Need little guidance with DWC please...

I have 2 DWC plants in a 5 gallon tote on opposite ends....However, I let them go a little too long in there and their roots are now intertwined with each other. SO can I cut the roots and separate them OR can I just let them go and flower them out in the tot together. I know they will use alot of water together once they get bigger.

My options...

1. Cut the roots and let them veg longer to recover <-----never done this before
2. Let em go and just flower them out that way.

angel4us

Super Active Member
Yes you can cut them or let them grow in same tote .... the following pictures show both ... I cut these roots , to get them out of single tote and put two back into a bigger tote in my system.... they doing good !

Attachments

Yes you can cut them or let them grow in same tote .... the following pictures show both ... I cut these roots , to get them out of single tote and put two back into a bigger tote in my system.... they doing good !
Yea they do look awesome. Thanks. I just didnt wanna mess them up. Never cut roots directly before lol

angel4us

Super Active Member
Yea I can imagine....its amazing how much bigger hydroponic grown plants get compared to soil plants in less time.
Yeah these plants were put in this tub two &1/2 maybe three weeks ago from cloner and they are damn near ready to flower .... I’ll harvest and clean room and system and drop them in and start filling screen immediately and will be flipping within a couple weeks ????

Attachments

Skunkle Justin

You can prune your roots the same way you would prune your foliage. However, do not “lollipop” your roots. Your root mass will have different functions in different places. In DWC the roots up top take in oxygen while the roots towards the bottom are continuously expanding in search for water while always being submerged. So, if you whack of all the “air” roots, you get problems. If you take huge chunks of root “stalks or stems” you get problems. If you “defoliate” your roots too much, yup, you get problems. This is a VERY broad stroke generalization of root function, but an easy way to make sense of it.

I AM

@Skunkle Justin

At a time, I started lowering my dwc buckets to just 1 gal. Each. It kept my feed neat & my changes lite & fast. 24 buckets a week...
It was imo a smart move.

My air stones would bubble harder. Even if my root hair were just about an inch above the actual water...the bubble would pop an still spritz the fine root hairs in each rez.

I had no idea about the air intake vs the water uptake.
Thats crazy how that works out.

I AM

View attachment 64970View attachment 64971
pinch her right...& she bends right over
If look at the net pot lid you notice the air line isnt there. I use to take seedling put them in the cloner to build root mass with NFT. Then transfer to 10" coco. Top feed until root reached the net bottom. Thats the critical point because roots are only an inch out inside 5 gal.

So this was the transition point where my 5gal. Rez water was actually a few inches lower. About 2 or 2.5 gal. Just under the 10" net.