Kis A Dichotomous Key for Understanding Nutrient Deficiencies

twobitbob

Super Active Member

Well written

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Interestingly enough, those charts with the nice pics of actual leaves showing each deficiency? All hydro/salts...

twobitbob

Super Active Member
Interestingly enough, those charts with the nice pics of actual leaves showing each deficiency? All hydro/salts...
Yeah, they were all in small pots too, I was thinking they did that to show the deficiency.
It would be a good way to show the deficiency mixing your own salts with a plant they know, feed normal then take out whatever salt they want to show the deficiency.
How else would one show the exact deficiency that they want to document?

twobitbob

Super Active Member
By going to any forum and looking for pics with the caption "OH MY GOD!! MY PLANT IS DYING, HELP!!!" :ROFLMAO:
sure I guess you could do that
Whoever did that documentation put some serious time into it to show the different difficiencies, if that's how they did it anyhow.
I was only trying to add some helpful information onto the infirmary

Streetpro09

Tester
sure I guess you could do that
Whoever did that documentation put some serious time into it to show the different difficiencies, if that's how they did it anyhow.
I was only trying to add some helpful information onto the infirmary
It's a good contribution. I personally have a hard time with the childish "pictures". I would call them drawings. Real plant pictures are much easier to compare to real plants that are right in front of me.

With that being said i usually use this website to determine deficiencies. It's actually where i picked up a lot of info from.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's my take on recipes and deficiencies. If you monocrop a mom for a few years "dialing in" a nute regimen is a great production tool. All for getting weight - not necessarily bringing out the finer points of each plant.

But a seed mom will have different needs than her clone, and two seeds from the same bud on the same plant can have different needs.

Using that as a building block, there is probably a base - very light - recipe that will work for most plants. The more you give them, the more chance of missing that sweet spot there is. Why? Because we really don't know what the fuck they need at any given time 😜 If we did there would be no deficiencies.

There is also the fact that it's an annual. Keeping a mom plant for a long time is unnatural. It is probably more prone to having systemic problems that look like deficiencies along with actual deficiencies if you are trying to 'cook' this plant on the back burner while taking clones on the regular.

I try not to preach, but this is the main draw of living soil. Instead of playing at chef, you are playing at gardener recreating a little garden for the plant to grow in complete with worms and cover crops and whatever. I ain't in any of the cults. Growing in living soil under fake lights in a tent in my spare bedroom ain't natural either :ROFLMAO: But is sure is a lot easier once you get going. And cheaper. With no metersand such.