I wonder

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
This is a tricky one. I have a 15 amp circuit in the garage and a tiny freezer on it.

I want to put my 4 x 4 tent out there. My free light is an 600 watt min HPS.

How much of a surge does a freezer take...when it kicks on is where it is tricky? (what is the max power of light you would run on that circuit with the freezer).

5 amps for the freezer.

600 watts is 5 amps

15 amp circuit maxed out is 12 amps but the surge is going to pop it i think. If i have to i will put the HPS in the bloom room and take out a bar or two to make it work.

this is to start all outdoor seeds. My bloom and veg areas can not hold vegtables...geeze there is barely room for the cannabis. :D
I had one of my strings set up on the same circuit as my chest freezer. I could run 3 x 240watt 2100mA meanwells >900watts (A series drivers). maxed out and it would trip my breaker after about an hr. I can load that string down with 3 fans and 3 x 240's and am good. lol
I unplugged the freezer.

Now1more

Super Active Member
As for me. This particular electrician has worked on my electrical panel before. Put in a new breaker for me to run a hot water heater. I got rid of the tankless coil when I had the heating system replaced this past Fall. Not sure what the wiring is, but my house is 20 years old, if that helps.

Big Perm

Budtender
BP is correct. the wiring will not handle a 20.

In Canada for a 20 amp you have to use that yellow wire which is 1 step up past the standard household wire. I have 3/4 of a roll of each of them from wiring projects.

I will learn to live with it OR i will move the freezer. It should pop pretty fast if its going to.

and i can go with less light if it can keep the tent warm enough. It is just for vegging stuff to go outside to keep soil out of the room.
Depending on your run, and since the wire only goes to one outlet in your garage, Here is what I would do:
Kill the power to the circuit.
Go to the garage and unwire the outlet, straighten out the wires, tie the new thicker wire to the old wiring, really really good.
Go back to the circuit box and unhook the wiring to the circuit.
Pull on that fucker as hard as you possibly can. They make a lube for it, too use that for sure.
When you get the new wire pulled to the box, hook it up.
It also might be easier to pull it from the opposite direction.
Now cut off the wire to length and hook it up to the outlet.
You just replaced your circuit wire.
-Your mileage may vary.

Now1more

Super Active Member
Hey, I listen to the old timers... They know what works. As far as code, who knows? Haven't tripped a breaker or run into any issues.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
That yellow wire (#12) is a bitch to bend compared to the white stuff.

I had the 2 circuits put in the bloom room that were 20 amps each...i needed 1/3 of a roll of wire and it was 5 dollars cheaper to get the whole roll.

And I think i have a double knockout that says DRYER that is not in use for that. I can repurpose that to a 20 amp for the garage and a spare. The dryer used to be electric but they changed it to a natural gas clothes dryer...what a concept. It is very cheap to run.