Light deprivation and suplimentation

SSGrower

Average Grower
Earlier this year I told myself I was not going to do this but here we are.
20190604_094234.jpg

Daylight hours table for my latitude:

Notes
Explanation
The Duration of Daylight table provides, for each calendar date, the total time that any portion of the Sun is above the horizon. Typically (for low and mid-latitude locations), this will be the elapsed time beginning at sunrise and ending at sunset.

The Duration of Darkness table provides, for each calendar date, the total time that the entire Sun is below the horizon. Typically (for low and mid-latitude locations), this will be the sum of two elapsed times: the time beginning at local midnight and ending at sunrise, and the time beginning at sunset and ending at local midnight.

For definitions of sunrise and sunset, see Rise, Set, and Twilight Definitions in our FAQ area.

For an explanation of why there is generally more daylight than darkness during the equinoxes (and all year at the equator), see Length of Day and Night at the Equinoxes and Comparative Lengths of Days and Nights.

Time Zones
For U.S. locations (Form A), phenomena times are presented in the standard time of the place requested, using the current time zone of that place. Standardized time zones were introduced in the U.S. in 1883, but the time zone boundaries have evolved considerably since then, with places shifting from one zone to another. This service makes no attempt to track such changes.

For worldwide locations (Form B) that require it, the time zone can be entered in hours and a fraction. For example, for locations in India, the time zone may be entered as 5.5 hours east of Greenwich. The time zone field can accommodate up to five characters.

Currently I use these tubs to make a sort of clamshell.
20190604_100518.jpg
The lexan is pretty diffuse, for a fact this is not light tight, but it appears to be working as I have this sativa dom in reveg now.
20190604_100713.jpg

Questions I have are is it better to deprive and sunrise AND sunset or target the ruduction at one end? Does deep shade do anything? Is there a breathable material that is suitable for use as a single plant covering? I have photography fabric (1 layer reduces light by 50% so could I use multiple layers in combo with deep am shade?

I feel like I would rather take advantage of a natural sunset, has anyone tried shifting the am or pm darkness to stay on 12/12?
I plan to do this in the fall as well but will be different strain, and I also want to push as late into the season so I will be working on some supplimental light/heat management (diy style).
20190529_092452.jpg
I am mainly an indoor grower but want to get away from the heavy reliance on electricty, which means I will need to insulate that coldframe better because right now I am only slightly ahead because heaters are just now only operating periodically at night.

I hope you join me on this journey.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Earlier this year I told myself I was not going to do this but here we are.
View attachment 8881

Daylight hours table for my latitude:

Notes
Explanation
The Duration of Daylight table provides, for each calendar date, the total time that any portion of the Sun is above the horizon. Typically (for low and mid-latitude locations), this will be the elapsed time beginning at sunrise and ending at sunset.

The Duration of Darkness table provides, for each calendar date, the total time that the entire Sun is below the horizon. Typically (for low and mid-latitude locations), this will be the sum of two elapsed times: the time beginning at local midnight and ending at sunrise, and the time beginning at sunset and ending at local midnight.

For definitions of sunrise and sunset, see Rise, Set, and Twilight Definitions in our FAQ area.

For an explanation of why there is generally more daylight than darkness during the equinoxes (and all year at the equator), see Length of Day and Night at the Equinoxes and Comparative Lengths of Days and Nights.

Time Zones
For U.S. locations (Form A), phenomena times are presented in the standard time of the place requested, using the current time zone of that place. Standardized time zones were introduced in the U.S. in 1883, but the time zone boundaries have evolved considerably since then, with places shifting from one zone to another. This service makes no attempt to track such changes.

For worldwide locations (Form B) that require it, the time zone can be entered in hours and a fraction. For example, for locations in India, the time zone may be entered as 5.5 hours east of Greenwich. The time zone field can accommodate up to five characters.

Currently I use these tubs to make a sort of clamshell.
View attachment 8884
The lexan is pretty diffuse, for a fact this is not light tight, but it appears to be working as I have this sativa dom in reveg now.
View attachment 8885

Questions I have are is it better to deprive and sunrise AND sunset or target the ruduction at one end? Does deep shade do anything? Is there a breathable material that is suitable for use as a single plant covering? I have photography fabric (1 layer reduces light by 50% so could I use multiple layers in combo with deep am shade?

I feel like I would rather take advantage of a natural sunset, has anyone tried shifting the am or pm darkness to stay on 12/12?
I plan to do this in the fall as well but will be different strain, and I also want to push as late into the season so I will be working on some supplimental light/heat management (diy style).
View attachment 8886
I am mainly an indoor grower but want to get away from the heavy reliance on electricty, which means I will need to insulate that coldframe better because right now I am only slightly ahead because heaters gr are just now only operating periodically at night.

I hope you join me on this journey.
Can't tell you much about light dep, haven't done it. I have used 55 gallon uline trash cans (cheaper than brute) to cover plants because they were flowering with too many light sources around. It was actually pretty slick, I drilled a 4" hole and put a 110cfm booster fan in the bottom. Just to make sure I didn't get any mold issues. You can add old tires around the pot to get more height out of it too. But to be honest I was glad when it was over, it turned into a bit of work, lol.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Can't tell you much about light dep, haven't done it. I have used 55 gallon uline trash cans (cheaper than brute) to cover plants because they were flowering with too many light sources around. It was actually pretty slick, I drilled a 4" hole and put a 110cfm booster fan in the bottom. Just to make sure I didn't get any mold issues. You can add old tires around the pot to get more height out of it too. But to be honest I was glad when it was over, it turned into a bit of work, lol.
Yeah, for sure, one more chore and this one has a time stamp on it. Luckilly I only have about a month to go, once LW starts maturing she goes pretty quick.
Condensation is definitely a concern, even with the gaps on the sides there has been dew in there on a few mornings.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Next spring I will start earlier to avoid the pine pollen. Target finish date june 15, not july 15. Tough thing is this strain should be done by now based on indoor experience. Maybe since I am not getting total black out that is drawing things out. Gonna start covering more, more like 11/13, hopefully finish up in 10 - 14 days.
20190628_164338.jpg

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Next spring I will start earlier to avoid the pine pollen. Target finish date june 15, not july 15. Tough thing is this strain should be done by now based on indoor experience. Maybe since I am not getting total black out that is drawing things out. Gonna start covering more, more like 11/13, hopefully finish up in 10 - 14 days.
View attachment 11977
It probably has to do with those being the longest days of the year. Maybe try to black it out more and adding dark hours will get you there too.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Just chopped the one I was doin. I missed covering/uncovering a few times and was not 100% on timing so I slowed the progress some there I think. Also spring is pollen season so I used power wash to clean it up.