My new LED bulb, a dual purpose unit

jpcyan

Really Active Member
:LOL:Before you laugh me right off the forum, my wife bought these. But I thought I'd share anyway, because I think it might actually be a nice addition to my tent for seedlings and clones on the top shelf.
She called me in to the TV the other day, saying " hey i just bought some new lights for the front and back door."
I thought... oh great.. some TV shopping channel junk I could get on eby for half the price, if i even had a reason to want one. And that was true i found them for 3-4 dollars each instead of 7.
Well.. Turns out I do have a need..
I have had great luck and some of the healthiest cuts and seedling under cool blue CFL's Now they are not so available, this might be a supplemental/ replacement with a bonus.

The specs:
Standard E-26 connect ( fits same as cfl or incandescent socket)
9 watt consumption, Rated 8W power
600 Lumens
1500W high voltage grid
4 UV leds (blue)

1500w High Voltage grid?. .Yep theses are a 2 in1 light and bug zapper😁
Flip the light switch on once and you get the 6500k and the UV LEDs and zapper.
Flip it on, off and back on, just the UV. and zapper.

I know it wont add much to the total light but they are surprisingly bright in our outdoor fixtures. Way brighter than the 5 watt yellow LED we had tried. Which seemed like were attracting more bugs than it deterred.

So I ran them over nite in the lights by the doors, and to my surprise the bug zapper portion was absolutely covered with tiny gnats and flying insects. The moths and fliers any larger than a dime didnt seem to get through to the zapper, which is fine with me.
The reason I might try them?...fungus gnats. I have battled the lil pests many times and they seem to multiply faster than I can get them with BTi or any other preventive measure.
I dont have them now, but have no doubt they will come again at some point, and I'll be ready :p
I also have a drain fly problem at times. Might help with those as well.
Pics coming once the cam batteries charge hehe.
Not exactly a COB but hey, its multi purpose and the added spectrum I want. aha!

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
:LOL:Before you laugh me right off the forum, my wife bought these. But I thought I'd share anyway, because I think it might actually be a nice addition to my tent for seedlings and clones on the top shelf.
She called me in to the TV the other day, saying " hey i just bought some new lights for the front and back door."
I thought... oh great.. some TV shopping channel junk I could get on eby for half the price, if i even had a reason to want one. And that was true i found them for 3-4 dollars each instead of 7.
Well.. Turns out I do have a need..
I have had great luck and some of the healthiest cuts and seedling under cool blue CFL's Now they are not so available, this might be a supplemental/ replacement with a bonus.

The specs:
Standard E-26 connect ( fits same as cfl or incandescent socket)
9 watt consumption, Rated 8W power
600 Lumens
1500W high voltage grid
4 UV leds (blue)

1500w High Voltage grid?. .Yep theses are a 2 in1 light and bug zapper😁
Flip the light switch on once and you get the 6500k and the UV LEDs and zapper.
Flip it on, off and back on, just the UV. and zapper.

I know it wont add much to the total light but they are surprisingly bright in our outdoor fixtures. Way brighter than the 5 watt yellow LED we had tried. Which seemed like were attracting more bugs than it deterred.

So I ran them over nite in the lights by the doors, and to my surprise the bug zapper portion was absolutely covered with tiny gnats and flying insects. The moths and fliers any larger than a dime didnt seem to get through to the zapper, which is fine with me.
The reason I might try them?...fungus gnats. I have battled the lil pests many times and they seem to multiply faster than I can get them with BTi or any other preventive measure.
I dont have them now, but have no doubt they will come again at some point, and I'll be ready :p
I also have a drain fly problem at times. Might help with those as well.
Pics coming once the cam batteries charge hehe.
Not exactly a COB but hey, its multi purpose and the added spectrum I want. aha!
I need a gnat zapper. Fury little basterds.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
LED UV Bug Zapper 030.jpgzapper 1 night 019.jpgUV Zapper Only 027.jpgzapper led brush and 1 nights catch 020.jpg

This is all functions and one nights use at back door/porch light. Actually only about half the catch, I bumped the bulb on my desk and now have almost as many waiting to be cleaned off the desk beside my keyboard..
I would like to pop off the cover globe, but these aren't mine to tinker with.
I'll be ordering at least a pair just for fun, and hope it can be of some benefit to both the plants usable spectrum and pest management when needed.

jpcyan

Really Active Member

jpcyan

Really Active Member
I agree, they do best in the dark for the bugs, But any reduction of fungus gnats in my rooms and tent would be desirable. Especially for the cuttings and seedlings which are the most susceptible to the problems gnats can bring.

