How Many Years?

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
I was looking at the spreadsheet that I use to track my little garden and saw that I finished about 3 dozen plants in 2019, that's males, females and seed runs.

I harvested about 100 blueberry seeds and 2 or 3 hundred Cinderella 99 x Blueberry seeds over the last day or so, putting my personal collection well into 4 figures. That's over 30 years worth of seeds and I'm already an old fart.

It just seems like a fun way to enumerate your collection. How many years worth of seeds do you have to support your garden at its present rate? Who's got the most ridiculous(in a good way) supply of beans? Anyone have 100 years worth? 500? Who is the Seed Hoarder Champion here in Paradise?

Vee

Ancient Member
I'm about the same as you but tho I do weigh my 'beans'
I prefer to use heaped teaspoons full(indicaxsativa cross) at about 250 seeds per heaped tsp
I store my seeds in the freezer in old medical bottles then in old lunch boxes ..lol
as for individual strains currently about 30-40 phenos of both auto and photo strains
and am leaning toward old school land races, I prefer in the future.

I've just found a frozen large bottle of Power Plant x Kerala
about half a pound or easy 100 years worth...
but I'm not into 'that' Kerala, this sth Indian Sativa has lost her lemon/fruit salad flavorsl
I'll use for germing teas

cheers/

ps I've been suffering from blank pollen latly ..I suggest I'm pollinating too soon...?

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
Well... If I Iine them up, all in a row, they'd go pretty damn far down the "pot" road. lol
Been breeding different crosses for future personal interests for about 20 years.
How many different crosses do you have in your collections?
I honestly don't know.
I've only been growing for 4 or 5 years and chucking for <1. Just a baby in gardening years. Some of you long timers probably have cool shit you don't even realize you have.

I just did a quick 'n' dirty count (regs only, not counting the small number of fems)and there's about a dozen IBL's and around 16 or 18 crosses in the vault. Not 100% sure on the lineage of a few, so numbers aren't precise. I'm not looking to add any more outside crosses, any additions will be stable IBLs.
As it is, there are enough diverse genes in the collection that if I never add any more seeds I could probably keep myself busy until it's time to become fertilizer. 😉
What a wonderful hobby!

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I've only been growing for 4 or 5 years and chucking for <1. Just a baby in gardening years. Some of you long timers probably have cool shit you don't even realize you have.

I just did a quick 'n' dirty count (regs only, not counting the small number of fems)and there's about a dozen IBL's and around 16 or 18 crosses in the vault. Not 100% sure on the lineage of a few, so numbers aren't precise. I'm not looking to add any more outside crosses, any additions will be stable IBLs.
As it is, there are enough diverse genes in the collection that if I never add any more seeds I could probably keep myself busy until it's time to become fertilizer. 😉
What a wonderful hobby!
Beware!
Seed Collecting is "addicting"
Just ask any of us, we are all struggling. lol

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
At this,current rate of 2 4x4's perpetual if all would go as planned I have probably 25 different strains and a couple hundred seeds. Made a few of my own by accident. A dub x macxaaw not a bad cross to run if I ever run out. In a few years. Atleast 3 yrs.
Been growing for 2 in March!! Yahoooi

Keyown1

Super Active Member
Come on, play the game. At least give it a try. ;) How many years could you grow, no cloning, seed only, at your current rate from your current inventory?
if I didn't buy or make another seed, maybe 5 years. Since no one outside of you guys know that I grow, I'd just end up that guy who died with all these great seeds and genetics wasted. I don't want to be that guy.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
I was looking at the spreadsheet that I use to track my little garden and saw that I finished about 3 dozen plants in 2019, that's males, females and seed runs.

I harvested about 100 blueberry seeds and 2 or 3 hundred Cinderella 99 x Blueberry seeds over the last day or so, putting my personal collection well into 4 figures. That's over 30 years worth of seeds and I'm already an old fart.

It just seems like a fun way to enumerate your collection. How many years worth of seeds do you have to support your garden at its present rate? Who's got the most ridiculous(in a good way) supply of beans? Anyone have 100 years worth? 500? Who is the Seed Hoarder Champion here in Paradise?
I probably have upwards of 1k breeders packs + a bunch of gear I’ve bred....So a while. But I pop maybe 200 seeds at a time, so not quite as long as it seems.

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
I probably have upwards of 1k breeders packs + a bunch of gear I’ve bred....So a while. But I pop maybe 200 seeds at a time, so not quite as long as it seems.
See that's why I thought it was an interesting/fun question. Without context, quantities don't mean much. 1000 seeds is many years in my hobby grow, while to you it's just a few rounds.

I find seeking the perspectives of others can often be enlightening, in growing and in most aspects of life.

Last edited: