Mikado

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I got some free Mikado seeds in a recent order, anyone have any info or experience with this cultivar, I'm not finding a whole lot of info.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
Was sold by Federation seeds , quick flowering indica, revived by Hazeman.

Some grapefruit in there and some may have semi auto / quick flower traits. I got some as freebies somewhere along the line but they are, perhaps unfairly, in the "probably never going to try them" seed stash box.

I think they only get people high if they still have a mullet or wear balloon pants. Maybe a white guy perm would work too.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Anyway. I have finally started growing these. They seem to be semi-autoflowers, except for the first few weeks they have been under 18/6 light but both my 2 males already have mature pollen sacs and 2 of the 4 females look like they have started flowering. I've got all 6 in a tent right now and I am doing my first pollen chuck!

Stoned Cold Bulldog

I've found one site: https://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Mikado/Hazeman_Seeds/
There are a few others but the content is basically identical.
if u have description info, what else do you want to know ?
If you ask google like it’s human you can get better results. Particularly when you put in your search query in various ways, use quotes, use + symbols etc etc
if I want more grow info you have to ask for it dude. It’s not a mind reader.
I used to find all the info folks wanted but it was using up my energy while they sat back in comfort like spoiled kids waiting to get the next thing they wanted handed to them.
Before google existed, I was the human google band it took awhile for me to stop 🛑 and now I always tell folks to ask google like I instructed u. Learning various search methods will help you forever 👂

Stoned Cold Bulldog

Was sold by Federation seeds , quick flowering indica, revived by Hazeman.

Some grapefruit in there and some may have semi auto / quick flower traits. I got some as freebies somewhere along the line but they are, perhaps unfairly, in the "probably never going to try them" seed stash box.

I think they only get people high if they still have a mullet or wear balloon pants. Maybe a white guy perm would work too.
Donate the seeds in the never going to try box to a couple veteran organizations helping veterans grow their own. this site via Instagram can show you others and u choose however u want too 👂

indo00420

indo Lion
Anyway. I have finally started growing these. They seem to be semi-autoflowers, except for the first few weeks they have been under 18/6 light but both my 2 males already have mature pollen sacs and 2 of the 4 females look like they have started flowering. I've got all 6 in a tent right now and I am doing my first pollen chuck!
I grew Federations back in the day, like ‘99.. Nice indica. I remember driving down to TO every weekend to check if the seeds had come in. The Federation line had raspberry and some grapefruit terps. I kept her around until the Sweet Tooth#3 showed up, pure grapefruit there.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Donate the seeds in the never going to try box to a couple veteran organizations helping veterans grow their own. this site via Instagram can show you others and u choose however u want too 👂

This link/site is temp closed it says requests have outpaced seeds and funding I'd be hip to donate to this organization hopefully it will reopen soon...

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This link/site is temp closed it says requests have outpaced seeds and funding I'd be hip to donate to this organization hopefully it will reopen soon...
I don't know what is going on with them. They have been posting again so I sent him a message on IG telling him I have a bunch of seeds I'd like to donate. He asked about one of the strains I offered and, when I replied, I got an automatic reply saying to email him instead of using messenger in IG...so I emailed him a few days ago, told him I have 300 seeds ready to send to him and just need the address to mail them to, and he hasn't replied to that email yet. You'd think he'd be all over that.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Here are some photos from my Mikado open pollination. The males were removed a few weeks ago, the females are about 40 days into flower. Growing in a 2x4' tent under a single Mars Hydro SP3000. The tent is in an unheated house; the only extra heat source besides the light are some small heat mats under the pots.

Attachments

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
So I decided to harvest the Mikado grow. They have been in flower since end of November which would make them about 64 days old and they are only supposed to need about 46 days to flower. I mostly neglected this grow. They rarely got a fed any nutrients, mostly just straight water (not even always Ph corrected), but the cocoa was recycles and might have had some residual nutrients left over. That being said, this was an interesting experience and each of the plants turned out quite different. Also a reminder these have been flowering in the mid 40s F...

The rest is mostly for my record but incase people are interested...

Out of the 4 plants, 3 turned purple, 1 stayed entirely green. 2 of the plants were short with hard stems and two were tall with hollow stems. Hopefully there is enough flower for me to sample some smoke so I have some chemotype info to supplement my notes before I grow this strain for real.

