Living soil 1st attempt

SitdDownSam

Hi Chuckers,

I'm having a pop at mixing and growing in a Clackasmas coot living soil that I have knocked up. I spent a while deliberating which of the many living soils to try but CC took my fancy. Comparison link One defo plan is a gorilla grow in a few 30L/6.5 gal fabric pots in remote areas with some of my clones. As much as I dont won't insects in my tents, I will try at least one plant in CC indoors this summer also. I usually reuse my grow soil in my garden so this is just an extension of that.

My mix consists of :

10L/2.2 Gal Worm castings (commercial)
10 L/2.2 Gal Rice husks
10L/2.2 Gal peat/light mix (old grow soil stored in composter in garder well innoculated)

125ml/4.2 oz kelp meal
125ml/4.2 oz krill meal
125ml/4.2 oz Neem meal
125ml/4.2 oz Gypsum
125ml/4.2 oz Oyster shell (flour)
250ml/8.4 oz Basalt

I mix up in 30L batches every couple of weeks and turn them once or twice a week. I moisten them with the aireated fresh worm compost tea.

I have 30L thats been cooking for near 3 months. I will start trialling clones and seedling in it in the next month and will update results here.

Attachments

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I grow everything in a living soil mix that’s similar to yours. If you use big enough containers and keep the microbes happy you’ll never turn back. Promise.
I was born and raised in the country and after a good rain, you can smell the soil and tell if it's good or not. It's got that certain 'richness" to the aroma. Always keep your soil or medium covered with something. I'm using "burlap' doubled up over my fabric pots with "Gro-Kashi" and Kelp, water with Brix to feed the colony.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
My mix consists of :

10L/2.2 Gal Worm castings (commercial)
10 L/2.2 Gal Rice husks
10L/2.2 Gal peat/light mix (old grow soil stored in composter in garder well innoculated)

125ml/4.2 oz kelp meal
125ml/4.2 oz krill meal
125ml/4.2 oz Neem meal
125ml/4.2 oz Gypsum
125ml/4.2 oz Oyster shell (flour)
250ml/8.4 oz Basalt
I used coots mix for years. I have a few tips to consider.
  1. Charged Biochar - added nutrient retention and aeration - 1 qt per cubic foot
  2. Montmorillonite (Calcium Bentonite) - chelated trace elements - 1/4 cup per cubic foot
  3. Its great you are using your old soil but I would still add fresh compost - 2.1G fresh compost / 2.1G composted used soil

SitdDownSam

Nice spot, cheers JJ (y)
I'll get some of the Ca ben and charged biochar but the compost is tricky as current costs are nonesense I can neither encourage or indulge in. (My reused soil had had a fair dollop of fresh comp added over that past 6 months for seedlings sake)

Soil update:
I have 5 batches for 5 x 30L/ 6.5 gal fabric pots. Its a gorilla grow so I'll mix all 5 batches on a big tarp at and bag up nearer time.

It'll transoprt/drop off/hide soil/h20 and plants seperately and plant at night.
Worries if a cover crop goes to seed & fucks up any buds means I'll cover soil with burlap/hessian. For soil surface I popped some alfalfa in some of the soil and I will let it grow then chop and add it all to the surface of pots under burlap along with a portion of my worm bin.

I am experimenting with a couple of XL Blumat carrots and 10L/2.5 gal water carrier. Apparently each carrot can feed 125ml/ 4 fl oz pèr day which would be very handy in height of summer.
Bellow are a few pics of the main contenders for boots and a seedling (plan B)
Happy growing all.

IMG_20200331_1733320_rewind.jpgLineup.jpgCanopy.jpgSeedlings.jpg

SitdDownSam

Trying out potting things up with the Clackasmas soil with the amendments J.J. suggested plus some worms. For vegatbles I used 1/2 Clack with 1/2 compost from bin and some hydroton in bottom.

For Cannabis I used all Clack with same hydroton.
Watered with EWC bubbled for 24o with pinch of Basalt and Molasses
Bellow are:
3 pepper plants and one tomato potted up to 4L (I'm low on soil ) I have put them in square auto pots (I would like to get some use out of the system as I dont run synthetic anymore.)

Plus the 1 Charlottes Web x Ringo's Gift shes been looking a bit pale but has vigourous growth.

R.I.P. Charlotte sleep easy in heaven.

I will update after any changes. Stay safe. Eat well. Autopot.jpgLitemicks.jpgCompost wormsnd.jpgYougpepper.jpgC.G.roots-1.jpgCharlottesGift.jpg3peppers1tomato.jpg