Low Cost SIL Build

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
I got into building these over the last year or so after starting out with roleadro blurples and COBs. IMO, with the 15w units putting out over 100 lumens/watt before removing the globe, the efficiency is hard to beat with the cost per watt taken into account.

Can't see the LED's in this one, but a decent look at a SIL garden.

Spectrum and intensity can be easily adjusted and a dead light is screwed out and replaced in seconds with a cheap replacement. There's no fan noise and good heat dissipation. I've got these in all my grow spaces now.

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
Love it! How hot does that light get comparably with HID?
Thanks to you and anyone who left kind words.

I've never grown with HID, but the thermometer that sits on top of the main flowering fixture in the 3x3 grow tent(IE a few inches above the sockets) never gets above 34C and is usually a bit lower than that. There is a speed adjusted 6 inch duct fan pushing out the top of the tent and a small desk fan moving air beneath the canopy.
Down at root level it is usually ~25C. There is a DIY intake filter hooked up to 6" duct. The negative pressure provides good airflow.

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
How long did it take ya to build that sum bitch!!
Whats the sil stand for?
Welcome to PARADISE
Not long at all. Designing it in my wee brain was more difficult than building it in the real world. The unit in the first photo was built to cover a 2'x2' tent wall to wall. I also have something similar in a 3'x3', an 18"x30"x36", and a couple DIY cabinets. As is to be expected, each subsequent build went together faster and more efficiently.

Screw-In LED That seems to be kind of an agreed upon acronym among many of us geeks that grow with these.

Thank you, it seems like a pretty cool place so far. The regulars seem smart and friendly.

GCG

Dinosaur
Awesome to see just bought a bunch of bulbs to make something similar. Going to make a small veg one and another little one for clones. May also add a little side lighting with these. Love it. Welcome to paradise.
15768907062139144813454628929782.jpg

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
Awesome to see just bought a bunch of bulbs to make something similar. Going to make a small veg one and another little one for clones. May also add a little side lighting with these. Love it. Welcome to paradise.
View attachment 36995
Thank you. :)

One design note I found significant:
In the pictured build, the sockets are spaced out a little bit. In my experience, this is best for veg. For flowering rigs, I put the sockets touching each other. The overlap of the SIL's greatly increases intensity.

With the veg fixtures, very little headroom is needed, but the flowering ones need more or light burn and/or foxtailing can be an issue.

Approximate build cost:
wood for frame < $5
wiring and plug < $10
Sockets ~$2ea