Kratky method

Will Uncle Rom have a successful harvest for his 1st kratky attempt?

• Hell Yeah

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Fuck No

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Vee

Ancient Member
Anyone have any experience with this? To my knowledge, it's basically just DWC without air stones/pumps. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me... but hell, maybe I'll give it a try just for fun.
I'm just sexing a bunch of old school Indica's at the Mo.
and intend moving some males to the Kratky method
as a test.

On YT it best described as the Dangle Method?
simply cut a 3" hole in your clean Garbage Bin
drop in 4 inches of dwc juice
and close the lid

the bottom most roots do the suck and the rest get the air(in the bin)
just a big clone job really?

from Pro Kratky at the Uni of Hawaii

Vee

Ancient Member
You need some roots submerged and some exposed to air. Your air roots and your water roots lol. I’ve seen people do well with kratky. Ive used the meathod with clones sometimes in the window lol. If your set up for dwc I don’t really see the point besides shits n giggles tho
I'm dead keen to give it a try
as I age lifting around 300? x 3usg is getting to much,

whoops! .. I mean my lawn...lol

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Anyone have any experience with this? To my knowledge, it's basically just DWC without air stones/pumps. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me... but hell, maybe I'll give it a try just for fun.
You had me at recipe for disaster. Ill be posting up my Kratky debacle. Haven't seen much online so thought I'd do it. I'm basically looking to experiment with using less water and doing less labor. Not looking for DWC results. If its even on par with my promix/coco blend growth rate, ill prob rock it more often. I'm impressed already but haven't dealt with many issues YET lol. Ill post up pics and details later

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
D192292B-8677-4DC1-B32E-E2D39D7D6939.jpeg
BF001089-0630-49D6-BFA1-A37D1EFCF918.jpeg
So I cut a hole in a drip saucer thing and put a little planter in it. (Heisen bast from seed in promix/coco) Filled the blue bucket with 850ppm maxi bloom solution ph ed to 6.0. Had trouble with it wicking you water but fiddled with the level and now it’s fine. I give it a few stirs a day. Going to let it go a good week or two yet before I change out the solution, but I’ll watch the ph. When I change it I’ll not fill it up this high again to allow for air roots 👍

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
394E08F0-9764-4EAE-A716-06B47503E0EC.jpeg
2AC97F87-77C3-44CE-9FA8-0EE1294F219C.jpeg
As this kratky thread is really blowing up with my one like from @SoLowDoughLow , I will continue on for educational purposes.

First off I am intentionally doing this shitty to see what we can get away with. I’m using tap water and going to make res changes as infrequent as possible, fully expecting failure. Maybe we ll get lucky here but I’m prob going to keep trying and tweaking. Like how the bucket isn’t overly light proof.. tap water instead of filtered.. planter with coco and peat instead of net pot with hydroton clay thingers.. there’s plenty of room for improvements. I’m thinking 🤔 I should not add any more ph down till res change cause I did that twice already.. I have no idea what I’m doing here but that makes it fun

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
View attachment 31425
View attachment 31426
As this kratky thread is really blowing up with my one like from @SoLowDoughLow , I will continue on for educational purposes.

First off I am intentionally doing this shitty to see what we can get away with. I’m using tap water and going to make res changes as infrequent as possible, fully expecting failure. Maybe we ll get lucky here but I’m prob going to keep trying and tweaking. Like how the bucket isn’t overly light proof.. tap water instead of filtered.. planter with coco and peat instead of net pot with hydroton clay thingers.. there’s plenty of room for improvements. I’m thinking 🤔 I should not add any more ph down till res change cause I did that twice already.. I have no idea what I’m doing here but that makes it fun
That actually looks really good tho, I've been meaning to do this, kept forgetting lol... my next seed I pop is getting the kratky treatment lol

Vee

Ancient Member
Gentlemen: I quit Kratky ..
The reason for growing in the first place was to see if the Kratky method
would get the babes up and running faster than the normal soil grown plants

So far it has not, I suffered much in the way of dry shrivilled roots and had much trouble keeping them damp

I had expected a typical Jasmonic response, a flush of growth once in soil for 2? days like a post fim?

I have yet to germ in soil then move to Krakty later

I'll try this with Chillie in the spring

cheers

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
That actually looks really good tho, I've been meaning to do this, kept forgetting lol... my next seed I pop is getting the kratky treatment lol
Do it bro! If you have more reliable power in the winter than I do... I'm just sayin... The airstone is very tempting lol. Im not gonna do it tho cause we had a 31 hour outage and a few 12 hour outages last winter. I feel this and temperature issues keeping my from hydro. This Kratky action can handle the outages tho (y) might buy a heat mat for under the bucket

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Ph is at 6.2 this morn. I got a dastardly idea 💡. Going to let ph wander up to 6.4-6.5 then give the bucket o solution to one of my least babied plants thus saving further water. Then I’ll ph new “res” nice and sketchy low like 5.6-5.7 so I don’t have to mess with it. Just let it get to 6.5 then give it to another plant. 👍 I actually pay for water to be brought in to a holding tank so not only am I being environmentally friendly saving water but also saving money. (I actually trade product for water, not currency but you get the point)

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
Ph is at 6.2 this morn. I got a dastardly idea 💡. Going to let ph wander up to 6.4-6.5 then give the bucket o solution to one of my least babied plants thus saving further water. Then I’ll ph new “res” nice and sketchy low like 5.6-5.7 so I don’t have to mess with it. Just let it get to 6.5 then give it to another plant. 👍 I actually pay for water to be brought in to a holding tank so not only am I being environmentally friendly saving water but also saving money. (I actually trade product for water, not currency but you get the point)
Shit, that's not sketchy low IMO... I'll drop mine down to 5.3 sometimes and let it drift up from there

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
AA4CE4CC-FA61-410E-B946-9DDFBA2458B6.jpeg
C674B8BE-E90D-4B24-B4B5-E98A5B0BCA93.jpeg
didn’t check ph or nothin. Still haven’t changed out original res. Will give the solution to a promix plant here in the next few days. She’s actually starting to put a noticeable dent in the water level. I ll try and sneak it into flower asap 👍. I feel like anything but a quick veg will double down on the disaster. Might as well send it in no more than a week. There is flowering space about to open up with some plants finishing.