Hydroponic pH and nutrient availability

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I seen someone share this chart yesterday and i'm wondering what's up... not trying to be an ass, just don't want bad info being spread.
Nutrient_Chart2.gif

Here is the chart I've been using...
hydroponics-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg

Notice the difference?

So, experienced hydro growers, which one is correct? I've googled and most appear similar to the 2nd one. So is that first chart just a mistake?

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
all my grows never once checked ph I think i will start asap
Definitely not as big a deal in soil as it is hydro, but definitely couldn't hurt nonetheless.

When I grew soil I use to always ph, and found myself doing it less and less as time went on. But after switching to hydro it's definitely a necessity. I feel the nutes you use may play a role too in how much it matters to stay on top of your ph.

BerryNice

Super Active Member
Definitely not as big a deal in soil as it is hydro, but definitely couldn't hurt nonetheless.

When I grew soil I use to always ph, and found myself doing it less and less as time went on. But after switching to hydro it's definitely a necessity. I feel the nutes you use may play a role too in how much it matters to stay on top of your ph.
I think it is time i get something learn how to use it and have the tool around if needed

What you are saying is prob what i will experience TY

If you can suggest one i can buy online be great ty

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
5.5 to 6.1 is the sweet spot for my non soil systems. Swing past that too much or under it and deficiencies happen due to lockout and that is a big chase of the tail situation.

5.5 is really working in the hydro systems. Autopots like it around 5.8 ideally (coco as media) but they are not minding the 5.5.

I move it around 5.5 to 6.0 with every fill so they are always getting caught up with nutes. I top up the reservoirs every 2 or 3 days so it is constantly adjusted.

Soil is a lot easier because you almost always have a PH that is too high and have to bring it down to hydro levels...for soil you are almost always going to be in the range with rain water and nutrients (or just rain water).

If you are going to use no soil systems get a water proof PH pen. The cheap ones that are not waterproof well. I got 1 week out of that one.

I have had the bluelab for 2 years and it always works.

BerryNice

Super Active Member
@SoLowDoughLow sorry for cluttering your thread and ty

Should i also buy some kind of ph up or down to have on hand?

I just use soil DWC I do not see in my future. Every other day i knock over plants and spill soil like a idiot

I use foxfarm ocean and roots soil i mix them together to make a soil

I can not be spilling water mediums and chemicals all over the place. I have only smoked real hydro 1 time and i liked it

I really want to have dwc setup tho

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
@SoLowDoughLow sorry for cluttering your thread and ty

Should i also buy some kind of ph up or down to have on hand?

I just use soil DWC I do not see in my future. Every other day i knock over plants and spill soil like a idiot

I use foxfarm ocean and roots soil i mix them together to make a soil

I can not be spilling water mediums and chemicals all over the place. I have only smoked real hydro 1 time and i liked it

I really want to have dwc setup tho
No problem man. And that's why i switched to DWC, I was sick of getting soil everywhere and having to deal with the runoff

And yes, u definitely want ph up and down on hand

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
@Heisenbeans posted the top pic. For some reason I was under the assumption that 6.3 is that sweet spot especially since my nut ass AN with it's dookie pH perfect technology would balance out at 6.3 then give me headaches to lower it with down. The one day it would drop .1 per 1ml of down which is far from normal usually I'll get a .5ish drop from 1ml. I'm thinking its their pH perfect bullshit hindering it but the following day I came in and everything was in the 4s lol used a little too much I think and it just took longer to take affect? Lol there is a difference to your pics but the one similarity is 5.8-6 is good in both so I'd say we can chill there and be a ok

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
@Heisenbeans posted the top pic. For some reason I was under the assumption that 6.3 is that sweet spot especially since my nut ass AN with it's dookie pH perfect technology would balance out at 6.3 then give me headaches to lower it with down. The one day it would drop .1 per 1ml of down which is far from normal usually I'll get a .5ish drop from 1ml. I'm thinking its their pH perfect bullshit hindering it but the following day I came in and everything was in the 4s lol used a little too much I think and it just took longer to take affect? Lol there is a difference to your pics but the one similarity is 5.8-6 is good in both so I'd say we can chill there and be a ok
My main concern was the calcium. I was bumping up my ph to try to make it more available to the plant, but the first chart says I should have lowered it...

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
My main concern was the calcium. I was bumping up my ph to try to make it more available to the plant, but the first chart says I should have lowered it...
I know for fact that is lower now. I was locking out CA at 6.3 caused me my problems I had last week. I lowered it to 5.7 and everything has been doing well again. I was under the assumption to raise it as well. Added all this calmag when the plant couldn't even uptake it.