How to maintain a male

Cabl3t3ch

Pretty much what the thread says. How do you do it?
I took a cut of my one G13hp male. Do these boys keep throwing balls? 18hrs light or 24?
Any tricks to keeping a stud around?
Revegged lemon haze male once. Just left some lower growth on it and back to 24/0 light. 2 weeks later tons of new growth

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
On my plants I take cuts way before those plants are in my flower tents. All plants have a name tag so the clones match what I have in veg.
As soon as they are rooted I put in the veg room for 10 days.
Then I take my tray of cuts which are in small pots and stick them in a flower room in a corner.
They trip to flower and tell sex.
Then I know which veg plants are fems or males.
I have a hard time throwing plants away so I get rid of the clones that show male and leave those females where they sit...they don't amount to much but you get to smoke the fems before you flower out plants from seed. Then you can decide which fems will make it into your flower room.

On reveg...i haven't had to do that for long time but when i have done it i flush the plant of any flower nutes and start giv g it veg nutes under 18 hours of light. Sometime it will take long time for some shoots to come out. Some plants may have some autoism in them ...those ones will never reveg.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
My G13hp started flowering on his owne. I did take cuts. Just was wondering if they stop throwing balls. Sounds like they are like the girls and aways have a few. Iv collected lots of pollen, should be good but I would like to keep him around till I'm sure I have seed happening.

I AM

I never know wtf is going to happen after 12/12. I run 2-3 beans per strain. That way i can pull 4-12 strains at once.

That said...i chop the entire male stalk EXCEPT for one node. I close a clean ziplock over top of it & let the flowers pop inside.

I have ran male cuts with grown pollen pods in a kloner @ 20/4 with no dust issue

XtraG

Should one of the first clones be used as the father for future male clones in veg or should the plant from seed become the father permanently in veg? Sounds like the clone not the seedling, to prevent early pollen.

I'll probably run a semi isolated veg area/closet for males since it sounds like there are some risks of unexpected pollen no matter what.

Last edited: