Looking to automate

Bobby_Resigliano

Violence. Speed. Momentum.
I've been looking over a site that shows how to build fertigation, self draining saucers and an auto pumping drain bucket system for my tent. I'm going to write out of list of parts but wanted to see if you guys have any better ideas or sites to look at for all that. Is this as basic as it gets? Here are all the links to what I'm gonna build.

Fertigation:

Self draining saucers:

Auto pumping drain bucket:

Bobby_Resigliano

Been making my list of stuff to buy and researching the halo rings, they all seem to have horrible reviews saying they clog. Does anyone recommend any particular brand? Maybe 3D printed on Etsy but I cant find a damn thing. I've been looking at these:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Good luck to you.

I have a battery powered wall clock that automatically resets itself to the right time if you change the battery, or if it's daylight savings crap or whatever.

If they had something like that I could hook a mechanical timer up to that's about as automated as I want to be. I don't trust any of it - or me to program it 😂 🤷‍♂️

Salute @Bobby_Resigliano, I to have also been kicking around the idea of automating the watering on a tent(or 2 :rolleyes: ) and some of the low tech self watering offerings that are starting to pop up are looking really appealing because of how very little is needed in setting them up and keeping them dialed in. I am thinking on trying(when they come back in stock) a 4 pack of AC Infinity's Self Watering Fabric Pot stations and just do a grow with them and see how I like them. If they grow killer plants then I will see about maybe putting a AQUAvalve5in each of the 4 stations reservoir, and then connect them all with 3/8 irrigation tubing to a 50 gallon barrel outside the grow tent.

Good Luck with whatever way you end up choosing to go with, and please keep us posted and let us know how your results turn out. (y)

twobitbob

Super Active Member
I've been thinking about trying these tropf setups

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I use or have use all the auto stuff. I grow in a loft in a shop and lugging water up and then down is a huge pain.
I ran a RO line up to a stainless 10 gal container float controlled for fresh water.
And for run off, I use a cut off 5 gallon pail with a float and pump. Waste water goes outside to a big tank. I'm where it gets well below zero fore part of the year so I run the waste hose up high in the attic then down out to the tank. It auto drains to the tank and back to the bucket. Must have no spots where the water will sit or it freezes.
Same for my air to air heat exchanger to capture some heat. The moist air that goes out a 6" insulated vent hose will freeze when the air mover is not on. I had a bit of trouble getting the hose run up high then down to the vent. Any low spot will eventually fill with ice. I have the hose run about 30 feet so they is lots of cooling, condensing in the hose. It builds a huge stalagmite out behind my shop in the winter LOL I use cycle timers and relays to control watering.

Most of this diy stuff can be trial and error. Just keep at it till you figure it out.

D

Deleted member 2835

Been making my list of stuff to buy and researching the halo rings, they all seem to have horrible reviews saying they clog. Does anyone recommend any particular brand? Maybe 3D printed on Etsy but I cant find a damn thing. I've been looking at these:

I use cage net drippers... no clogs.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
But with a continuous flow of water available, those learning curves could be mighty expensive depending on what you flood out :)

In the above situation - carrying water sucks. I would have stopped at having the hose running upstairs with a spigot :)
I’ve had a few minor hiccups its all part of diy and learning. It can be stressful and not for everyone.

Working on some new multi layer plant veg wire carts today. I put up a 2x4 tent recently but can’t stand unzipping the thing. I use a role up black/white plastic for the door on the 6’ stand much easier. They are the ones Costco’s sells.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I've been thinking about trying these tropf setups
I’ve been running Blumat TROPF for a couple of years now and I like it a lot. They do work really well, but they aren’t fool proof, so you do still need to check on them daily to make sure one hasn’t failed to water or failed to stop watering. I top off the reservoir daily so it’s easy to tell if something is wrong when the amount of water needed is a lot different than previous days.

