Mutations, seedlings came up mutated?

POhippie

New member sorta anyway wasn't sure where to post this or if I should post this but started 3 super skunks and a week later started a ice cream cake bagseed, all 3 super skunks came up mutated the first put up it's first leaves and never grew true leaves at all I already pulled it the second finally developed true leaves but doesn't look like it's putting on a second set ever and the leaves fucked up, third one same jacked up leaves but seems like it's growing better, and the ICC came up fine but with 3 sets of first leaves and 3 true leaves and seems to be growing 3 more on the next, think its worled photaxyle or whatever or some version of it, started in 20230429_095733.jpg20230429_095750.jpg20230429_095757.jpg20230429_095733.jpg20230429_095733.jpgsolo cup size pots with mother earth soil under a MH 1000 planned to go to 30 days and transplant outdoors and see how they do

Attachments

Seeds store very little calcium, some seedling can twist and curl right out the gate. Add a little calcium to your dirt. If the medium is already wet, spray something high in ca on them, this should straighten them.

Whorled phylotaxy is pretty common. A vast majority of them grow out of it. Usually the main stem stays whorled a while but side shoots grow normally. They also have a higher chance of being male.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Whorled phylotaxy is pretty common. A vast majority of them grow out of it. Usually the main stem stays whorled a while but side shoots grow normally. They also have a higher chance of being male.
Odd that everything in this I have experienced - opposite LOL. I had a few runs in a row of random genetics and there was a triploid in each tent constantly, all female. Some started as seedlings, some tossed them out later on the main stem, a few has it only on side limbs.

Then I had a run where there was always a plant with buds on the leaves. Again, not a specific strain or anything, just random.

Now it's been a few months and everything's been normal. I wonder if it's seasonal? LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If they keep the whorled phylotaxy through the grow and are girls, the main drawback is you'll have three slightly smaller nugs rather than two bigger ones. second is that if you have a sketchy environment they can get crowded and airflow can be a problem.

POhippie

Seeds store very little calcium, some seedling can twist and curl right out the gate. Add a little calcium to your dirt. If the medium is already wet, spray something high in ca on them, this should straighten them.

Thanks I've never had anything other than the whorled phylotaxy before I don't have cal mag I do have some foxfarm trio will have to look and see if it has calcium maybe I can mix a small amount in a spray bottle and do a foliar feed?

POhippie

Odd that everything in this I have experienced - opposite LOL. I had a few runs in a row of random genetics and there was a triploid in each tent constantly, all female. Some started as seedlings, some tossed them out later on the main stem, a few has it only on side limbs.

Then I had a run where there was always a plant with buds on the leaves. Again, not a specific strain or anything, just random.

Now it's been a few months and everything's been normal. I wonder if it's seasonal? LOL
If the tri sets continue all the way and it's female do you think it will do better outdoors seeing as it should have 50% more branching?? More branches = more buds?

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
They aren't as common as they say imo.. The last one I had recently was a self topping,triploid...
What I noticed compared to others in same tent, the triploid veggd slower, other mutations like leaf variegation, and as much as I wanna disagree with new member, mine turned to b male... lol
So who knows, just my last experience with this... Got a couple pics if u wanna see my experience...
Just my opinion
Thx

POhippie

They aren't as common as they say imo.. The last one I had recently was a self topping,triploid...
What I noticed compared to others in same tent, the triploid veggd slower, other mutations like leaf variegation, and as much as I wanna disagree with new member, mine turned to b male... lol
So who knows, just my last experience with this... Got a couple pics if u wanna see my experience...
Just my opinion
Thx
Would love to see your mutated seedlings 😁, and could be male truth is I got about 5 seeds out of a QP of ice cream cake so idk if it's a self from a hermie or accidental pollination but as expensive as seeds are I save all my bagseeds to plant and the last time I had a 3 set was when I planted seeds from old Reggie it seemed common then but last decade or so I haven't seen it but what's got me worried isn't the ICC it's the 3 super skunks I had 1 didn't make any try leaves at all just popped up 2 first leaves never tried Making its first set of true leaves I pulled it already so no pic and the other made 2 true leaves but don't see another set and the other looks like it's Frankensteins cousin another member commented and said calcium deficiency so I'm gonna try a foliar feed I don't have cal mag tho

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If the tri sets continue all the way and it's female do you think it will do better outdoors seeing as it should have 50% more branching?? More branches = more buds?
That would depend on the structure AFTER is starts branching. If they are stubby little flower sites then it'll b e a crowded PM mess. If it has limbs that are clone-worthy and there's some node-spacing then it'll be a shrub

They aren't as common as they say imo
Yeah, I meant relative to other oddballs, these are one of the most common one hehe.
I go through a bunch of seeds yearly and don't find them by the dozen either 😉

as much as I wanna disagree with new member, mine turned to b male
Well, sure many will be females.. whorled phylotaxy is well documented, in the literature it's said the phenomenon is more common in males. Not to say getting 3 females in a row can't happen..