Plant #1:
This one got a dried out and crispy for some reason. I am not sure if it was too close to the space heater (when I briefly used one) or if it was too close the exhaust vent, either way, it flowered out fairly nicely and is loaded with mature seeds. As for aroma, it has a very fresh smell, not super fruity, more like a cucumber or honeydew melon. This was one of the short hard-stemmed plants.
IMG_20220126_024138.jpgIMG_20220126_024304.jpg

Plant #2
This is the plant that stayed green despite the non-stop cold temps. I wonder if this pheno is not a semi-auto. It was also a short and hard stemmed plant. Similar fresh smell to plant 1.
IMG_20220126_024401.jpg
IMG_20220126_024512.jpg

Plant 3
This one smells like bubblegum and is much more pungent than the plants 1 and 2. It was a tall growing plant with hollow stem. Clearly this one turned purple over time.
IMG_20220126_024801.jpgIMG_20220126_024825.jpg

Plant 4
Pretty much identical to plant 3 but this one still seemed like it could keep on flowering as it was still pumping out dense white hairs. But, this grow was for seed so I don't care about growing it any longer.
IMG_20220126_024924.jpg
IMG_20220126_025021.jpg

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Took a dozen seeds from each plant and got them germinating. Because the mothers grew in such low temps I wasn't sure how viable these seeds would be; some of them seemed fairly small.

IMG_20220422_213344.jpg

Few days later, got 100% germination from the seeds from 2 of the plants, and about 40-50% with the others. I am going to let them go another day or two and see how many more germinate.
IMG_20220424_224905.jpg

Starting seedlings takes forever!
IMG_20220425_131625.jpg

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Two Hazemans Mikado phenos I grew out last year explosive grapefruit peel terps
Was the outdoor grapefruit as well? That outdoor pic reminded me of the super grapefruit pheno I had from indoor. Your indoor pic looks really nice too. Makes me excited to grow this for real this time and not just for seeds.

How did you enjoy the strain?

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Was the outdoor grapefruit as well? That outdoor pic reminded me of the super grapefruit pheno I had from indoor. Your indoor pic looks really nice too. Makes me excited to grow this for real this time and not just for seeds.

How did you enjoy the strain?
We used to get Mikado way back in the 80s and 90s. My friend had a connection for it (outdoors) and had it every labor day weekend over that period. They called it the Jap short for Japanese indica hence Mikado name is linked to the Japanese royalty. The last batch I got of it had a catepiller stuck to it and was covered tricomes with the grapefruit terps. We really enjoyed it. Breeder Steve developed this from what I read. spice of life -> Federation (Marc Emory saga) then to Switzerland and I think Kyle Kushman was involved for a period.

Hazeman has crossed it to a lot of strains to it (probably for the quick finishing traits) and the two I grew out were dead ringers. I think it's a better suited outdoor strain. The one I grew outdoors was kind of airy due to being neglected but still performed better than imagined if I went all out. Indoor came out super frosty stinky but the bud finishers/hardeners I used made for smaller compact nugs.

IG

Hazemans Dream Weaver, Fat Marty, Rocky Mountain are on my radar and the stardawg blue dream freebie I got was really nice.

Last edited:

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
When trying to track down the mikado seeds I did a lot of research. Hazeman and Reboman had genetics closet to Federation and ended up getting Hazeman when they were back in stock.

Not be be long winded this info I had collected from a lot of old forums and reposting in its entirety non edited what I felt was the most pertinent to the back story of it. Remember this was in the Black Market days so of course people were way different able their protecting their work

Background from breeder Steve

I had pretty much sworn off the business due to the prevalence of knockoffs. It was easy for them, I gave anybody clones of my favourite plants and likely still will. I firmly believe that there will never be too much high quality cannabis in this world, and that there is already way too much shit.

I told Marc after numerous business ethical conflicts, e.g. Say "Sold Out" when a popular seed is unavailable; do not advertise to sell what you don't have. People were ordering Spice and receiving replacements, or deceived, not cool. I was and am still friends with many of Marc's employees and was often shocked at what goes on. Still am. I put together and made popular a brand name Shishkeberry, which achieved much acclaim.

One of Marc's ex-employees that came to work for one of my businesses actually stole two shipments of my seeds before he quit the shop and now kicks back making a tidy living as Cash Crop Ken. He wrote up what he thinks he knows about them, and together with his fence, Marc Emery, exploit the name Shishkeberry that I developed and popularised. In a civilized country I could successfully sue them, but in the cesspool of Marc Emery's current seed scene acts like this are everyday business.

Take for instance some of his employees working for shit wages and growing some good grass in their basement, thanks to clones from me they finally could actually get high from what they grew. These desperate boys are calling themselves Federation Seed Co. Let me set the record straight: Cotton Candy = Sweet Tooth, Island Sweet Skunk = Sweet Skunk, Mikado = Sweet Pink Grapefruit.

These are popular clones I've named and let loose. They claim to have developed them "over the years". Flash-in-the-pan seed company might have been a more appropriate name; they've already crumbled due to a combination of incompetence and shame. Just having my clones does not mean they know how to produce accurate seeds of them when they attempt to reproduce them "over the years" I had long ago told Marc when he asked, that I was not interested in doing knockoffs of others' work, in name or substance.

I claim what the heritage is of my seeds, to give respect and credit to our predecessors, but I develop something original. Marc was also fairly informed that if he began selling knockoffs of my work I would never, ever, ever sell him seeds again. I laugh at him now when he says, "Well, not everyone wants the knockoffs. Sell me more seeds, I'll pay cash." The last deal we made was I erase his crushing debt and he gives Spice of Life free ads for life. He has cancelled that deal as well, but I don't feel too bad writing it off anyway because it's for the cause.

