Looking for options/opinions

MisterG_98

Blue dream issues……quite disappointed
Soil: No idea brand but retains water insanely well for seedlings what it said
Light: mars hydro 1000 for veg got 2000 for flower got amnesia haze finishing on week 8 under it
Nutes: fox farms ocean grow trio fed half strength 1x
Light distance: no idea I’d say 2ft-2.5???
———yellow container leaf was very brittle idk if that helps anything
— The two small containers are clones from amnesia haze that were in flower “monster cropping” so I been told.
I’m assuming heat stress and possibly over water didn’t add drain holes until recently once I noticed how saturated soil was about 2-3 inches down so I took the dry on top and dug out a hole and put deep in hopes of absorbing some. And yesterday redone the setup of everything seemed to improve things somewhat yellow container was highly drooped alot better shape today after changing everything.

Attachments

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
Light: mars hydro 1000 for veg got 2000 for flower got amnesia haze finishing on week 8 under it
— The two small containers are clones from amnesia haze that were in flower “monster cropping” so I been told.
I’m assuming heat stress and possibly over water didn’t add drain holes until recently once I noticed how saturated soil was about 2-3 inches down so I took the dry on top and dug out a hole and put deep in hopes of absorbing some. And yesterday redone the setup of everything seemed to improve things somewhat yellow container was highly drooped alot better shape today after changing everything.
Rock and Roll. I would adjust your mars 1000 light to eighteen inches from the top of the plants. Good luck.

Bustenbeans

Smoke pot, eat twat and smile alot
You have any drainage in them pots? They look like what I put my key's and pens in when I get home from work lol

MisterG_98

You have any drainage in them pots? They look like what I put my key's and pens in when I get home from work lol
Well lmao…. You see some similar ones (larger ones) did great with my amnesia haze so I saw the prices one “real pots” and thought I get these and save like literally 30 dollars and no they didn’t and pretty sure I put drain holes I stabbed it a lot of times.

MisterG_98

Well lmao…. You see some similar ones (larger ones) did great with my amnesia haze so I saw the prices one “real pots” and thought I get these and save like literally 30 dollars and no they didn’t and pretty sure I put drain holes I stabbed it a lot of times.
The amnesia haze day 2 of week 8

Attachments

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
You don’t want soil that retains water insanely well for cannabis; you want soil that drains well. Fabric pots are cheap and they help with drainage and getting more O2 to the roots. What you are using are designed more for garden or stall cleanup and putting weeds and manure in during that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Not just drainage, but aeration. If your soil was compacted to mud from being overwatered, drain holes will halp but not much. Depending onhow long they were saturated without drainage I would treat it like a re-pot. Get them out of there and into pots (even the same ones WITH drainage) with the same soil fluffed up.

My 2 cents

MisterG_98

You don’t want soil that retains water insanely well for cannabis; you want soil that drains well. Fabric pots are cheap and they help with drainage and getting more O2 to the roots. What you are using are designed more for garden or stall cleanup and putting weeds and manure in during that.
So I need all new soil and pots new everything? Only reason I got the soil is at the time it was literally only thing they had and I bought all of it and still had to buy more the next day which is what I topped it with. Which was more of a mulch

MisterG_98

Not just drainage, but aeration. If your soil was compacted to mud from being overwatered, drain holes will halp but not much. Depending onhow long they were saturated without drainage I would treat it like a re-pot. Get them out of there and into pots (even the same ones WITH drainage) with the same soil fluffed up.

My 2 cents
No definitely not compacted. In as much places as I could I guess you could say flipped the soil I took all the saturated soil that was at bottom and put as much dry soil as I could in it’s place. So it has quite a bit of the mulch type soil. Pretty much the outa areas I made sure I didn’t hit roots.

