I think I F'ed up the dry

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Sorry, these pictures aren't great, but it's the best my phone can do. While I was trimming I noticed that the buds were more brown on the inside than I expected. I think it's a brown mold. If it is, can I use this for anything? Even making topicals? Or should I just toss it? I'm a bit bummed because it's a bit over three ounces. 😭

The drying conditions were between 50% and 65% rh and 77 and 89 degrees F. (Which is why I'm thinking mold.)

mold1.jpg

mold2.jpg

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Mold normally happens inside the largest buds were they connect to the main stem. If its moldy, do the right thing and throw it away. It happens to the best of us. Its normally white mold

Do you wash your cannabis before you hang it to dry?

Last edited:

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
pretty sure spores are visible under a loupe depending on how powerful it is. grab a smaller bud from the lower shelf and compare it to 1 of the suspects.

if your gonna be running higher humidity during drying make sure your temps are 70 and below. higher temps with the higher humidity will spell disaster. if you cant get your temps low enough, drop the humidity into the 55-57% range and check them everyday.

also buds with mold like your describing are usually mushy. crack open a couple bigger pieces. When u press it in between your fingers it will be mushy and wet feeling. Make sure to wear gloves and separate the suspects from your other ladys so it doesnt spread,

i have heard of ppl running their moldy buds into Bho but thats not something i would ever consider doing.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Mold normally happens inside the largest buds were they connect to the main stem. If its moldy, do the right thing and throw it away. It happens to the best of us. Its normally white mold

Do you wash your cannabis before you hang it to dry?
No, I just cut it and hung it to dry.

pretty sure spores are visible under a loupe depending on how powerful it is. grab a smaller bud from the lower shelf and compare it to 1 of the suspects.

if your gonna be running higher humidity during drying make sure your temps are 70 and below. higher temps with the higher humidity will spell disaster. if you cant get your temps low enough, drop the humidity into the 55-57% range and check them everyday.

also buds with mold like your describing are usually mushy. crack open a couple bigger pieces. When u press it in between your fingers it will be mushy and wet feeling. Make sure to wear gloves and separate the suspects from your other ladys so it doesnt spread,

i have heard of ppl running their moldy buds into Bho but thats not something i would ever consider doing.
:unsure: Nothing feels mushy. Opening buds is crunchy and they just feel sticky.

BerryNice

Super Active Member
Sorry, these pictures aren't great, but it's the best my phone can do. While I was trimming I noticed that the buds were more brown on the inside than I expected. I think it's a brown mold. If it is, can I use this for anything? Even making topicals? Or should I just toss it? I'm a bit bummed because it's a bit over three ounces. 😭

The drying conditions were between 50% and 65% rh and 77 and 89 degrees F. (Which is why I'm thinking mold.)

View attachment 65802

View attachment 65803
Just eat it people eat moldy bread all the time

Eat it and if it taste like chicken or fish or penacillin throw it out

Otherwise your good

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
No, I just cut it and hung it to dry.

:unsure: Nothing feels mushy. Opening buds is crunchy and they just feel sticky.
if it was me id try to leave them dry out in low humidity while the other non supsected buds cure. keep checking on them and as sfrigon1 said if you see dust flying when you crack them open the dust is more than likely mold spores. you should deff grab a loupe and look closer at them

if you cure them up a few days and they look no different then your other buds along with no spores flying around id prolly try smoking a small piece to just see if i could notice any difference in taste. but this is only after ive exhausted any other possible way of figuring out if they were contaminated or not. usually they will have an ammonia like smell when they get real bad.

its a challange for smaller growers to find out if they have a small smount of mold or not. deff try to watch those high temps and humidity and you shouldnt have a problem :)

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Dude better than any prohibition stuff that happened so many times if you had to buy it and god knows what they did to it or cared to smuggle it to make it smell less or care about contaminates in their process and curing or in growing in general (if you want a preflush do h202 flushing before but that’s only if your bud is fuck/majorly infected ) . I honestly think as long as it’s homegrown and u know what’s in it and ur not doing anything bad, smoke it, mold ain’t bad Inless it’s crazy rates and Inless u have immunity issues . I have so many times iso dipped (using cotton swab + dipping small amounts iso and hit any possible budrot where prev bud was sitting and use scissors and keep them. In iso and dip em and remove any of the infected and discard it) after I removed the “ budrot” piece (,which if your a outdoor guy it’s always the top nugs and Inless it’s not fully infected the bud will start with the bottom top bud where it “rest” .i would suggest keeping and never sell “cleaned up versions” ( since the mold can come back and if your a grower it’s easy to jut throw it away ) I was for personal use quality scanning and anything budrot saving for me and it’s funny if you removed that small bud you could save so many buds and I never got sick , can’t imagine over the years how many oz’s I’ve smoked i smoked and it worked perfect. Just bud scan while your burping it out and cure it for 1-2 months and make sure it’s it’s not infected .

