Managing a Mother

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I have a plant I'd like to save as a mother. How do I manage it? How big a pot? How big do I let it get? How often do I take clones? Where on the plant do I take clones? Top, bottom middle of all over? I know how to take a clone, but not how to keep the mother long term.

D

Deleted member 60

I haven't cloned or kept moms in years....but I used to use a 2 gal pot.....and treat it like any other veg plant. When I first started keeping moms (pre internet/easy to find info) I was a new grower and was learning how to clone successfully via trial and error....so I had 3 moms at the onset. I took clones off them/let them resprout for a year.....not really knowing/understanding @ the time that I could simply start a new "mom" and keep going on.... so I noobishly let them get woody and damn near lost the entire show. After that I restarted/kept moms for a few years longer but eventually needed the space to meet demands....so I just did the perpetual gig of taking cuts from veggers...waiting til they rooted...then flowering the 'moms"....rinse repeat. As long as you have roots on yer next gig you are good to go..and go..and go. I took cuts all over...anything that was flexible/growing well. Meristem clones can also be fun and you can improve structure by picking/taking good cuts and running with those for future stock.

So in short....and IMO....if you keep moms.....rotate in nice cuts from that stock and keep things fluid/vigorous rather than trying to hold on to your moms for too long. In addition....if you have fought any type of bugs in your room...it would be wise to seperate your mom from the herd.

And lastly.....if you have a special cut and a good friend you can trust...set up a back up. A LOT of good stock has been lost along the way by folks I know/knew @ one time who were stingy fucks who then watched KARMA rail back and fuck their game hard as they lost their special stock to one of the many ills growers can face.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
And lastly.....if you have a special cut and a good friend you can trust...set up a back up. A LOT of good stock has been lost along the way by folks I know/knew @ one time who were stingy fucks who then watched KARMA rail back and fuck their game hard as they lost their special stock to one of the many ills growers can face.
Been there, done that, and it sucks. I wasnt stingy though, just dont know anyone else who grows to give a clone too.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
You can keep them just about any size pot. It depends what your goal is. If you want to take a lot of cuts monthly. Your going to have to keep a big mom. If you just want to preserve genetics you can go small. And even graft. I’m trying to reduce plant counts.
Hears a mom in 1L about 7 strains on one plant. I just root pruned yesterday and put them in a 3/4gal. Pot. She is strong. Flexing that shishkabob.
48317B8F-2F56-43C1-8FA0-2A385C610817.png

You can keep them just about any size pot. It depends what your goal is. If you want to take a lot of cuts monthly. Your going to have to keep a big mom. If you just want to preserve genetics you can go small. And even graft. I’m trying to reduce plant counts.
Hears a mom in 1L about 7 strains on one plant. I just root pruned yesterday and put them in a 3/4gal. Pot. She is strong. Flexing that shishkabob.
View attachment 82641
Holy cow!
I was wondering if a 50/50 were possible, let alone a 7in1

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
That is awesome Turpman!
How long did the grafting process take you?
How many did you graft at a time?

Keeping a mom is easy. Just keep her with as many potential cuts as you want and trim as needed. If I can do for a year and a half it should be an breeze for you.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That is awesome Turpman!
How long did the grafting process take you?
How many did you graft at a time?

Keeping a mom is easy. Just keep her with as many potential cuts as you want and trim as needed. If I can do for a year and a half it should be an breeze for you.
I just wonder what the hell you clone guys do with all your beans... 😂

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I’ve done a couple at a time. Takes about 2 weeks of being bagged. Works like a clone. Need to keep high humidity around the graft till it heals.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I keep worrying about that one that got away LOL I just picked up some clone only to see what all the hubbub is about so that added to my clone hording. Looks good so far though. GG4, wedding cake, GMO and dosido. All but the GMO are about done. Cake is light but a frost monster. Dosi is a little better glue is putting out and GMO has some long dongs but could use a little more weight. Probly me causing it though.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I keep worrying about that one that got away LOL.
You are a pessimist.

I can't fathom the best one yet that I am missing by hanging on to old stuff. If it turns out it was that great, that starts the uproar for the progenitor of the strain to make more beans - then I'll buy them :)

Tyler333777

I haven't cloned or kept moms in years....but I used to use a 2 gal pot.....and treat it like any other veg plant. When I first started keeping moms (pre internet/easy to find info) I was a new grower and was learning how to clone successfully via trial and error....so I had 3 moms at the onset. I took clones off them/let them resprout for a year.....not really knowing/understanding @ the time that I could simply start a new "mom" and keep going on.... so I noobishly let them get woody and damn near lost the entire show. After that I restarted/kept moms for a few years longer but eventually needed the space to meet demands....so I just did the perpetual gig of taking cuts from veggers...waiting til they rooted...then flowering the 'moms"....rinse repeat. As long as you have roots on yer next gig you are good to go..and go..and go. I took cuts all over...anything that was flexible/growing well. Meristem clones can also be fun and you can improve structure by picking/taking good cuts and running with those for future stock.

So in short....and IMO....if you keep moms.....rotate in nice cuts from that stock and keep things fluid/vigorous rather than trying to hold on to your moms for too long. In addition....if you have fought any type of bugs in your room...it would be wise to seperate your mom from the herd.

Really great info man thanks so much.