MisterG_98

No definitely not compacted. In as much places as I could I guess you could say flipped the soil I took all the saturated soil that was at bottom and put as much dry soil as I could in it’s place. So it has quite a bit of the mulch type soil. Pretty much the outa areas I made sure I didn’t hit roots.
But thank you I will be doing that. It seems only option is to take them out. Would maybe adding some like medium sized gravel mixed help drainage I had a idea of like nature that what if I lined the bottom of whatever pot I use in future with gravel if it would benefit in any way

MisterG_98

👆 If you give the plant a gentle tug it may come right out in the previous smaller cup or pot shape. If it was too wet there were few roots being sent out to find water. Probably easier than it sounds above.
In my comment to the one above when I was trying to pull the saturated soil out and put the dry in bottom it definitely seemed Roots did not travel outward idk about downward

MisterG_98

But no one has commented on the lead colors and shapes and the edges curling up or I heard canoeing. Like is it root rot heat stress simply over watered nutrient burn. I’d like to know so I can identify if it ever occurs again.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
So I need all new soil and pots new everything? Only reason I got the soil is at the time it was literally only thing they had and I bought all of it and still had to buy more the next day which is what I topped it with. Which was more of a mulch
You don’t need new soil, just pick up some perlite and mix it into the soil. If there’s no perlite in the soil then I usually add 1 part perlite to 3 parts soil. So, if you have a 4 gallon pot then it would have 1 gallon of perlite mixed into it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I feel generous and am pretty high right now. Just re-looking at your initial pics and the plants look fine. The one in the hospital scrub colored container is showing genetic variegation that is kind of cool - not an issue to fix.

Like TFC 👆 said nothing wrong with using the existing soil. Some aeration like perlite, pumice, vermiculite would probably be beneficial, or even mixing that mulchy batch of stuff in with the other stuff.
If you picked up a seed starter specific soil the it is likely finely sifted and designed to compact around a seed and help it germinate. Lots of us use this but only in little cups to get them started, then transplant the cup into the regular "potting" type soil.

This is a weed, and it will grow like one as long as you don't mess with it too much ;) Fixing obvious iussues while they are still small is easier than dealing with the problems they might cause later.

Also, you didn't mention feeding the plant. Something to consider. Just starting out, no matter which route you choose less is more. There's liquid nutes or you can go with worms and organic stuff. One is waaaaay cheaper and the other comes with easy to follow recipes that usually work ok...

Opie1

Master Grower
Glad you joined over here man, you’ll get a lot more help (and from growers that know what they’re doing) than you would have where you were. As a plus there’s very few assholes and trolls around as well, they’re put in there place or leave pretty quick around here.
If you have any questions just ask, somebody will help.

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Glad you joined over here man, you’ll get a lot more help (and from growers that know what they’re doing) than you would have where you were. As a plus there’s very few assholes and trolls around as well, they’re put in there place or leave pretty quick around here.
If you have any questions just ask, somebody will help.
hello i’m the asshole and the designated troll for the time being how may i assist you?
oh have you tried drenching it in calmag? i heard it works wonders!

HibbityJibbity

It's probably just me, but that soil looks like basically straight peat moss, which is very acidic if not corrected before using for cannabis. Generally peat moss sits around 4.5 to 5 on pH as it comes out of the bag but could vary a bit below 6 usually. If. you can find out exactly what brand and "model" of soil you have we have a better starting point. If you have the means to I'd take a quick measurement of soil pH before making any other adjustments. If you're experiencing any lockouts your amendments may not be fully utilized and you could still look like you're having nutrient issues.

Surely the drain holes are a must as well, cannabis doesn't like sitting wet all the time. If it were me and I walked into an unknown grow and found any grow issues the first thing I'd check is soil pH. Then a runoff to check ppm and runoff pH as well. From those measurements you can get a fair handle on what's been done to them in the past, wrong pH or too much too little nutes etc. If I didn't already have an idea of the light output I'd also check the DLI to make sure the lights are doing their job correctly. After that I'd move on to cleanliness of the grow, check the nutrients being used and see what and how much they've been feeding. Also need to find out if they've been pHing before feeding or watering. Once all that's out of the way and you've determined all of the above has been correct all along you can start looking at the plants themselves as they react to feeding, watering etc.

Try and find out what soil that is. It may be nothing but peat moss. I may have missed it but you mentioned heat stress but didn't say what temps you're seeing day and night. I'm not seeing typical light stress yet either but that shows worse as time goes by.

Need some more info to accurately diagnose what you're seeing. Things may improve just by adding drainage.