Humboldt County permanently bans outdoor hemp cultivation

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This is interesting and I'm kind of torn on how I should feel about this.
Unless I'm mistaken, a single generation of cross pollination, from CBD hemp to THC rich "marijuana", wouldn't cause a major shift in the marijauna strain. Couldn't it also be argued that cross pollination from high THC strains to CBD hemp fields would cause more damage since it's a lot easier to bump a CBD plant to above 0.3% THC and therefore causing it to lose it's hemp classification? Who gets to choose which industry is more important? What do you guys think about this?

cedew

Humboldt probably isn't the best place to cultivate hemp anyway. It's much closer to a traditional farming product that would do better in flat area where equipment can harvest acres of it, maybe central California. It's not really profitable in xxx gallon pots, which means more clear cutting, and because of the lower profit density of the product, maybe a *lot* more clear cutting. I think they're just trying to protect their cannabis industry and don't want to risk it over something that really wasn't going to do much for them.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Humboldt probably isn't the best place to cultivate hemp anyway. It's much closer to a traditional farming product that would do better in flat area where equipment can harvest acres of it, maybe central California. It's not really profitable in xxx gallon pots, which means more clear cutting, and because of the lower profit density of the product, maybe a *lot* more clear cutting. I think they're just trying to protect their cannabis industry and don't want to risk it over something that really wasn't going to do much for them.
I would agree with this, if we were ONLY talking about industrial hemp used for fiber, but boutique CBD and CBG smokable hemp is becoming huge. I also just find it hypocritical that all of these weed growers who were all bitching and yelling "YOU CAN'T MAKE GROWING A PLANT ILLEGAL!" for decades are behind the banning of growing hemp in their county.

D

Deleted member 60

We have a few folks growin da hemp in my area....mosly for seed production (Cherry Wine, I believe). Funny to drive by and see rows of "weed" plants. Fortunately their grow was moved another mile or so N of me......and the wind rarely blow out of the N in Summer or I'd have to grow some males and return the favor.:ROFLMAO: Pretty sure that while the hemp may not immediately affect the THc-laden weed...a bit oif THC can fuck those guys royally....and the State checks that sht regularly if you have the license (are legal to grow it). fortunatley...other than seeds...there doesn't seem to be much profit in it so grows are few/far between here.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
We have a few folks growin da hemp in my area....mosly for seed production (Cherry Wine, I believe). Funny to drive by and see rows of "weed" plants. Fortunately their grow was moved another mile or so N of me......and the wind rarely blow out of the N in Summer or I'd have to grow some males and return the favor.:ROFLMAO: Pretty sure that while the hemp may not immediately affect the THc-laden weed...a bit oif THC can fuck those guys royally....and the State checks that sht regularly if you have the license (are legal to grow it). fortunatley...other than seeds...there doesn't seem to be much profit in it so grows are few/far between here.
The pricing for quality CBD flower (for smoking/vaping) really isn't that far behind weed. Outdoor grown sells for around $125/ounce and indoor grown prices usually start at around $250/ounce. I only know this because I've been having to buy it until I finish my current CBD run. I will say that the indoor grown CBD hemp is pretty damn impressive. Tons of trichomes and terps in the strains I've tried. I can't wait to see how my Charlotte's Box turns out.

I think that, if they regulate any of it, they would be better off just mandating that breeding operations need to be done indoors or in greenhouses to keep the chance of pollinating other grow ops down as much as possible.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
The same idiots in these states looking to regulate and tax everything are the same criminals that tax rain falling on your property if you collect it. Anything they touch goes to shit, and to ask for ANY regulation of ANYTHING by these idiots is not sound thinking.
That’s fucking ridiculous being taxed for collecting rainfall. Next you’ll need to register and pay tax on your lungs drawing Oxygen from the atmosphere .

D

Deleted member 60

It's ridiculous @Ozjet68 because it's a total fuckin lie that has no basis in FACT.

No one is taxed for collecting rainfall ANYWHERE in the USA. That's another falsity that uninformed folks who don't live in the West believe and spread because they thrive on conspiracy theories and "the poor me...I'm a VICTIM" syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's ridiculous @Ozjet68 because it's a total fuckin lie that has no basis in FACT.