Key is with “ budrot “ at bud is have only 10-25% only in each jar or buckets and always be checking for any infected budrot buds after that with a good flashlight ( I bought a rechargeable beam light jut for that quality checking)

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I just tossed two huge Blueberry Super skunk buds that got moldy on me. Rest of the summer Im chopping everything up into smaller buds and drying on a screen. Had 4 plants drying. Only one fucked me.
I am much happier outdoors with more branches with smaller buds for both budworms and mold

I still have it. Is curing and still looks okay. I may have been imagining things.
Besides being sticky, it's also brown and gritty............and kinda nasty. You would definitely know if you had it. That nastiness isn't like anything else.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Dude better than any prohibition stuff that happened so many times if you had to buy it and god knows what they did to it or cared to smuggle it to make it smell less or care about contaminates in their process and curing or in growing in general (if you want a preflush do h202 flushing before but that’s only if your bud is fuck/majorly infected ) . I honestly think as long as it’s homegrown and u know what’s in it and ur not doing anything bad, smoke it, mold ain’t bad Inless it’s crazy rates and Inless u have immunity issues . I have so many times iso dipped (using cotton swab + dipping small amounts iso and hit any possible budrot where prev bud was sitting and use scissors and keep them. In iso and dip em and remove any of the infected and discard it) after I removed the “ budrot” piece (,which if your a outdoor guy it’s always the top nugs and Inless it’s not fully infected the bud will start with the bottom top bud where it “rest” .i would suggest keeping and never sell “cleaned up versions” ( since the mold can come back and if your a grower it’s easy to jut throw it away ) I was for personal use quality scanning and anything budrot saving for me and it’s funny if you removed that small bud you could save so many buds and I never got sick , can’t imagine over the years how many oz’s I’ve smoked i smoked and it worked perfect. Just bud scan while your burping it out and cure it for 1-2 months and make sure it’s it’s not infected .

Key is with “ budrot “ at bud is have only 10-25% only in each jar or buckets and always be checking for any infected budrot buds after that with a good flashlight ( I bought a rechargeable beam light jut for that quality checking)
I dealt my share back in the day. Purchased every bit of it. There was definitely mold, bugs and who knows what else in those bales. Moldy brickweed...............fuck, we sold that shit anyway.
Not one person complained, lol.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
The level you don’t want in the budrot is when it becomes “puff balls “ or obviously the bud is dominate budrot. I was surgery removing and so many of the time I could recover god knows over the years good buds for myself and anyone who wanted it for free . as long as your good at watching it while curing and process and remove the bad ones just like moldy cheese = you’ll win

I AM

Wow...

I am in a current "fix" where I have to buy my smoke from locals. When I roll a joint....im crumbling caylx. No grinder...:confused:
{boo! Gtfoh!...throws a random tomato}

I totally get prohibition buying & totally respect ANY attempt to salvage GOOD smoke.

Still, that bud looks like the street weed im buying minus the ultra compressed appearance.

I was just talking with a local buddy about outdoor vs indoor price. Is budrot a common issue for ALL outdoor/Dep growers???

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The level you don’t want in the budrot is when it becomes “puff balls “ or obviously the bud is dominate budrot. I was surgery removing and so many of the time I could recover god knows over the years good buds for myself and anyone who wanted it for free . as long as your good at watching it while curing and process and remove the bad ones just like moldy cheese = you’ll win
If you are keeping anything, I agree with the cheese thing to a point. but mold spores spread, and a solid block of cheese doesn't allow those spores to get deep in the cheese. (I know, what about Swiss cheese :rolleyes: ) :ROFLMAO:

I think that making hash would be the safest. You are literally washing off the buds and only keeping trichomes. I'm not sure the micron size of mold spores, but I'm betting it's smaller than 120m. You could probably do some sciency investigation to find out the best "keeper" classification based on that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Only persoanl stuff that got moldy that I kept some of (after bud-by-bud inspection) I did that and then decarbed it as well to use in edibles. No chance of inhaling spores, and I have eaten way worse stuff than mold :)

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Coming from a almost 20 years outdoors and 20 years indoors (never had mold indoors )

You do realize that pm is in air always and budrot won’t even kill you right and a lighter even kills it Inless you have major immunity issues? if you saw the amounts given and smoked after cured and processed from outdoors that were infected but not allowed to be sold but were the buds were saved from that process , I laugh at any grower throwing away such diamonds and treasures . Such waste for such things that won’t even hurt me. People today are such a fear of germs when if you saw the % of germs on meat ( google allowance contamination on chicken or beef lol) or food. Yeah weeds soooo scary, no the regulation to make more cash is since it’s more required than anything besides lab based things. .. and that’s why they want the control and make it?