My Autoflower & Piff haze -semi auto’s Grow Journal

Bobberr

Really Active Member
Breeder
Piff is a memory of many New Yorkers, Massachusetts, Connecticut, down to Florida cannabis lovers. A powerhouse Haze variety of some incense like musty basement variety that had a limitless ceiling. It was my favorite high that could leave you stopped at green lights. The actual lineage NL5 x HazeA to my understanding
while many cuts in the community are floating around for high prices they don’t seem to have the high I remember and loved. Together @High kev and myself have chased down every cut we could get our hands on along with seeds from many different breeders.
we have searched expressions of many haze varieties and we found some really close expressions from what we were seeking but not where we thought we would find them.

Bobberr

Really Active Member
Breeder
This bandaid haze we crossed with Bobberr berry I finally tasted from someone who grew them out locally and I’ve never tasted anything like it. It’s my new favorite. Tonight I’m popping some beans to see what it takes to find that expression again. I have lots of questions to the grower who gifted some flower back to my brother who gave them the beans from me. I don’t know the details yet but I will let you know what I learn.

Bobberr

Really Active Member
Breeder
Back to my Autoflower topic I like to start them directly in the pots, although you can soak the seeds and crack them-
I’ve had most successful germination directly in soil.
Lowryder #1 is a cool plant bred from runts that make them a great breading variety. They carry recessive traits so any crosses made from it usually favor the dominant photoperiod or dominant Autoflower if your breeding Auto to auto. Lowryder does not stand out in the majority of the new expressions but can actually make improvements to other already autoflower genetics unexpectedly.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
Back to my Autoflower topic I like to start them directly in the pots, although you can soak the seeds and crack them-
I’ve had most successful germination directly in soil.
Lowryder #1 is a cool plant bred from runts that make them a great breading variety. They carry recessive traits so any crosses made from it usually favor the dominant photoperiod or dominant Autoflower if your breeding Auto to auto. Lowryder does not stand out in the majority of the new expressions but can actually make improvements to other already autoflower genetics unexpectedly.
i've already made crosses with bobberr berrie [dice pack]xwhite widow and seed from bruce banner they will be first to drop come spring.the wwand bb are of ilgm stock i know they need more work hopeing the back cross will help in that dept.

Last edited by a moderator:

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Stopping at green lights. lmao been there before. How fast do they finish with the semi auto gene? Do you think they would finish outside in NY?
me i'am all ears! what is this piff?
Piff is New York City haze. People eventually started calling it “piff”. Not sure why. But it’s a certain strain that used to flow through this area heavily. It was king for many years till sour diesel dethroned it.

Bobberr

Really Active Member
Breeder
Soil and autoflowers

something I discovered after a few successful autoflower grows, I started toying with making my own soil. I bought peat moss from home D and perlite and even mixed microbes in, I followed some online guides but quickly discovered this was a bad idea. I made some mistakes with making my own soil, this was not something I was ready for though it seemed like a very tempting way to save money.

some things I did wrong:

1. I remember I never flushed the perlite
2. Never sterilized the peat moss

Problems I discovered:
Flower that didn’t burn
Bad taste- sometimes like tobacco
LED lights seem to want more calmag than MH and HPS

A Simple Easy Grow

promix mixed with Natures living soil super soil for autoflower does the brunt of the feeding you’ll need
Your going to want to make sure your promix is hydrated but not soaked to a bowling ball.

I start watering to keep the soil moist around where the seed is sprouting but careful not to soak the whole pot. The first days are important so a light fan and the lights not to far they will come up strong.

if you start to see some deficiencies like rust spots you can make some adjustments to keep them happy.

I top water only long enough to get the plant a couple sets of leaves then all the water I soak into the plant from the bottom in a flood table, so I don’t water through it, common for soils that dry up as much as promix does.

