need some insight.

Woody

ok i`m thinking of building 4 lights to see if this whole trichome enhancement is worth it for my garden. right now 1kw vertical bare bulb, usually 4 plants in a 4 x 5 closet. the plan is to use 1 of these lights per corner. i`m looking to add far red and uv, i have seen pucks that have one or the other but not both hence the build. those pucks use 4 leds, so i thinking that 2 of each color per puck should work but i`m kinda clueless to the led thing.
ok yall get me on the right path if you don`t mind.

Sat and talked with a builder prior to building my Samsung strip lights. Full customs. Anyways, I asked about adding the booster strips in with my build. He was very spot on with me and honest...his reply was, you can get the same results with just adding different strips specs. 4000k and so on.

I have various spectrums built into my light as well...104137420_610288899605195_8294709551454935447_n.jpg

However....science shows, If I am right anyways ( just off the top of my head ) that more blue provides something with nodes and spacing while the reds provide more trichome production.

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
3k red is fine.
Most of the spikes like UV 230nm? Or less and the real reds like 610nm,630nm and 660nm are popular add ons with 730nm as the Far Red.
3k or even High Cri 4k will hit alot of these spikes imho without add-on just get it up into the high DLI category or blast them with 1000PPFD :).
I have always leaned towards strain dependency no matter how good the spectrum is. Output should be first. A bare bulb Thouie with no reflector will hit over 1000PPFD @2100K, but an proper LED will hit that at 700ish watts giver or take.
Even though the bare bulb takes away the penalty of a reflector you still have the 945nm IR heat spike from the bulb and its focused on the plants.

F series

Insanely Active Member
Always do mixed spectrum if you're customizing
3k, 4k
3k, 5k
I personally feel far red isn't worth the extra money or work. But allegedly it shaves off a week of flowering, if that makes a difference for you maybe it's worth it. I don't think it's worth it for most people

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
with my bulb in between the plants i have a sqft all the way around the room that get little to no light. so i`m looking to add some helpful light to fatten things up a little more.
Add another Hps? :)

I should have summed this up better.
-Most of what we know says hit it with raw light, HPS is still the gold standard, so supplementation is great when looking for red spectrums, but if they arent adding power aka intensity umol/s, than they are foo foo a bit.
-Hps Has a lot of heat, but so does high wattage LEDs.

I would hit it with red spectrum white light, lol, looks funny when I type it, but 3k, 2700k spectrums and get the most light intensity while satiating some or most of that red requirement.

Cobs might not be a terrible option, cheap but great efficency at high power like a Bridgelux VERO 29. Although these are old school after 5 years or so, ha :)!
But strips and plates certainly spread light as well or better just in a different foot print....

I also dont believe in 5 or 6500k for veg anymore, if thats even important to this discussion....

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado

-Most of what we know says hit it with raw light, HPS is still the gold standard, so supplementation is great when looking for red spectrums, but if they arent adding power aka intensity umol/s, than they are foo foo a bit.

I would hit it with red spectrum white light, lol, looks funny when I type it, but 3k, 2700k spectrums and get the most light intensity while satiating some or most of that red requirement.

Cobs might not be a terrible option, cheap but great efficency at high power like a Bridgelux VERO 29. Although these are old school after 5 years or so, ha :)!
But strips and plates certainly spread light as well or better just in a different foot print....

I also dont believe in 5 or 6500k for veg anymore, if thats even important to this discussion....
Wow this was on point. Agreed

Sorry for intruding in your thread Woody but this statement got me interested. I've been looking for something different for my 4 x 4 veg tents. I am currently using a 600 watt 7200k MH conversion bulb in a hood. I am really not noticing a faster or thicker stem growth. I'm thinking I'm wasting watts here. I also use a 660 hps in flower and my buds get frosty as my pics in the past have shown. But I think they can be better.

I want to try something different and have been looking for ideas. I don't have much in tools so building my own is not an option. But I can put kits together easily with my electronics background. Maybe you guys can help me and Woody out :giggle:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk

Vero 29 Gen 7 is one of the top COB's on the market, even today. I have never had one fail in 5 years. They are a "workhorse". Pics speak for themselves.

Opie1

Master Grower
Probably nothing....just high numbers really. Like far out. From my understanding of it, 3500k is where you want to be but 4000K and higher starts putting you in those far numbers. Still learning it myself though.
I understand the lower the number the more red/orange and the higher the number the more blue/white. I just don’t know what his post was meaning.