Bobby_Resigliano

After making my list I decided to turn another direction instead. Id like to continue to use coco but it will be an expensive adventure to start automation and I wont be using it for that long. I really want to start using my growmies soil mix and go organic instead. I think I want the entire setup less complicated. I only spent $10 on the coco brick so its much easier to turn course now than later. At a total of about $500 for all three phases of the automation, it seems like an easy choice.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
indoor worm bin.
After making my list I decided to turn another direction instead. Id like to continue to use coco but it will be an expensive adventure to start automation and I wont be using it for that long. I really want to start using my growmies soil mix and go organic instead. I think I want the entire setup less complicated. I only spent $10 on the coco brick so its much easier to turn course now than later. At a total of about $500 for all three phases of the automation, it seems like an easy choice.
If you go the organic path, I would recommend getting a nice indoor worm bin, or rigging a tub or whatever. That coco you already bought? Now it's a component of the worm bedding! They love that stuff.

Bobby_Resigliano

If you go the organic path, I would recommend getting a nice indoor worm bin, or rigging a tub or whatever. That coco you already bought? Now it's a component of the worm bedding! They love that stuff.
No shit eh? I was wondering what to do with all that coco lol. Its already been mixed with perlite tho. Will that matter?

I've seen a lot of you guys talking about the worm bins and what/when you throw stuff in. Time for more research.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
No shit eh? I was wondering what to do with all that coco lol. Its already been mixed with perlite tho. Will that matter?

I've seen a lot of you guys talking about the worm bins and what/when you throw stuff in. Time for more research.
Not sure about the perlite being beneficial, but I doubt it's detrimental. I use pumice just because it's natural rock, but I'm sure there are people doing living soil with worms and perlite in the same container. For the bedding you'll also be adding paper or cardboard and if it seems the perlite is too much you can just add more coco to thin it out.

Here's the difference for me. I have a compost pile outside and that stuff never comes inside. I have worm bins because I want cannabis food. So I have plain cardboard, rice hulls and coco bedding, but I also add dried up inside grown stuff. All my canna leftovers including the dried up woody stems, pruned stuff, or dry-sift and bubbe hash pulp. If I don't smoke it or eat it, the worms do.

I also add cover crops I've chopped, or the trimmings from any other indoor plants I have going, They get the best of the fruits or veggie scraps, sometimes I'll add bananas or something and I don't eat bananas.

So the stuff you'll find online about keeping a worm bin can be dialed in for specific purposes.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Not sure about the perlite being beneficial, but I doubt it's detrimental. I use pumice just because it's natural rock, but I'm sure there are people doing living soil with worms and perlite in the same container.
Perlite is natural, too. I thought it was man made until a few years ago when I read more about it and found it’s a natural resource created by volcanoes.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Perlite is natural, too. I thought it was man made until a few years ago when I read more about it and found it’s a natural resource created by volcanoes.
It's 'kinda like' stuff made by volcanoes. They use man-made high heat to 'popcorn' certain natural mineral stuff. But as it has been expanded, so it will be compressed. Much less floating to the top issue with pumice, and you can't really crush it in your fingers like perlite.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Does any one have an experience with the Ac infinity 69 wifi enviromental controllers. I already have a s4 inline with speed control and a s6 with temp/humidty/speed. I am trying to figure out if they can be used with the controller or I gotta get new fans? Is there some kind of adaptor?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Does any one have an experience with the Ac infinity 69 wifi enviromental controllers. I already have a s4 inline with speed control and a s6 with temp/humidty/speed. I am trying to figure out if they can be used with the controller or I gotta get new fans? Is there some kind of adaptor?
It comes with an adapter for the Molex connector that the older fans have. I just swapped out the older controller on my 4x4 with the Controller 69.

twobitbob

Super Active Member

they love the coco, lots places sell coco bricks for worm bedding, I have added perlite, pumice and rice hulls to worm bins too with roots included. the rice hulls they eat. They really like the spent alfalfa and kelp from making teas, be careful with the alfalfa since it does heat up in the bin
I had a 30 gal fabric pot outside with worms in it last summer and added quite a bit of used soil with roots and pumice in it and whatever else.
sometime in November last year they had already froze then it got nice for a couple of days and half way thawed out I put em in a shed that stays around 40-50 degrees and they survived the freeze and actually kind of exploded more then I expected. At the beginning of the summer I had 30 gallons of worm castings with pumice included and back into a different mix It went.
It was pretty cool watching them come back to life and mow down that whole pot of stuff, strong creatures