How to do 12/12 from seed? Pros? Cons?

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Fellow growers,

Was thinking about doing a 12/12 from seed. I am pondering a few things of which I would like to have a discussion on. I have never done 12-12 from seed, so my input can only be predictive. On to the questions.

1) Anything to watch out for? Plant training issues? Can one defoliate or should one defoliate?

2) Pros of this method?
-less time; faster production
-save $

3) Cons of this method?
The only con I can see is lesser yield.

Any thoughts?
-Thanks

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Fellow growers,

Was thinking about doing a 12/12 from seed. I am pondering a few things of which I would like to have a discussion on. I have never done 12-12 from seed, so my input can only be predictive. On to the questions.

1) Anything to watch out for? Plant training issues? Can one defoliate or should one defoliate?

2) Pros of this method?
-less time; faster production
-save $

3) Cons of this method?
The only con I can see is lesser yield.

Any thoughts?
-Thanks
When it comes to 12/12, Ive noticed there isnt a lot of time for much "training" unless your talking about tiedowns etc.
12/12 runs are excellent for pheno hunts and with the right plants and the right plant count, can be nice at harvest too. When I tested for other breeders, I often did 12/12 basically from seed. I noticed even if you run 12/12 from seed, it often wont flower til its ready -as to where most mature or teen veg plants flipped will revert to flower quickly, the ones from 12/12 seemed to take longer to flip. It was mostly the males that were quick to show sex while the girls showed when they were ready to show (usually 10+ days to even begin to reveal sex). If you are used to vegging for weeks with your plants, you will likely see a decrease in harvest in exchange for a speedier harvest. Thats just my experience though and others may have a different opinion based on their experiences.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I do it to control the size of the plant. Only downsides i seem to have is it takes a tad longer to finish out, you might lose yield, but I grew a 2 oz dried main cola of @Useful s ChemD x Choc d from seed that way. It also lets ya use smaller pots for more plants, etc, but my main thing is even further along, no real need to defoliate, can train the plant, etc. My only advice in doing this is lollipop the plants, thats whats worked best for me, No topping, cut off the lower one or two levels of branches for cuts for you or your friends and let the main cola grow. Gotta have good air movement. Mine did take almost 4 months, but not many smaller bushy buds, main cola and some bigger uppers. I never defoliate, so Im the wrong guy to talk about that part. Ive actually had good luck with it, plants not growing into the light, taller skinnier plants but bigger buds and more plants. Kinda evens out the yield thing, if you can do some numbers

All my plants last run were 12/12 in < 1 gal containers. Had around 10 plants and yielded around 19 oz. I didn’t do much training besides topping a few, and lollipopping. I did defoliate for better air flow as I had some massive colas. Just likely will need more frequent watering if in soil due to smaller containers.

18B

Master of Mayhem
Banned
I ran Shanties Black Widow 12/12 from seed years ago...I had them veg for 1 week above soil and flipped...they were in 7 gal bags...they were like 8' tall by day 40 and I snapped them over and at 10 wks they were 8' again and 10" from the lights...they went about 100 days.
When I smoked it I thought I was going to have a heart attack and was peeking out the curtains every second...I got rid of it all.
Not saying that effect will happen.
I prefer more Indica type effect as I am high strung as it is.
I also veg my plants at least 55 days to maturity.
A good sativa can be grown that way.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Good thread. So, what about 12/12 from rooted clone? Probably faster flower onset and finishing? I'm about to find out. Gonna toss 10 clones from the new Cobanana project in 1 gal pails. Me b psyched. 🎶
Man Amos, your gonna love that. Thats what I was running before all the testers/chucks. Donkey dick colas on majority of indica dom strains run with zero training done in a fraction of the time. You know me brother, Im not a "weight obsessed" kinda guy, but the numbers were always there at harvest. Mix that with Brisco's finest and its on.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
When it comes to 12/12, Ive noticed there isnt a lot of time for much "training" unless your talking about tiedowns etc.
Oh yeah we’re talking tie downs and stakes only. Now about pheno hunting, when you start flowering a plant and like the look of her, how do you reverse flower back to vegetation and is that recommended to make a clone mother? Will the clones be strange if you stress the plant like that?

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
they don't bush up as much when flowered from 12/12, and the stretch starts with em being smaller, so its a more slender, easy to mess with plant. Never had to stake up a plant from 12/12, but again, I figured out early on, don't top or pinch when doin it, it will put more energy in that main cola and the bigger uppers. Then like if in one gallon smarties, you can almost stack em together right smack next to each other. I have too many seeds to worry bout revegging, lol. I got to get em all growed. I do sometimes what I call girdling, take some hemp jute twine and basically put a loose belt on the plant, the buds will grow out from the leaves, its not a net, but it makes the plant kinda do the same thing. jme. Reveggin to me is like growin in solo cups, lol. You know that rootball bound thingie. Why stress the plant so early, then act surprised when it throws nanners or something later on, even with a transplant. Plant has already been triggered or stressed to that side of things.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Oh yeah we’re talking tie downs and stakes only. Now about pheno hunting, when you start flowering a plant and like the look of her, how do you reverse flower back to vegetation and is that recommended to make a clone mother? Will the clones be strange if you stress the plant like that?
Leave a bit of flower lower on the plant at harvest and revert to 24hrs veg light. My last couple reveg's took about 3-4 wks on average to get to full reveg. My current Mothers Milk was done like that and I've been running her for like 1.5 yrs now with not a single banana, ball ever. You can see I left the buds (even on the second pic) on there for a bit until I started getting 3 & 5 blade fans coming in. Thats when I chopped all the old stuff off. As you can see, she didnt mind it a bit, and is an amazing plant in many ways.
MM reveg.jpg MM.jpg Mothers Milk reveg.jpg MM new.jpg

Only way your gonna get around a reveg is if you take clones from every plant in the pheno hunt. That sure does eat up a lot of time and real estate though. For the folks that follow their plant count, stuff like that can be a factor.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
11/13 after a week with 18/6 from prior run. 2.5 litre pots and some smaller 1 litre pots.

View attachment 13919View attachment 13918

10.5/13.5 from seed this run. About 1litre pots. It barely just started flowering. As @HydroRed said, this should work great for pheno hunting.

View attachment 13920
I can see how you would get a nice feel for the plant pheno’s. So, do clones taken from a re-veg’ed plant turned to mother still produce great smoke? I may have mis understood Hydro’s reply.

I would just go and try a re-veg’ed mother for myself but I have limited resources and time is super valuable to me at this point.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I can see how you would get a nice feel for the plant pheno’s. So, do clones taken from a re-veg’ed plant turned to mother still produce great smoke? I may have mis understood Hydro’s reply.

I would just go and try a re-veg’ed mother for myself but I have limited resources and time is super valuable to me at this point.
That revegged plant (momma) will give cuts that are 100% exactly like the plant you revegged. If it was bomb smoke/didnt intersex/had awesome structure/smelled like berries/crystals coating it/taste like cotton candy and finished in 52 days.....thats exactly what you will get from the clones from that re-vegged plant (momma). Select a winner, reveg it into a momma, and enjoy the fruits from that momma's cuts.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
That revegged plant (momma) will give cuts that are 100% exactly like the plant you revegged. If it was bomb smoke/didnt intersex/had awesome structure/smelled like berries/crystals coating it/taste like cotton candy and finished in 52 days.....thats exactly what you will get from the clones from that re-vegged plant (momma). Select a winner, reveg it into a momma, and enjoy the fruits from that momma's cuts.
Yeah I guess I’m on a serious pheno hunt then.