Mechanical Timers

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I have a couple mechanical timers and was surprised to see that neither of them actually turn off the power when the switch off. I was going to flip some plants and decided to make sure I had the light set properly. When I looked in the tent to make sure it was off I noticed a little glow. When the switch is on it measures 120V AC, but when it is off it measured 26V AC not zero. I tried the other timer and it measured 16V AC. Argh! Do all mechanical timers work this way or are these two broken? Should I be using a different timer?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I have a couple mechanical timers and was surprised to see that neither of them actually turn off the power when the switch off. I was going to flip some plants and decided to make sure I had the light set properly. When I looked in the tent to make sure it was off I noticed a little glow. When the switch is on it measures 120V AC, but when it is off it measured 26V AC not zero. I tried the other timer and it measured 16V AC. Argh! Do all mechanical timers work this way or are these two broken? Should I be using a different timer?
Pics?

baldmountain

Super Active Member
The issue isn't that it's using juice all the time. The issue that it is feeding power to my light all the time. 120V when on and 26v when off. This keeps the LEDs glowing when I think they are off.

The actual issue is that the hot and neutral (black and white) wires to the socket I had the timer plugged into were reversed. Once I changed them around the light goes fully off. I can't get mad at anyone since I'm the one that did the wiring. :(

Vee

Ancient Member
Replace it..... I replace mine yearly
to the point I now have most elec shit in my house running on old timers ..lol

good luck

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I have seen a couple timers from hardware store melt and one caught on fire and luckily I was home and heard smoke detector .... I am very nervous using generic timers ....
Yeah, the ones I got from the hardware are too fast. I have to set them back ten minutes every couple weeks if I want my light schedule to remain the same