Your first 3 weeks is amazing. Auto’s start slow then all at once, “as long as there has been no stunting”
They can reach good heights.
Cannabis is very drought resistance and limiting water can keep auto’s very short for bonsai solo cup growing

-personally would like to start toying with making my own super soil “but I failed making potting soil”

-also building till free living soil gardens

Bobberr

Really Active Member
Breeder
Cloning autoflower:

No you can’t: “yes you can”

yes you can -but why..!

-one reason is to split a certain expressions and pollinate that expression of that variety with other varieties.
so you can make sour diesel fem cloned and take the clone hit it with pollen A, and the mother with pollen B
You can save some time like this breeding. My experience was the clones growth was very limited and no stretch when it went into flowering but rooted and flowering with no issues, seeds maturing.
timing is likely important here.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
-personally would like to start toying with making my own super soil “but I failed making potting soil”

The Take-n-bake kits from build-a-soil are a good value and a good starting point. It's self contained, you get all the parts to mix together, soak it, and let it dry out for 2 weeks (no green stuff in there to make you wait for it to decay). Worked out to 70gallons of soil for $300. Not cheap, but comparable to the $25 12/qt bags of FFOF.

It has everything but the worms, and having a worm bin is part of that game. Cheaper to start on the worm bin first since you can incorporate that into any soil grow. But after the 70g you buy you are constantly adding to it with compost, mulch, etc. so the volume goes up over time.

m4s73r

The Laziest
Soil and autoflowers

something I discovered after a few successful autoflower grows, I started toying with making my own soil. I bought peat moss from home D and perlite and even mixed microbes in, I followed some online guides but quickly discovered this was a bad idea. I made some mistakes with making my own soil, this was not something I was ready for though it seemed like a very tempting way to save money.

some things I did wrong:

1. I remember I never flushed the perlite
2. Never sterilized the peat moss

Problems I discovered:
Flower that didn’t burn
Bad taste- sometimes like tobacco
LED lights seem to want more calmag than MH and HPS

A Simple Easy Grow

promix mixed with Natures living soil super soil for autoflower does the brunt of the feeding you’ll need
Your going to want to make sure your promix is hydrated but not soaked to a bowling ball.

I start watering to keep the soil moist around where the seed is sprouting but careful not to soak the whole pot. The first days are important so a light fan and the lights not to far they will come up strong.

if you start to see some deficiencies like rust spots you can make some adjustments to keep them happy.

I top water only long enough to get the plant a couple sets of leaves then all the water I soak into the plant from the bottom in a flood table, so I don’t water through it, common for soils that dry up as much as promix does.

Your first 3 weeks is amazing. Auto’s start slow then all at once, “as long as there has been no stunting”
They can reach good heights.
Cannabis is very drought resistance and limiting water can keep auto’s very short for bonsai solo cup growing

7 years mixing soil and I have never sterilized peat moss or flushed perlite. Based on what you wrote, you forgot some compost.

If you mixed promix with Natures living soil, then you changed the ratio of peat:compost:perlite. Your mix with promix and perlite was fine, just missed the compost and amendments.

To not water through your soil, slow it down and use a whetting agent.

When watering, only water 5% water to soil volume. In living soil were looking to moisten, not drench

You dont want to water from the bottom up. With watering down the water helps pull air down into the root zone. Watering from the base up will cause over watering issues.

Bobberr

Really Active Member
Breeder
I did forget to mention the worm castings I used and super soil from Natures living soil when making my own soil.
Then once I went back to pro mix and super soil, I had no more issues. “Bugs-tobacco tasting weed-fireproof weed…. As far as bottom feeding I don’t have overwatering issues, not with the fabric pots I use anyway.
Just a convenient way for me to water many plants together.
im down to try again but my indoor space is booked with projects and making soil will have to wait till spring for me likely.
I got gnats from the home brew soil and I never had to deal with bugs before this trial with the promix and SS
So I’m not sure what I failed at but it didn’t work out for me so some things are just worth paying more in my experience..

I’m sure the right ingredients can make all the difference but for what I’m doing at the moment
Is good.

I just wanted to share my experiences and I love hearing others too :)