No one is taxed for collecting rainfall ANYWHERE in the USA. That's another falsity that uninformed folks who don't live in the West believe and spread because they thrive on conspiracy theories and "the poor me...I'm a VICTIM" syndrome.
There are watershed laws that tax landowners for having lakes or ponds that collect water - in some states - there were people fined for building ponds in Kalifornistan.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

I don’t think it is technically a tax, but I believe that the states that do have restrictions on the capacity of your collection basins do sell permits to exceed those numbers. For anyone who’s interested, this site breaks down the laws for this in each state.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I don’t think it is technically a tax, but I believe that the states that do have restrictions on the capacity of your collection basins do sell permits to exceed those numbers. For anyone who’s interested, this site breaks down the laws for this in each state.
If it is not taxed then there are regulatory fees to make sure you are in compliance with those laws. Some shitbag state inspector will come to your house and check your pond and you will pay for a piece of papopaer saying you are "legal"...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 60

There are watershed laws that tax landowners for having lakes or ponds that collect water - in some states - there were people fined for building ponds in Kalifornistan.
California has far more lax water rights laws than Colorado... ..but there are no 'taxes" here on water/water rights. Dunno about other states.

Yes...we have Water Rights laws here....going all the way back to the 1880's. Here...if your Great grandfather filed for water rights on the farm...those rights are still in effect. It all goes by a "First in Time, first in line" scenario. The older your water right is..the more "senior" it is. Anyone with a "junior" right upstream from your right can be "called" and forced to stop taking water from whatever >surface< water source they have a right to collect from if your claim on the water came befiore theirs. This usually happens mid-Summer when the runoff ceases. Well rights here are separate from surface rights....and you must obtain a permit from the State to drill a well...and that well WILL be resticted to "Household Use only" if you own less than 35 acres. The bottom line here is...if you don;t have the water right...you don't have a legal right to that water....even if it crosses your property. There are many different watersheds here...all of which have slightly differing approaches...but all of whom follow the historic ledger of who owns the water according to State law. As a result....rural property values hinge on water rights heavily here.

Colorado furnishes water to 7 other states...thus the tight hold/restrictions on the resource. This (unfair) agreement was made in the 20's...long before Colorado had much population pr pull/power to stand and protect what is rightfully theirs. That's why California (and AZ isn't far behind) recieves about 50% of our surface water and folks can swim in pools/waste water there freely. It's an artifical envorinment that cannot sustain itself without the water from CO.

I'm no fan of the system. We can't build reservoirs (or ponds) here to collect/store the water to use before sending it downstream due to this agrrement (Colorado Compact) I have a year round creek right out my front door but i have no (legal) right to the water in it.

Here...if you create a pond but have no right to do so (water right)...they just come and rip that fucker out with a dozer....no "paying for a peice of paper" or paying extra "taxes" for the right because you can't BUY a water right like that here. You either have the >historic< right to the water or you don;t. In the next drainage over from me they bulldozed 32 illegal holding ponds in one summer...and they >don't> even have to ask for permission to enter your property. (the "ditch riders" here are usually armed and they carry the FULL weight of the law behind them) They are the folks you don't fuck with here. A guy above us was taking more water than he had a rigth to...so thery chained and locked the headgate he draws water from and red tagged it with a note saying that drawing ANY water from the source would be a $500 a day fine. It took him a bit to get his right back....and I'm doubting he'll be taking more than his share from here on out. Never say never though....LOL.

Skunkle Justin

Yeah, you might want to check your facts on that. There are a lot of places where collecting rainfall will get you a fine. I’m not gonna talk politics with my gromies, but the left coast will hit you hard with whatever they can. All those welfare entitlements are very expensive to fund.

D

Deleted member 60

I went to that site as well before I spoke @cedew . As I said....I'm speaking to my home state of Colorado. Cali/other Western states definitely have far different laws concerning water than CO does. It's (collecting rainwater) not an issue here in CO because it never fucking rains here anymore. :D Most of our water comes from snowfall anyway...not rainfall. We don;t get the rains like folks East of the Mississipi do.

