Led causes herms??

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
The other forum, someone was selling an LED, cob, because it wasn't doing what his mh 315 could. It started a convo about penetration and how leds can give a novice trouble on the unders turning herm.
The amount of people that believe this is remarkable.
I don't use cobs, so I'm not familiar with a concentrated light source.
Ant truth that dimly lit undergrowth is more prone to herming?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The other forum, someone was selling an LED, cob, because it wasn't doing what his mh 315 could. It started a convo about penetration and how leds can give a novice trouble on the unders turning herm.
Guaranteed one of the comments was "that's why I SCROG!" 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I know for a fact lower light in lowers and especially scrogs can cause herms, you cant tell.people that shit though.

I know for a fact lower light in lowers and especially scrogs can cause herms, you cant tell.people that shit though.
Say H, I saw your YT vid where you had a very cool looking cob array on one side and CMH array on the other and the cob side was way more developed. Do you chalk that up to the cobs simply penetrate the canopy better so in turn engage more of the plant so they grow better?

And do you think that for those of us using led and scrog it would be a good idea to throw a couple 24W stick lights under the scrog layer to keep the lowers engaged which would hopefully eliminate any potential ball issues?

Last edited:

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Under 5k lux will cause a plant to stress out and produce male parts. Maybe not with a landrace but with most hybrids today it can and does happen.

It is good practice to clear out all lowers and crap under 10k lux to prevent it. And that stuff doesnt produce a nug worth a shit anyway.

If I hang the 1000 HPS as right at the joists it is 15k lux on the ground. So that is why HPS is a lot easier. You dont really have to clean them up.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Say H, I saw your YT vid where you had a very cool looking cob array on one side and CMH array on the other and the cob side was way more developed. Do you chalk that up to the cobs simply penetrate the canopy better so in turn engage more of the plant so they grow better?

And do you think that for those of us using led and scrog it would be a good idea to throw a couple 24W stick lights under the scrog layer to keep the lowers engaged which would hopefully eliminate any potential ball issues?
Scrogs just need to be cleaned up underneath. Dont flip to early in a scrog. The majority of tops should have a hole before you flip and those tops should grow straight up. People weaving during the stretch are only burying bud sites. Once everything is organized anything below the screen can go.
I personally would never low stress train or manifold seeded plants. I would run plants from seeds in smaller pots in a sea of green , take cuts at the first sign of sex and flip them. Eliminate the non keepers and than re run the keepers in scrogs or as bigger plants.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I don’t know bout herms, but I’m a believer in that light toxicity. Been a couple rounds when I push the distance from light to plants on cheaper leds, no drivers,etc. and it seems to shock em a little,take longer to finish, and when dried and scoped, the stalks and some heads of both thc and others will be ice white, not milky not amber. I bleached that bitch lol. It’s obviously not pm etc, it’s the inside of glands and it’s just too white. But I know I prolly got too much light in 2 of 3 tents, with air temp and hum ok

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have only had herms 2 or 3 times in 40 years. Most of the new strains today have herms in their lineage. My 1st herm was 10 to 12 years ago from the most popular breeders on the market at the time.
These poor plants have been worked to death over the years. No wonder it's more common now a days.
They are getting exposed to environments the plants have never experienced before.
And COB's definitely are an "asset" in the garden.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The title of the thread is over-broad. That's all. Low light can cause herms? OK. Some blurples or low quality LED's have no penetration - but I'm sure the same could be said with fluorescent tubes, CFL's, or any other lower wattage light.

It is only the statement that LED's cause herms that I am disagreewing with.

Shit genetics or over-crossed super-poly-hybrids cause more herms than not enough light.