Just got my new HLG 550 bspec and I already have problems

I only installed it 2 days ago and I already see the top leaves on my Wedding Cake are dying. Does anyone know what's up? I'm new to this led thing.

It's not happening to the other plants tho. Only the WC.

problems 001.JPG

problems 002.JPG

problems 003.JPG

Things I should have mentioned.

The light is running at max power 27" above canopy. I lowered the light to 50% now just in case that was the issue. I hope that was it.

I also moved them from a 450 watt MH to this light. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Just like putting a plant into direct sunlight outdoors . dimm the light vs move the light away. The light will no more than need to be 30-50% (depending on watts and brand ) in dimm in veg stage , then in flower stage keep dimming it gradually ( key is to gradullay dim it or everything is a shock ) it’s not the heat that gets the plant , they proper light level, vpd , airflow for Co2 ( think of not air for you?)

once you hit a certain point you will need Co2 no matter what or it will not be any benefit for your plants and they can’t input nutes and it will just stress them. The plant needs more c02 when running a light above 800 ppfd. Everything ran under a led needs to be a environment since you are running c02 and higher nute intakes (15-25%) you need to be following vpd as the key to success (if you don’t know what that is, I’ll give ya the link on bottom.

co2 in veg stage 750-1500ppm
c02 in flower 900-1200ppm stop last 1-3 weeks before flower harvest
you need to follow nutes based on Co2 and if a plant looks like it’s deficient or needs more, add more by adding dry amendments or have a separate Rez for them. You can’t have your whole crop ruined . You can’t play god when this is proven sci where Co2 and nutes work together as base

great intro to leds info made by fluence

vpd guide

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I only installed it 2 days ago and I already see the top leaves on my Wedding Cake are dying. Does anyone know what's up? I'm new to this led thing.

It's not happening to the other plants tho. Only the WC.

View attachment 73453

View attachment 73454

View attachment 73455
I'm sure you'll be just fine after you dimmed your lights. It was probably just a shock to your plants. More powerful light, causing a deficiency, and maybe a different spectrum had some effect.

I run perpetual, so I don't always dim the lights when I move them to the flower tent, but you can also just increase your ppm enough to where you don't get a deficiency. That's a little more tricky though and doesn't always work as well as dimming the light and easing the plants into it.

inthetrees

I had issues when switching from CMH to LED. I tried being 24" @ 100% and damn near fried my plants in early veg. Met a guy on another forum who runs my same panels and he suggested 50% at 36" to acclimate them. It worked wonders. I kept the height and dim % static and let em grow up into the lights before dialing up and adjusting the height.

I'm just ending 2nd week of flower now, and I have some plants that are over 5' tall and 6" from the panels @ 100% and they are taking every inch of it. JUst gotta give em a chance to grab first but Burned Haze is absolutely right. You're gonna need co2 if you plan to push these lights to their full potential.

I tried following the VPD that everyone suggested for co2 with 85F/70% and idk... I had condensation on my chiller lines and in every small space there wasn't air circulation. Be easier in a smaller space. I found running 80F/60% was the sweet spot for my situation. This is contradictory to the info online but its working the best for me.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Thanks everyone for the replies. These damn things are so powerful. I can't believe 480 watts at almost 30" would do this. I ran 4 of the HLG 100 V2's at full power and the plants loved it. I guess these 550's are a lot more powerful. I got 3 of them at a great deal :alien:
I've done the same thing before. Growers underestimate LED's performance. Run more "moisture" in the room will help. 60, 65% humidity, 80 to 85 degrees and keep the light away from them until they adjust. lol

They look much better already tonight. I can't believe I was running a 600 watt MH and this puppy at half power is absolutely destroying the 600 watt. I'm starting to like what I spent on these things :alien:

Also, unlike having an air cooled hood, I notice they like to have their intake coming from the bottom of the tent. I think I am going to buy 4" duct and wrap it around the inside bottom of the tent and slice it up for airflow all around.