Large buds and curing

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Was wonder what you guys do with large 1 oz size and bigger buds. Do you put the entire bud in the jar or do you cut the individual buds off the main stem and cure them that way.. just curious if you break up the large buds or jar them whole.
I used to keep it all as big as possible. Tossing a jar full of mold will cure you of that. I take the tops down to what is naturally separated. If it's a continuous hard nug of a bunch of littler ones, or just something fat and dense I let it dry hanging a little longer.

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
thanks guys .. my thoughts also.. its harvest time and i have some coke bottle sized buds so i was curious.. and i did have to throw away one of my prize bud from last harvest due to mold

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
they were banana orange daiquiri they have been hanging for a week.. might start cleaning them up tomorrow.... there are enough pics of everything H creates i dont really feel the need.. if it were something exceptional by H standards i would certainly share it.. i have not found one that wasnt excellent after growing his stuff for a few grows... although i had difficulty with the black banana cookies...

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
they were banana orange daiquiri they have been hanging for a week.. might start cleaning them up tomorrow.... there are enough pics of everything H creates i dont really feel the need.. if it were something exceptional by H standards i would certainly share it.. i have not found one that wasnt excellent after growing his stuff for a few grows... although i had difficulty with the black banana cookies...
I had a pack of the "Banana Orange Daiquiri" in my hands yesterday to plant and decided to plant a couple packs from the Shinobi of seeds, plus Scarlet Johannson and Banana Cocktail from Honest Genetics.
Gonna try the "float tech" method for starting seed this time.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Something I just noticed because I did it. When it's curing I'll dump the jar occasionally just to get a good air-out instead of burping.

On the tops, as they cure, sometimes the leaves between the nugs that got trimmed instead of snipped at the stem will dry fine with the bud. Sometimes they stay green and squishy longer than the bud. If they stay squishy I pull that nug off and pick the leaf. Staying moist is the precursor for mold - rH packs or not.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
As far as larger buds being more susceptible to mold, I don't think mold care's what the size of the buds are. It cares about the humidity inside of them. Get some hygrometers and learn to calibrate and use them.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
It's just easier for large buds to hold onto moisture longer than smaller ones.
Exactly, thats why you need the hygrometers. You can guess on the moisture and "hope" that its dry enough not to mold, BUT why not just be safe and know for sure, which a hygrometer will do for you. Big buds, small buds, it doesn't matter. Its just as important to learn to use and calibrate hygrometers. They drift and batteries go weak. You need to keep up with them.

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
i have numerous hygrometers and my room is air conditioned and humidity controlled.. like charlie said it was the center of a huge bud.. and i dont really think any serious grower would be guessing about anything..

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
It's not about the moisture. All weed has moisture - which is why we dry it :rolleyes:

It's about airflow.
If its about airflow, tell me how the weed we have, can stay in jars sealed for months or even years, and never mold. I personally think of airflow as nothing more than a tool that can help to reduce the moisture down to a safe level which is what I'm looking for.

Last edited: