MERV-13 High Flow Intake Filters

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
There are a lot of intake filters designed for growing, but I have found a lot of of them to be very restrictive due to their filter design and shape. What I am currently using for my main intake is an 8" MERV-13 filter box from HVACQuick. It's bulky, but that's part of the reason why it works so well. It houses a massive pleated filter 18 x 18 inches by FOUR inches thick that allows much more airflow than most cannister type filters, with tapered cones that widen the airflow to a much larger area before passing through the filter. This same design is available in 6 to 12 inch sizes. If you have the space for one of these, I can't recommend them highly enough. They are made from aluminum and are very light, and can be hung with a few wires.

Model CFB-8
IMG_0388[1].jpg

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
I have one of their 6" boxes as well, which blows the doors off of Fantech's 6" MERV13 inline filter box, which can only handle 176 cfm (closer to 140 according to a tech in the Q&A section at HVACQuick). The CFB-6 is rated for 310-440 cfm with the MERV 13 filter, and up to 660 with a less restrictive filter. The 6" box uses a 14" x 14" x 4" filter. These are also much MUCH quieter....no annoying roar.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I'm not balling like that. Never saw these. I just use a 12 x12 intake filter box and merv 13 filters. Does limit flow a bit it seems.