Meanwell HLG-320 Teardown

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Has anyone in here attempted to take apart one of these "outdoor" drivers.
I have 3 Meanwells that no longer work and I am trying to figure out what is wrong with them. It looks like it will take an "act of god" to get to the heart of the driver. Covered in this black rubber.
Any help would be appreciated.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Has anyone in here attempted to take apart one of these "outdoor" drivers.
I have 3 Meanwells that no longer work and I am trying to figure out what is wrong with them. It looks like it will take an "act of god" to get to the heart of the driver. Covered in this black rubber.
Any help would be appreciated.
I have no experience at all but maybe this can help you or steer you in the right direction, there are other videos aswell I don’t know exactly what driver you have

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have no experience at all but maybe this can help you or steer you in the right direction, there are other videos aswell I don’t know exactly what driver you have
I watched this one. That thing is coated with a rubber sealant. It was like they put everything in the outer case and spray or pour this rubber sealant to the top and put the lid on. This guy had it apart and never showed that part. Was hoping there was a thin film of something to separate the components from it. I'm still trying to car around the inside of the case. It goes all the way around . lol
That is a Constant Voltage(CV) I am working on a Constant Current(CC) 320-A series with the built in potentiometer.
Not sure how different the guts are between the 2.
I have lost 3 Meanwells to this same problem,
but have lost 0 of my 5 year old Vero29's COBs.
They are workhorses now. lol

Streetpro09

Tester
I watched this one. That thing is coated with a rubber sealant. It was like they put everything in the outer case and spray or pour this rubber sealant to the top and put the lid on. This guy had it apart and never showed that part. Was hoping there was a thin film of something to separate the components from it. I'm still trying to car around the inside of the case. It goes all the way around . lol
That is a Constant Voltage(CV) I am working on a Constant Current(CC) 320-A series with the built in potentiometer.
Not sure how different the guts are between the 2.
I have lost 3 Meanwells to this same problem,
but have lost 0 of my 5 year old Vero29's COBs.
They are workhorses now. lol
I wonder if you can put it in an oven, upside down, and melt that shit outta there.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
They sure as hell didn't want anyone digging into one of these. lol
It's prolly something simple and they could drill through at the right spot and fix whatever it is.
After taking the top off, there is a tiny bit of discoloration(electrical burn mark) middle ways down the outside edge. Looks like between the 2 rectifiers.

Streetpro09

Tester
They sure as hell didn't want anyone digging into one of these. lol
It's prolly something simple and they could drill through at the right spot and fix whatever it is.
After taking the top off, there is a tiny bit of discoloration(electrical burn mark) middle ways down the outside edge. Looks like between the 2 rectifiers.
My guess is they are throw away units. Have you seen them for sale refurbished?

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Its silicone based, I think, for Ip rating and diaelectric activity, the black rubber.
Did you try asking for replacements, some of the meanwell distributors are good about this.....

Other than that, capacitors going to the rectifier, could be replaceable, maybe, but if the rectifier is smoked, thats the whole circuit practically....

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
I would never dream of actually doing it. With my luck it would burst into flames. 🤣😂
Its just nasty stuff, not that I doubt anyone's ability! Voc's and silicosis causing materials at the least.....😆
Taking it out cold and with other less nasty removers ie pfc's is possible....ie brake cleaner types that can work around electronics....none of it sounds pleasant unfortunately....

Streetpro09

Tester
Its just nasty stuff, not that I doubt anyone's ability! Voc's and silicosis causing materials at the least.....😆
Taking it out cold and with other less nasty removers ie pfc's is possible....ie brake cleaner types that can work around electronics....none of it sounds pleasant unfortunately....
Maybe like a parts cleaner bath, from your local auto parts store? Or carb dip
876B5452-E0F6-46C1-84CE-6624850230E8.png

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I think I located a hot spot. (Got the rubber from the bottom exposing the green board where the pins come through. There is 1 gold strip on the whole bottom of board. It has burnt pretty much through. Looks like some kind of safety strip if the driver gets to hot. It makes that weak link.
I'm gonna play around with the multimeter and see. I wished I knew more about them. There is no info on these types of Meanwell drivers. Not sure if mine is the same under that rubber that the 48volt unit is.