 150 watt meanwell dialed to around 100 watts.
Yes thats a nice choice for your area. But with 4 boards he could put 2 qb132s in that space and have a more even coverage. Then use other 2 boards for clones or added to his 2 cob fixture for flowering. Plus the 288's require heatsink and price of driver wood equal his qb132s & lrs driver. For same money he could get 120 -140 watts worth in just 1 qb288 or 4 boards and 300 watts of qb132s.
Not saying u mentioned a bad option for him or hating on ur opinion but for me the price of the qb132s & lrs driver (300w) option made more sense imo. Thx