How much Magnesium?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
How much mag do cannabis plants need? Some bitchy chick on another forum is saying there is enough magnesium in one tablespoon of molasses to a gallon of water.

I googled how much mag there is in one TBSP of molasses, and it’s about 50 mg. That’s one half of one tenth of a gram - about the size of a grain of rice. And that’s for a whole gallon. I would think most indoor plants are only getting half a gallon at a time, so only 25mg.

So, is it enough? I’ve been using way more than that via Epsom salts and my plants are doing great and she thinks I’m lucky my plants aren’t dead.

Rooted

Plant whisperer
How much mag do cannabis plants need? Some bitchy chick on another forum is saying there is enough magnesium in one tablespoon of molasses to a gallon of water.

I googled how much mag there is in one TBSP of molasses, and it’s about 50 mg. That’s one half of one tenth of a gram - about the size of a grain of rice. And that’s for a whole gallon. I would think most indoor plants are only getting half a gallon at a time, so only 25mg.

So, is it enough? I’ve been using way more than that via Epsom salts and my plants are doing great and she thinks I’m lucky my plants aren’t dead.
No molasses supplies cal and sugars for microbes.
Epsom is mag and sulfur. The combo of 1tbsp each per gallon is pretty balanced and will usually supply enough cal and mag for most situations. But its more a soil kinda thing to not use calmag in bottle. The sugars are useless unless youre feeding microbes. Adding bottle calmag is easier and more balanced but dont feed microbes.
But long story short no. Mollasses will not supply enough mag alone and it makes water thick. But microbes in soil love it.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL

I think that it's important for that Mag to be available. That does not mean that if there is a mag excess, that your plants will suck it up and OD on it.

Show your critic your plants and tell her to mark them and show where the epsom salt overdose is. :)

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I think that it's important for that Mag to be available. That does not mean that if there is a mag excess, that your plants will suck it up and OD on it.

Show your critic your plants and tell her to mark them and show where the epsom salt overdose is. :)
I did show them. That's when she said I've been lucky to not kill them with that much epsom salts.

BTW, my recipe for the homemade Cal-Mag that I've been using is 1/2 cup of calcium solution made from eggshells and vinegar, 1/3 cup molasses and 1/3 cup epsom salts. I use 5 ml of that solution to one gallon of water (in addition to the other nutes) every time I feed. I feed 3 times followed by a plain pH'd watering.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I'm not really sure how much they need but I use Dyna-Gro Grow in veg and the Grow and Bloom in flower. I add Mag-Pro after 21 days in flower. They always look healthy to me with what's already in there. I think the Mag-Pro fattens them up a little extra for me.
Just curious, how much of the mag pro are you running? I run 2-3ml/gal of Foliage pro and just started using mag pro as my waters been all over the place and mag deficiencies have popped up in all of our plants, throughout three tents and multiple different strains. I bought an RO filter that I should have up and running tonight or tomorrow, but I’m the meantime I started adding 1ml of Mag Pro. I’m still in veg so I’m trying to avoid having too much P, although FP is 9-3-6, and my root zone is well-colonized with Mammoth P, so I’m probably overthinking the phosphorous part.

Just curious, how much of the mag pro are you running? I run 2-3ml/gal of Foliage pro and just started using mag pro as my waters been all over the place and mag deficiencies have popped up in all of our plants, throughout three tents and multiple different strains. I bought an RO filter that I should have up and running tonight or tomorrow, but I’m the meantime I started adding 1ml of Mag Pro. I’m still in veg so I’m trying to avoid having too much P, although FP is 9-3-6, and my root zone is well-colonized with Mammoth P, so I’m probably overthinking the phosphorous part.
I use 2 ml per gallon after 3 weeks in flower. 4 ml per gallon after 5 weeks in flower. None in veg.

I switched from Foliage Pro to Grow. Grow has more micros.

Hillbill

Molasses is great for micro herd with available carbon but also sulphur and iron and potassium and I use it every week or so and in teas, Kmag and Kelp products for Magnesium.