And for a rainbarrel...it's like weed here....they don;t come and look at how many plants you are growing >unless< you have redneck/backwards neighbors who hate weed/the smell of weed who narc you out. Even then, in my county at least...they will send the Code Volation folks out to check and try to right the situation...not po-po. I've never heard of anyone being fined for collecting rainwater. Certainly not TAXED. (LOFL) On the whole....most folks don;t bother collecting rainwater....so it's really not much of an issue here. In the city you pay for water/have a hose/can use what you want....and they just hike the price (tiered pricing) in an attempt to force "conservation". Most folks realize 110 gallons of water isn't gonna irrigate much here in the arid West.

Rainwater collection issues are more of a problem for the folks in Utah than Colorado. Utah appears (according to the site linked) to be the last state where collecting rainwater is still completely illlegal. Colorado allows 2 barrels (110 gallons) per home by law...whatever that means.

We bought a property with a well right that allows outside irrigation so we are not collecting the non-existent rainwater whatsoever. We can use all of the water we want.....and again...nobody is coming to check.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I went to that site as well before I spoke @cedew . As I said....I'm speaking to my home state of Colorado. Cali/other Western states definitely have far different laws concerning water than CO does. It's (collecting rainwater) not an issue here in CO because it never fucking rains here anymore. :D Most of our water comes from snowfall anyway...not rainfall. We don;t get the rains like folks East of the Mississipi do.

And for a rainbarrel...it's like weed here....they don;t come and look at how many plants you are growing >unless< you have redneck/backwards neighbors who hate weed/the smell of weed who narc you out. Even then, in my county at least...they will send the Code Volation folks out to check and try to right the situation...not po-po. I've never heard of anyone being fined for collecting rainwater. Certainly not TAXED. (LOFL) On the whole....most folks don;t bother collecting rainwater....so it's really not much of an issue here. In the city you pay for water/have a hose/can use what you want....and they just hike the price (tiered pricing) in an attempt to force "conservation". Most folks realize 110 gallons of water isn't gonna irrigate much here in the arid West.

Rainwater collection issues are more of a problem for the folks in Utah than Colorado. Utah appears (according to the site linked) to be the last state where collecting rainwater is still completely illlegal. Colorado allows 2 barrels (110 gallons) per home by law...whatever that means.

We bought a property with a well right that allows outside irrigation so we are not collecting the non-existent rainwater whatsoever. We can use all of the water we want.....and again...nobody is coming to check.
There have been watershed TAXES included in property taxes in certain states for property with lakes or ponds. If it is not happeniing now that's great. If you think it never happened you're wrong. And property taxes are controlled by counties in most states. Very little oversight until a lawsuit comes up.

D

Deleted member 60

DUH on the property taxes comment. Such TAXES were not mentioned by me because TAXES have no bearing...ANYWHERE..on water rights or uses here in Colorado. None.

Again...for the slow among us...Water rights here in Colorado are a STATE issue...not a county issue. (Division of Water Resources) Counties here have no power to TAX water rights/uses....and such "watershed" taxes do not exist here anywhere...in State or county level....as >>>water rights in Colorado<<<< run with.... but are seperate from land ownership and contribute nothing to the tax base. Water isn't considered as "personal property" even though ownership of water can be worth more than your land at times. (land here is undevelopable w/o water) To think otherwise or to mention "taxes" in the same sentence as "WATER"...in any fashion... means >you< are wrong/uninformed.

However... the DWR does have many other ways of being in your life here...with our without surface water rights....such as setting up "Augmentation basins" and forcing you to meter and report.....twice a year....the usage on your private well to track usages/determine if your usage impacts users downstream. If all users in the Augmentation Plan for that area use water excessively.....the state can come in and limit uses and take further measures to ensure compliance.....but they do not use tax burdens as a means of control. They just cut your ass off from using water.

Back to the hemp issue....all of those cats farming hemp here have to have water rights of some sort as well to even play. Either an out and out right to irrigate from surface water...or a well permit like I have that allows livestock/a percentage of your land to be irrigated...say...for a garden/etc.
Otherwise...you aren't growing anything.