I run 24 hrs on anyway for the tent usually, so cutting back to 18hrs and using only the UV/zapper during the short dark period shouldn't have any effect on the plants and still be effective at reducing the gnat population, if and when they come.
Plus I cant find CFL's as mine burn out, These will suffice in a pinch and as a supplement.

The top of my tent can be isolated from the lower portion which holds mothers as far as light goes, but the 18hrs shouldn't affect the mothers either. I"m just starting up again, so it will not be a change for any plants.

The flowering plants are in a different room altogether.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I agree, they do best in the dark for the bugs, But any reduction of fungus gnats in my rooms and tent would be desirable. Especially for the cuttings and seedlings which are the most susceptible to the problems gnats can bring.

I run 24 hrs on anyway for the tent usually, so cutting back to 18hrs and using only the UV/zapper during the short dark period shouldn't have any effect on the plants and still be effective at reducing the gnat population, if and when they come.
Plus I cant find CFL's as mine burn out, These will suffice in a pinch and as a supplement.

The top of my tent can be isolated from the lower portion which holds mothers as far as light goes, but the 18hrs shouldn't affect the mothers either. I"m just starting up again, so it will not be a change for any plants.

The flowering plants are in a different room altogether.
I think if you ran it for a short while in the dark you would most likely kill most of the gnats in there. I am just not sure how the plants would react to the UV light with it on during the dark period. Keep us posted how it works out. I am having a battle with them right now.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
In the tent its not an issue as its purely on veg cycle top and bottom. I'd just have to give it a short dark cycle to make the LED/UV/Zapper work if it needs to be in the dark. The 6500k LED would just be supplemental the rest of the time.

I dont know how much just the UV would affect my flowering plants if I put one in my bud room during the dark period. But that's not the plan, only the tent.

I would think it would not be good . The LED Blue-violet band it emits is 365-420nm wavelength to attract insects and kill them. This could interfere with the dark cycle . They arent real bright but that wavelength could affect the phytochrome/ receptors and start throwing out hermies from the exposure or stress.

Something maybe I'll have to try If I want to run any in the bud room dark cycle just for pest control.
In the light cycle I guess I would have to test it to see if it had any effectiveness at all with the gnats.
@ CaPtC -If i try it I will let ya know. I know others deal with these lil gnasties too and would llike a solution with the bonus of added light.
Try some granular BTi in your soil to kill new larvae or some of the Monterey BT liquid. It does work fairly well.
Damn I hate gnats.

And wouldnt you know it I spoke to soon. I just killed one by hand. Only one I saw, but if theres one...

Last edited:

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Well, I received the 3- 15 watt units for $9 bucks. But then... I screwed one into a socket, turned it on, and got only the UV blue. They all 3 tested the same.

I didnt yet touch my tongue to the zapper to see if its hot.. maybe later ;) My seriously sadistic female domme friend might enjoy watching that 🤪. sorry tmi . Anyway...

I tried the on off on thing to cycle through the modes but again nothing.. just the blue UV's.
So I tried three different sockets and switches, still the same.(n)
They were advertised as 110v, but I noticed on the box 220v was marked. hmmmm.
Ofc no reply from seller and not really worth my time and expense to box up, drive to town, and ship/return these things.

I'm sure one of you can help me get these up and burning.

They come apart real easy and you can see all of the components.

I'm gonna grab my DMM and run a few continuity tests, maybe some voltage checks as well. Take some pics.. and then..

open.jpglowerpcb UVled.jpgpcbled1.jpg

Continuity tested- Red wires at top pcb/led board to center tap supply socket✔
every trace to components , LEDs✔
Everything appears to have connection, every leg, LED to LED. No open traces.

All you LED experts, please gimme some feedback. I really want to run these!

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Well, I received the 3- 15 watt units for $9 bucks. But then... I screwed one into a socket, turned it on, and got only the UV blue. They all 3 tested the same.

I didnt yet touch my tongue to the zapper to see if its hot.. maybe later ;) My seriously sadistic female domme friend might enjoy watching that 🤪. sorry tmi . Anyway...

I tried the on off on thing to cycle through the modes but again nothing.. just the blue UV's.
So I tried three different sockets and switches, still the same.(n)
They were advertised as 110v, but I noticed on the box 220v was marked. hmmmm.
Ofc no reply from seller and not really worth my time and expense to box up, drive to town, and ship/return these things.

I'm sure one of you can help me get these up and burning.

They come apart real easy and you can see all of the components.

I'm gonna grab my DMM and run a few continuity tests, maybe some voltage checks as well. Take some pics.. and then..

