HPS with a hood and no heat extraction.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have an XL buster hood for my HPS. I recently put this back in my bloom room to bring a tent on line for outdoor stuff. So the HPS is in my bloom room.

I started running it at 750 watts (from 600) and the heat is still in range.

Can you run the bulbs with just a regular fan blowing the air out of the hood? It is just blowing through the hole in the buster.

Do you take the glass off?

I have it hanging open 1/4 inch from the lock clasps for the glass.

I can run it at 1000 watts and I want to. It will probably bloom 5 x 5 or so which is about the same as the 700 watts of cob i pulled out.

In breaking news....blurple has been REMOVED from the garden...SUCK IT MARS. I hate that fucking light.

I would rather run HPS :D

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Yep, take the glass off to allow the heat to dissipate away from the bulb better. You must have some nice cool temps to run that way. Cold temps are always easier to rectify than too much heat.

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
I could never use a hood in a tent without it being air cooled...unless I leave the front door to the tent open with a fan blowing into the tent...but if I did that my house would smell like skunks lol....I do have a open room in the basement to on the other side. It exhausts out my chimney. 15 plants in 5 gallon pails. 1000 watt hps's in that room. Hard to control heat using more than 1 hps in a tent imo. Using 2 600 watter in my one tent...can keep that tent lots cooler than using 2 1000 watter.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
It is in a room . The room had 1400 watts in bloom and is 1550 at 1k on it will 1800.

I am happy it's working

And it proves to me one thing...700 watts produces the equivalent heat...cant do much about it.

For LED the heat is shared with the lights and the drivers.

For HPS the heat is coming out of the blasting bulb more than the driver (it feels that way) but the end result is...the temp is the same.

I bet if i add a 240 watt bar and run it the temp will be the same as if i turn the hPS to 1000. Where you gain is the ability to use 700 watts to cover the same space as an HPS1000.

Last edited:

Sc006

If I know anything. I know nothing.
It is in a room . The room had 1400 watts in bloom and is 1550 at 1k on it will 1800.

I am happy it's working

And it proves to me one thing...700 watts produces the equivalent heat...cant do much about it.

For LED the heat is shared with the lights and the drivers.

For HPS the heat is coming out of the blasting bulb more than the driver (it feels that way) but the end result is...the temp is the same.

I bet if i add a 240 watt bar and run it the temp will be the same as if i turn the hPS to 1000. Where you gain is the ability to use 700 watts to cover the same space as an HPS1000.
Hello how it going? Hps throws out allot of IR light. Thats one of the reasons there hotter. But your right watt a watt.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Something funny...when i pushed it to 1000 watts it worked for a while and then...i was looking at the temp and saying why is it dropping...lights out is in 2 hours..

Timer bar BOOM.. So if you push one of those right around 15 amps it goes BOOM.

1720 watts = 14.33 amps....and that fan came on and it stopped. Tomorrow i will get the 2nd timer so i can stage the lights.

but at exactly 15 amps a timer can cease to function. And there is no hermy coming. this was discovered fast :D