Breeder Steve

To avoid confusion, until further notice, doubt the authenticity of anyone selling Spice of Life Strains except the Amsterdam Café, legendsseeds.com, and seedbank.to. We appreciate it when you bring fraudulent seed dealers to our attention. The Spice of Life name has been synonymous with quality for the last five years and I will not abide its abuse by poseurs. I'm very happy to be back at work now and look forward to bringing you the best I can. As for the price increase the truth is that the cost (and scope) of my experiments have grown incredibly, believe me when I tell you that up until now and still I have not made any money in breeding, it has been an expensive hobby.

However it is my passion and I do what I have to do to afford it. Lots of people aren't in it for the money and I can appreciate that, however I would love to be able to spend ten million on a state of the art facility, a monument to cannabis in a stable country. It would be a dream playground for the committed into the future, don't you think? Working to improve plants by cultivating and collecting plants from seed is a noble calling, greetings to all who ever did so with integrity.

Sinserely Steve

More info

The legendary Sweet Pink Grapefruit clone from British Columbia, discovered by Breeder Steve, out crossed to the Blueberry Sugar Daddy and then BXed three times. Famous for her very amazing aroma and bag appeal as well as a very good yield if dialed in properly, the main goal with the Sweet Pink Grapefruit BX line was to stabilize these desirable traits of the original clone. Overall the plants are easy to grow, but prefer a low humidity during the late flowering phase, as the buds become fat enough for mold to be of concern. Whether the Sweet Pink Grapefruit BX is an exceptional commercial strain or private head stash is for you to decide.

Sweet Pink Grapefruit originates from around Vancouver in Canada. It has existed in cutting form around there for over 35 years and although the exact genetics are unknown there is still a lot of speculation. The most likely story is that the Sweet Pink Grapefruit is a specially selected Northern Lights #1 phenotype, noted for its special flavour. Sweet Pink Grapefruit is well known in her role as the mother plant in the Sweet Tooth family created by Spice of Life Seeds and Breeder Steve. For many years this clone only strain disappeared in Switzerland but a few growers had secured these excellent genetics. Alpine Seeds have now decided to revive this little legend and make it available for commerical sale. The special features of these genetics is undoubtedly the smell, flavour and quality of the final product. It produces such an intense, exotic, sweet taste found only very rarely in other strains. One can see from exactly where the Sweet Tooth gets its flavour. Sweet Pink Grapefruit produces good average yields with a high resin content and good potency, which all help to complement this strain as an elite clone. The dense buds are not too hard, under lights they mature in 62-68 days and at an early stage give off that special flavour. The strong root formation and structure of the buds points to a clear relationship with Afghani genetics. However the leaf and vegetative growth stage show marked similarities with properties which are often found as characteristic of sativas. Sweet Pink Grapefruit is produced by a self-pollination of this clone-only Strain. It is very hard to feminize and to force male flower production on the female plant. The breeders use a new self-fertilizing technique with a new chemical to produce a lot of male flowers which contains potent pollen. Feminized S1 Seeds are very close to the original Sweet Pink Grapefruit Clone. Smell, taste, the buzz and the whole plant are similar to the original cutting and show the same unique traits.

Reboman had good reviews posted on his dealings and has worked on the line for a while it's worth checking out his pictures and what he documents on the traits. Seems the traits you want to look for are the narrow single and triple leaves in the top areas.

MIKADO Old school Heirloom $45.00 ** (13 +) regulars °°°° LINEAGE:
Old FEDERATION Gear line Fortunate to have acquired the (real deal) 'MIKADO' ,few years back from a Collector in Quebec. Ran them in SoCal w/ Totally Bomb results! Old school Northern gear tested several seasons. Super Vigor, super adaptable, exceptionally fast impressive plants.! Quality , bragable buds. A rare beauty , to have had the pleasure,,,, ***** MIKADO Heirloom 90%/10% sativa. FAST FINISH:

September (SoCal 33°latitude)
Fast strong Vigorous ,, NOTE: female plants show pistols early & many have pink pistols. Dark OLIVE Green leaves are distinctive,' Sharp' Pointed Long , SUPER JAGGED LEAVES Flowers have orange hair, and buds get thick quick & really
frost up! An Excellent Fun plant !! Good Relaxing Smoke.
Various Aromatic profiles : spicy tones, sweet & pungent . Interesting aroma. Flavor : heavy smooth smoke. EFFECT: Mellow, Long Lasting , Mind Easing.

°° The plant is impressive, distinctive & unique.
A total worth while QUALITY GEM, in all matter of ways !! →° One of the fastest regular photo strains. Great to keep this strain preserved, and breeding projects. No regrets guaranteed. Thanks ,, ReBoMaN