View attachment 20062View attachment 20063View attachment 20064

Continuity tested- Red wires at top pcb/led board to center tap supply socket✔
every trace to components , LEDs✔
Everything appears to have connection, every leg, LED to LED. No open traces.

All you LED experts, please gimme some feedback. I really want to run these!
120-220 should be ok. It would be running at 1/2 power.
Now u really wanna see sadistic shit. Hook,up the 240 and lick,it!!!
I had a few old recessed can lights I made into a Frankenstein light. Just sold to a buddy for 30$!!! Haha free to me dumpster dive!!

Sc006

If I know anything. I know nothing.
I seen these at wally world in the garden section but I believe the were a bit more. Wondered if they actually worked when I was looking at them, was thinking of using for using for those little bastard fungus nats myself lol.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
I seen these at wally world in the garden section but I believe the were a bit more. Wondered if they actually worked when I was looking at them, was thinking of using for using for those little bastard fungus nats myself lol.
The ones outside my front and back door work fantastic. They are surprisingly bright, and I've been cleaning the zappers daily, sometimes 2x a night with my air compressor. Still though, living in the countryside, there is a never ending supply of bugs attracted to the lights. But they zap all that get in there.
As temps cool there will be less random fliers and mainly mosquito.

Ok so anyone? Any ideas on how to get the 6500k LED's to light up? They don't come on at all.
Im not sure the boxes are even marked correctly (made in china ofc). Stll no reply from seller, grrrrrr.

Im gonna grab a portable socket and try a few voltage checks later. Also thinking about how I can safely get 220V from a single 110v source line? And how it would wire into a socket?
I've never seen 220v standard light sockets, but I've never actually looked either.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
OK well it appears they must actually be 220v. Here the pics on 110v.

Notice when I touch the pcb the 6500K LEDs brighten.. hmm? But nothing like they should be. LED220 on110 002.jpgLED220 wtouch006.jpgblueLED220on110.jpgblueLED220 007.jpg

The zapper works, but not strong on 110v. It knocks some bugs down but not out.

So I have 1- 110V circuit to my tent/that whole room. With an 8 outlet strip powering the components inside.

Is it possible to get 220V from this or being all in the same phase will it only produce 110V running from 2 outlets in parallel?

This is what the original 110v look light without the globe

LED110original2.jpgLED110 originals.jpg

jpcyan

Really Active Member
I agree.
Maybe i can figure a way to modify the bulbs. Change the circuit or something.
I'm not sure if the LED's are rated for 220v or if that is just what is needed at one of driver components. ?

The zapper and blue Leds are fine as is. Gnats are small and it was knocking out the small bugs outside, but I would sure love the extra 6500k for my cuttings and seedlings.

I do have another (actually 2 maybe 3) 110 circuits on a different phase only a few feet away in the flower room. But I've never wired a socket on 220v, will have to look at that.

I just like messing around, I'm mostly wasting time with this, as I have too many other things that I need to get too ;)🍄
Hopefully the seller will replace cause 1 bad review really hurts a new seller with less than 20 sales haha.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I have an led bulb that is 220 on the label. It has a converter inside that boosts the voltage up using just a 110 power, normal A19 type light bulb socket. Those bulbs shouldn't need a 220 socket to run properly.
And I definately would not be paralleling your two outlets circuits together. Sounds like a recipe for a good Smores roasting.
Haha I'm picturing that in my head now. Just using one leg off a different circuit. Right, out of phase? Why are the 220 breakers on the same leg of the panel? I havrnt been an electrician for years but I'm just stoned and thinking about how and why....

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Here is why. Because the two legs of the busbar's alternate in the breaker grid. The 220 double breakers are on the same side of the panel, and the alternating bus connections force the 220 breaker to be installed correctly.
Here's a good pic that shows.
View attachment 20260
Smart bastards. So ya got a 50/50 chance at getting the other "leg" of your makeshift 220 by junping off a 120 outlet nearby.
Is that about right?
Still possible! Depends how daring ya are! I've been touched a few too many times haha

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Yeah, heh, at $9 dollars for a three pack of bulbs, It was more something just to mess around with. I can pick up a few more, correct voltage for almost the same price if I really want to use the UV and zapper, Otherwise some wlmrt LED's for about the same price will be a better and safer option for just the additional light source to replace the quickly failing CFL's. Im only running 4-8 , 13W daylight CFL's bulbs for cuts and seedlings.

There is an 2ft- 8 bulb T-5 below for moms or veg.

The whole LED aspect is new to me. I'm just learning, and am so happy to have met some people here who have actual knowledge and experience with the most up to date info and hands on experience.
Thanks guys. :)