LED experts...

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
what do you guys think of this? would two of these be good for a 4x4 tent. or could i build/buy something else for $200 that would outperform this? any help would be appreciated?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I think it is a pretty great deal on a veg light and at 180 watts or so you could probably veg a 3 x 3 with it.
In 5k too. A real steal. If that were at the store here i would get one to put my better light in the flower room

We have something like that 145 watts (at the same store) for 330 bucks....well i can get 240 watts of strip or cobs for quite a bit less than that :D

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
The question is...is it blurple...maybe thats where all the mars lights go to die. LED joke there...like a dad joke but more illuminating.

Seriously i think it is a great veg light. IF you are crunched for cash for a grow and need a light get an old school 600 for peanuts and grow a round or two and then add on others.

MH or HPS lights are a lot cheaper to start out with. But clearance is a bitch. And nugs like rocks are how that goes down. Not as efficient but dank ass wonderful buds for sure.

Heat...well it is actually easier to deal with if you can extract it out someplace. Those air cooled hoods are really something else.

Last edited:

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
For flowering you need 2700 to 3500 K

For Veg any of those but they get better 3500 to 6000

So it wont flower worth a shit. But it will veg great. And veg lights require far less wattage per foot so it can cover a bigger space.

Good LED are COBS and Samsung strips and boards and a minimum to cover space well is about 30 watts a foot. 40 will be amazing coverage for them.

But they are pricier. If you want to do your garden on the cheap i really recomend getting hortibloom on sale fixtures because you can build them yourself for almost the same price

180 USD covers a 2 x 4 roughly in 3k. either in a 2 x 2 or 4 x 1 configuration.

PhatNuggz

If you have room for a 4ftr then you could buy warm aquarium bulbs and swap them out for flower, although they might also be available in 2fts. You should check first. Also, see if you can get warm white (~ 3000k) for flower

Removing the diffuser will give your plants considerably more useful light

The main problem with this is the tubes produce 360* light, whereas you want as much light as possible aimed at your canopy. HD sells cheap vanity fixtures that are esasy to wire and hang. Then get led spot lights so 100% of the light goes down to your canopy. That's how I rolled in the early days

hth

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
If you could assemble a light, you can get 2 Atreum 288pc boards and heatsinks for 79.00 each on Ebay and buy a Meanwell HLG-2100mA CC driver for 69.00(plus tax)> to power the 2 boards. A little bit of wire and you have a high quality LED light. 2 sets of these lights would do a 4 X 4. Would be close to 550 watts with both sets.

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
If you could assemble a light, you can get 2 Atreum 288pc boards and heatsinks for 79.00 each on Ebay and buy a Meanwell HLG-2100mA CC driver for 69.00(plus tax)> A little bit of wire and you have a high quality LED light. 2 sets would do a 4 X 4.
no we are talking, i was hoping someone would throw some thing like this out there. Will that get through veg and bloom or will this just be a better veg light.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
no we are talking, i was hoping someone would throw some thing like this out there. Will that get through veg and bloom or will this just be a better veg light.
It will do both. The boards are 3000K, but I've used 2700K in veg before. 3500K is perfect for veg and flower This design is right under 1.00 per watt.
I'd think twice about buying commercial lights. Best to do some reading and DIY one yourself.
There are different combinations of LED's you can do from COBs to QB's or strips for around the same price. I suggest you go to growmau5's youtube channel and watch his instruction videos before you buy anything. Learn how these things work. You'll thank me later. lol

Last edited:

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
What's ur budget?
Are U trying to put it on a card, is that why HD?
I work in the trades where the magnetic balleasts of old are coming down quick and going with led drivers.
I dumpster dive.
@Uncle Romulus and @Jesselikes2Grow
Can attest to my beasts created from the deep.
Dont get me wrong. There is a place for t12 t8 fluorescent fixtures. When U have them for free, use em.
But imho I would build an easy setup. I reached almost 300 watts for just over 200$
$150 in 4 x Qb132's
$60 in a meanwell 240watt driver.
There are plenty of setups but a good all around spectrum for veg and flower is what I wanted to achieve so I got 4 4k and 4 3k.

Check out my thread HLG something or other