Need suggestions for cameras and motion detectors.

Now1more

Super Active Member
With the outdoor season still a few months away I would like some input on cheap options for security. Last year's crop was robbed the night before I harvested. We had a full moon and it was so damn bright that you could have stood outside and read a damn newspaper. Went out to harvest around 5 a.m. to find my greenhouse slashed and all but one plant taken. Probably close to 5 pounds gone!!! Not happening again this year. Even if I have to sleep out there armed. So, please does anyone have some options for me. Cheap reliable cameras... motion sensors... etc. Budget is in mind here as I have a lot of improvements to do on my rock farm.

TheOther

Get IR flood lights to light up the approaches and crop. That will give you much better video definition than just relying on the camera emitters.
Turn off the IR emitters on cameras within the grow, they will cause problems if they are within a few feet,.

3 thing rippers don't want is noise, lights and time, so keep an eye out for cleared paths, damaged lights.
Super thin grey thread strung thru the woods at upper chest height will give you an idea where and when they are scouting. Deer usually keep heads lower, don't snag it except on game trail and leave tracks.
Just run long lines perpendicular to the approaches. Once they walk into it, there no putting it back and hiding the passage.

Driveway motion sensors send a signal to the house ( 4 distinct chimes) are another option to look at.
Last year's crop was robbed the night before I harvested. We had a full moon and it was so damn bright that you could have stood outside and read a damn newspaper. Went out to harvest around 5 a.m. to find my greenhouse slashed and all but one plant taken
Two things jump out...Did anyone else know you were cutting the next day?
How did the rippers know they were ready unless they snooped earlier?
Either way, they scouted the area prior, knew a route to the greenhouse at night and attacked on a full moon. Now you have their MO for the next grow because they are coming back.
Look at the calendar now, you know the next ripoff date within 72 hrs now. Oct 1 is Harvest Moon this year.

Now1more

Super Active Member
No one knew my harvest date and I don't let anyone around here know that I grow.

I have a couple acres of open field from the road. My greenhouse is near the wood line which is probably 300 feet from the road. I'm thinking that they took an educated guess by seeing my greenhouse (which is actually green) next to a huge vegetable garden. Last year was the first year that this happened and I will be damn certain that if they come around again, it will be the last.

I did find where they entered my property at the bottom of the hill. I don't mow there so the grass was high. Looks like they made a B-line for the wood line and skirted up along to the back of the greenhouse.

TheOther

I'm thinking that they took an educated guess by seeing my greenhouse (which is actually green) next to a huge vegetable garden.
Yea, they count ducts and fans running, and scope anything unusual. May be hunters as well.
My greenhouse is near the wood line which is probably 300 feet from the road....Looks like they made a B-line for the wood line and skirted up along to the back of the greenhouse.
Tough to monitor or stop.
If you want to ID, go with cams.
To catch, go with driveway sensors at the parking area and wood line, back of greenhouse.
If it's deterrence, then lighting and barriers.
22 cal trip.jpg
You could put a .22cal/12ga blank trip line thru the interior perimeter, those work.

Now1more

Super Active Member
I like the tripwire idea! I also heard someone once suggest putting fishing hooks all through you plants. Like the thought, but no thanks. Lol

Vee

Ancient Member
With the outdoor season still a few months away I would like some input on cheap options for security. Last year's crop was robbed the night before I harvested. We had a full moon and it was so damn bright that you could have stood outside and read a damn newspaper. Went out to harvest around 5 a.m. to find my greenhouse slashed and all but one plant taken. Probably close to 5 pounds gone!!! Not happening again this year. Even if I have to sleep out there armed. So, please does anyone have some options for me. Cheap reliable cameras... motion sensors... etc. Budget is in mind here as I have a lot of improvements to do on my rock farm.
Fairly obvious to say that you were being watched - real close like!

lay a trap or forever be sleeping outside to force an encounter

good luck

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Man that sounds like an inside job cause they left some and hit u the night before. That’s fucked up. hope what ever approach you use works.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
They must have known how to grow or somehow got really really lucky usually the people that steal plants don’t know anything about growing and end up taking it 4 weeks into flower and just have premature bud that they don’t dry cure right or even trim right. In the end can’t sell it for much so pretty useless and dumb to do. That sucks sorry this happened to you your such a good person. It’s fucked up. Set some bear traps for those mother fuckers take off a leg.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
They must have known how to grow or somehow got really really lucky usually the people that steal plants don’t know anything about growing and end up taking it 4 weeks into flower and just have premature bud that they don’t dry cure right or even trim right. In the end can’t sell it for much so pretty useless and dumb to do. That sucks sorry this happened to you your such a good person. It’s fucked up. Set some bear traps for those mother fuckers take off a leg.
Or even signs - Beware of dogs or Do Not Enter Animal Traps Present.

Now1more

Super Active Member
I've decided to go with some IR cameras to possibly identify, but I found this nifty little device to scare them off. I hope this scares the shit out of whoever it is!

@Old ST1R You're correct. I'm not looking for an encounter. I'd prefer to scare them off and hopefully identify. My property is marked with No Trespassing signs, and as a legal caregiver business, hopefully prosecutable.

Waxman420

On top of cameras and lights . Fishing hooks strung up like xmas decorations and then outward facing razorblades installed into trunk before flowering .

They reach for the stalk if the hooks dont deter them they reach for the trunk and split open their palm . Bloody mess instantly .

They will have thier hand rapped for quite a while making it easy to spot the thief .